Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2014, 21:05   #1
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44
Oregon Trail boat buying senerio

You're done with the world you're living in and decided to take 5 years off and go for a cruise or just living aboard where ever you want.

The game is you pick 1, 2 or 3 + 4 and describe your boat buying strategy, boat of choice, condition of vessel at purchase and trip or area you plan to explore the next 5 years.

1> Banker

You have $500,000 - $1,000,000 boat buying budget 10k a month in annuities but you have to come back and tend to business in 5 years.

2> Carpenter

100k to 250k boat buying budget earnings are $3,000 to $5,000k a month but you have to keep working as you go

3> Farmer

You have 30k - 100k in the Bank and you make $300 a week at Joe job xyz

4> Bonus Sail

Customize your own scenario

Repeated. The game is you pick 1, 2 or 3 + 4 and describe your boat buying strategy, boat of choice, condition of vessel at purchase and trip or area you plan to explore the next 5 years.

If you want to play a different game start another thread with you're own version.
satdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 21:11   #2
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Oregon Trail boat buying senerio

Oh this going to be fun.

I'll have to think about this a bit overnight

Best saltymonkey
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 21:45   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I wonder if you'd tell us what "Bonus Sail" means in the context of your game? Thanks.

Ann
Old 09-04-2014, 23:14   #4
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
I wonder if you'd tell us what "Bonus Sail" means in the context of your game? Thanks.

Ann
It's says under bonus sail to create your own scenario, which basically means I'm not part of 1,2 or 3 nor am I going to agree to play this game.

It's for all the people that don't want to play the game. I'm pretty sure the whole game is going to be just "bonus sail." I'm hoping some people will read the post and pick 1, 2 or 3 but I'm sure that will end after the first few post. You and saltymonkey are already members of the bonus sail group unless you'd like to take a number.

Everybody can be a winner if they just pick a number and go with it.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:26   #5

Okay, I'll wing it:

I'm not quite sure why I need to explain it to a farmer, but I guess what I'd say, is something like, "just like you have the heart that says you will confront vagaries of weather because you just love the little shoots coming up in spring, watching them grow, and then the bountiful harvest if the weather gods have been kind, I love the sea, and even though she can be a mean old thing (like when the weather gods have been unkind) that is where I am going to spend the remainder of my life.

"I have not much money, so I must find a vessel to carry me that I can afford, and afford also to keep up mechanically. It must be small enough that I as a small woman can handle the sails, but large enough to carry food and water for my longer voyages. I want wind steering, as well as an autopilot." I'd explain to the farmer that wind steering does not require power other than the wind, so if it were too light, I could rest and await wind to carry on.

"It would be between 30 and 35 ft. in length, have a diesel auxiliary engine in good working nick. I'd consider sloop or cutter, grp, most likely (doesn't seem like the budget would run to strip plank epoxy modern construction) fin or cutaway forefoot type keel, rig with inline spreaders. I'll be interested in the sturdiness of construction and would have to look at a lot of boats. secure sea berth, and handholds. I'll work till I can afford new sails for her. I shall need about 50 US gal water capacity and perhaps 20 US gal diesel. Chart storage space. My boat will be simple because I am not an electric stuff wiz. Which also means that while I use and value electronic aids, I'd be hopeless at fixing them. " For the dreaded electronics, I'd carry a GPS (or two), an autopilot, and an SSB radio, VHF, depth sounder, and would like to have a windpoint and anemometer. I'd like to add a salt water pump to the galley. Two burner propane stove, preferably with an oven (I like to bake bread, but it can be done in a Dutch oven on top the burner). I'd like to have a toilet, rather than use a bucket.

and now I have to stop, because it occurs to me thatif I am including someone else, all the parameters change, and I would never force abstemious standards on a friend--and only someone who is foremost a friend would I wish to voyage with.

Thanks for an interesting mental exercise, satdiver. It is that for me, the sea has amazing things to offer, and that draw, and the willingness to undergo discomfort for the pleasures are difficult for me to try and explain.

Ann
Old 10-04-2014, 19:17   #6
cruiser

Well I spun my head all day trying to come up with something as strong as what Ann posted. I give her the prize on excellence and pointing out the issues of explaining.

Started to write a manifesto of all the steps from survey, to pricing the refit, to the angst of returning to shore again, but I'm boring myself to death.
Old 10-04-2014, 21:06   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Well I spun my head all day trying to come up with something as strong as what Ann posted. I give her the prize on excellence and pointing out the issues of explaining.

Started to write a manifesto of all the steps from survey, to pricing the refit, to the angst of returning to shore again, but I'm boring myself to death.
I'm still thinking on my own end. It's actually been a half decent exercise since I'm not used to thinking.
Old 10-04-2014, 21:09   #8

Ya know, satdiver, if you get Double Whisky involved in this, he'd likely have very different answers from mine! And possibly, more in tune with your thinking, as well. Just a thought.

Ann
Old 10-04-2014, 21:22   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Ya know, satdiver, if you get Double Whisky involved in this, he'd likely have very different answers from mine! And possibly, more in tune with your thinking, as well. Just a thought.

Ann
I'm trying to think if I should go with my past buying scenario that landed me in my current boat or go with the future one I'm working on now. Becuase in my current situation I got this boat to take off 4 years for a circumnavigation and ended up with a lady friend before I could set sail. I completely redid the interior and systems of the boat for the southern ocean so now it's not that liveable for two looking to spend time in ports. I actually kinda went overboard financially which would not work in a summary.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:50   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdiver View Post
I'm trying to think if I should go with my past buying scenario that landed me in my current boat or go with the future one I'm working on now.
Go with the new one. Since the new one is a plan, not a completed one, and this is supposed to be a game of sorts.

I may just enter the game by doing one post at a time.

Tags
buying, oregon