Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 11:40   #1

Opinions, Please, on Hunter Cherubini

hello
Any and all opinions welcome on a 1980's 37 hunter cherubini. The good, the bad and the ugly please. And for those who would venture into a fair price quote....... has all equipmet except radar, solar or wind gen, is in good overall condition with dinghy and outboard....sails and rigging in good or better condition except for the main (well worn).......thanks,
have a great drink
kb
koalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:53   #2
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Opinion Please on Hunter Cherubini

Quote:
Originally Posted by koalla View Post
hello
Any and all opinions welcome on a 1980's 37 hunter cherubini. The good, the bad and the ugly please. And for those who would venture into a fair price quote....... has all equipmet except radar, solar or wind gen, is in good overall condition with dinghy and outboard....sails and rigging in good or better condition except for the main (well worn).......thanks,
have a great drink
kb

Get a good survey. Decorative wood can hide some of the important "leaky" places. Also know that they are tender and won't make the best bluewater boat.

However, the 33' I looked at had the best head I've ever seen in a boat of that size and I still pine for it.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 13:15   #3

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

These cutter -rigged boats seem to be popular for coastal cruisers hopping over to the Bahamas and Dry Tortugas from Florida. There are a few for sale at www.sailboatlistings.com, with one I noticed has dropped to $25k. Seems like some were produced with small (15hp?) diesels, which could be marginal, depending on how you will use the boat. Enjoy the search.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 13:49   #4

Rakuflames.................check this out.

"All of us Cherubini owners think so. And yes, the Hunters from around 1975 through 1984 were designed by John Cherubini. Those would be the 25, 27, 30, 33, 36, 37-cutter, and 54. There were at least two other Hunters built in 1984 after Mr. Cherubini finished his stay.

I think the H40 and the H31 first came out in 1984. Those were the first of the Hunter internal design team boats. John Cherubini's son, also John, frequents this site and often provides interesting history. You can also learn a lot just by Googling "John Cherubini".

The boats are solid and traditional. They were built before it was known just how thin you can make a plastic boat. So they were overbuilt, kind of like an old 1948 Ford compared to a new one. They sail very well and are an inexpensive way to get into a seaworthy boat. I bought mine because I wanted an affordable cutter in which I could safely ply the big waters. And I have. "

it somewhat adds to the confusion...........I'm on the west coast BC and have in mind to start coast cruising California - Alaska before make any great trans-ocean crossing. the survey is a definate must.....and much of the capability is pending skipper experience...........what do you think. It's an elderly couple switching to rving
it might be the time to buy............cheers
Old 13-10-2011, 19:47   #5

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 37'
Send a message via Yahoo to harmarty

I have been living on a 1984 Hunter Cherubini for 2 yrs. now. It is a good boat a few thinks to look at are the the preachers bench in the aft where the rudder post hangs. These are known for rot. I replaced mine with marine plywood and used the west system to seal it... and pay close attention to the exhaust manifold where the heat exchanger is... This rotted out on us and we didn't realize it until we were motoring out of the marina one day... That was a lucky find at a lucky time and place... Other than that we have really enjoyed the boat... But we are looking to sell her to get something a little bit bigger...
harmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 20:36   #6
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by koalla View Post
Rakuflames.................check this out.

"All of us Cherubini owners think so. And yes, the Hunters from around 1975 through 1984 were designed by John Cherubini. Those would be the 25, 27, 30, 33, 36, 37-cutter, and 54. There were at least two other Hunters built in 1984 after Mr. Cherubini finished his stay.

I think the H40 and the H31 first came out in 1984. Those were the first of the Hunter internal design team boats. John Cherubini's son, also John, frequents this site and often provides interesting history. You can also learn a lot just by Googling "John Cherubini".

The boats are solid and traditional. They were built before it was known just how thin you can make a plastic boat. So they were overbuilt, kind of like an old 1948 Ford compared to a new one. They sail very well and are an inexpensive way to get into a seaworthy boat. I bought mine because I wanted an affordable cutter in which I could safely ply the big waters. And I have. "

it somewhat adds to the confusion...........I'm on the west coast BC and have in mind to start coast cruising California - Alaska before make any great trans-ocean crossing. the survey is a definate must.....and much of the capability is pending skipper experience...........what do you think. It's an elderly couple switching to rving
it might be the time to buy............cheers
Just a point -- that's not the only Hunter they made. I have a 31' NON-Cherbubini. That means I don't have that wonderful head. I looked at a 33' but it had laminated sails that were starting to delaminate, and hidden water damage around the shrouds, and oil thick enough to spread like peanut butter, and I passed on it. But I still have wonderful dreams about the size of that head!

Another problem with that boat ... the water tank">fresh water tank was only SIX gallons, and the holding tank also very small. And the stove used CNG, something you just can't get where I live.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 10:18   #7

thanks raku..........you know the last few days I've started talking myself out of the hunter 37C ..... no winch, small tanks, the owner had changed over to propane...and although it seems the boat is in decent condition he is asking a fefty price.
I appreciate everone's input on this yet am running a 63.5% against buy a cherubini or this one anyway.............now where is the boat that'll do it for me?
cheers

Tags
hunter cherubini