Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2004, 17:38   #1
Pat

Opinions, Please - Junk Rig

I've been reading Voyaging on a Small Income. In that book, the virtues of a junk rig are discussed...particularly that they can be easily handled by someone without a lot of strength (that would be me....). Crusing Under Sail mentions that the disadvantage is a lack of additional sails to be set in light weather and possible chafing in the parrels.

So here is my question: does anyone have experience or know about this type of rigging? What are your opinions?

When we do our cruising retirement (60, 70, etc ages) I need to know that we will be able to handle the sails in all types of weather and am thinking that a junk rig might be easier to deal with than most other configurations.

What is the good and the bad?

Thanks for your input!
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2004, 20:24   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Here was a whole thread on junk rigs that might interest you!

http://cruisersforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=482

....................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2004, 15:48   #3
Pat

thanks!
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 22:42   #4

Boat: Benford 34" Junk Rigged Dory
Are you still out there? This post was a long time ago. I am new here and just wondering. I built and have been cruising on a Benford Dory, the Badger design, junk rig and all, but will not mess with more words unless you are still out there and interested. Evening, Greg
svwillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 13:39   #5

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
junk rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
I've been reading Voyaging on a Small Income. In that book, the virtues of a junk rig are discussed...particularly that they can be easily handled by someone without a lot of strength (that would be me....). Crusing Under Sail mentions that the disadvantage is a lack of additional sails to be set in light weather and possible chafing in the parrels.

So here is my question: does anyone have experience or know about this type of rigging? What are your opinions?

When we do our cruising retirement (60, 70, etc ages) I need to know that we will be able to handle the sails in all types of weather and am thinking that a junk rig might be easier to deal with than most other configurations.

What is the good and the bad?

Thanks for your input!
I have designed and sailed many junk rigged yachts. As for more sail if you have a small bowsprit say 3ft long you can run up a cruising shute and when trying to go to windward a small jib is very handy. Luf parrell wear is simple to cure you cover the parrells with some alcathene plastic water tube. If you would like any more help or advice please contact me on psg1640@gmail.com
All advice is FREE
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 17:30   #6

Boat: Benford 34" Junk Rigged Dory
Hello Feesgood

Annie Hill really does a good job in her book. We built the same boat, with a few of my own changes.

I would never cruise long term on any other rig. We are spoiled by its ease. The other fellow that replied has it right I would say. I messed around a bit with adding a jury rigged bowsprit and borrowed friends head sails to see how it would help to windward. It for sure did, but not so much for what we do to make me want to rig one up full time. Extra gear, extra work up forward, extra cost, no need. But it did help.

Chafe, well, I figure all rigs chafe. The nice thing about this rig is that even if you lose one or several parrells, or batten ties, even a sheet part, nothing dramatic happens. All have happened to me. If the weather permits I fix it then, if not, adjust and keep going, no worries.

Usually I simple do regular visual inspections as we sail, rarely does any thing let go all of a sudden. I just make it part of maintenance to replace the bits as needed.

My wife can do everything on the boat without the help of any winches. We have two small single speen winches to help top up the sail when running and do not what to alter course to deal with it, but that is all.

Well, have to go. Check out my site, pictures and attempts at writing there.
Log of s/v Willow

Greg
svwillow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
junk rig