Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2017, 00:55   #1

Boat: 2005, Dufour 38.5
Opinions on volvo penta MD2040

Hi all
After personal opinions and experiences with volvo penta 2040?
Wanting to put an offer in for a dufour 385 2005model, the only hold back i have is over the penta engine.
Some pretty horrible comments online.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thankyou
Ausluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 01:14   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Opinions on volvo penta MD2040

Balance the "pretty horrible comments" with the numbers of engines that both Volvo and Perkins have produced of these engines and not just for the marine market too, we are talking thousands.

So the heat exchanger leaks after 20 years of use with no maintenance, so do most rubber hoses on a car at that age. Solution, take it apart and replace the rubber end covers and then its ready to go.

The good news is there are lots of them about so spares are readily available the world over, just choose your colour, green or blue.

I would certainly be happy with a MD20xx series engine.

Peter
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 17:53   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Ive owned 2 x MD2020s for 17 years with no major problems, just routine maintenance, and have run many boats with MD series engines (2020, 2030, 2040). I have no serious complaints about the engines themselves. There are a few things which a bit of maintenance engineering could have easily improved, but IMO they are generally good engines.

My biggest gripe is Volvo's predatory pricing. Case in point, the starter on the MD2020 is a standard automotive Mitsubishi starter...painted green. Volvo price is about $850. Auto parts store price is about $85. Many other examples. I think there is at least one thread here about Volvo pricing.

Update:

Ha, there is such a thread...and I started it! [emoji6]

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=139769
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 16:58   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII

Yeah that is my biggest complaint about Volvo, pricing for parts. Other than that, they have had great longevity and there are thousands upon thousands out there.
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 18:28   #5
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380

I had to replace 2 VP 2030 last year not because of the engines but the sail drives needed replacing and the package worked out better if purchased with the engines. I had close to 6000 hours on the engines they still ran great and were sold to others who are using them now. Replaced with VP D2 - 40s hoping to get the same sort of life out of them
Parts prices yes you would think VP engines should be gold in colour not green but thats a common complaint with all things "marine"
Old 15-02-2020, 11:17   #6

Boat: Previous Contessa 32, Nicholson 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Ive owned 2 x MD2020s for 17 years with no major problems, just routine maintenance, and have run many boats with MD series engines (2020, 2030, 2040). I have no serious complaints about the engines themselves. There are a few things which a bit of maintenance engineering could have easily improved, but IMO they are generally good engines.

My biggest gripe is Volvo's predatory pricing. Case in point, the starter on the MD2020 is a standard automotive Mitsubishi starter...painted green. Volvo price is about $850. Auto parts store price is about $85. Many other examples. I think there is at least one thread here about Volvo pricing.

Update:

Ha, there is such a thread...and I started it! [emoji6]

Predatory Volvo Parts Pricing - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Can you tell me the MD2040 dies it has timing belt; chain ; or cig/gear timing please ?
OldSalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 13:30   #7

Boat: 31ft tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSalt1 View Post
Can you tell me the MD2040 dies it has timing belt; chain ; or cig/gear timing please ?
It has pushrods running straight from the camshaft. Very simple and very reliable. Its actually a Shibaura manufactured engine marinised and marketed by Perkins as M40 or Volvo as an MD2040.
Cowpoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 13:40   #8

Boat: Bavaria 35E

I have an MD 2030 and very pleased. In some ways it may be easier to work on than a similar sized Yanmar, depending on the location of the install and access. I was concerned after buying the Bavaria with the VP based on some forum comments, but soon realized that the "naysayers" were just forwarding on some opinions they've heard from way in the past. Yes, there may have been a VP model that had a greater amount of failures, but all manufacturers have one of those! The MD models are quite reliable. I recommend doing an oil analysis as part of your purchase due diligence. that will tell you a lot about the condition of any engine. Given that the engine is also a Perkins, you can find the same parts painted a different color and the Perkins prices may be less. As mentioned, there are thousands of these motors sold....many for non marine use (tractors, generators, etc.) As a matter of fact, the MD model is a well-sold unit for hospital generators. Would they buy a known faulty motor?
nightowle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 15:32   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpoos View Post
It has pushrods running straight from the camshaft. Very simple and very reliable. Its actually a Shibaura manufactured engine marinised and marketed by Perkins as M40 or Volvo as an MD2040.
That ^.

Ive not seen a timing gear failure, they happen I suspect, but Ive been around a lot of these engines over many years and yet to see it.
Old 16-02-2020, 04:27   #10

Things that I dont like about the MD series:

water pump">Raw water pump: to remove with the standard mount requires partial removal of an engine mount. I modified my pump so I can now just unbolt it. The pump is a standard Johnson pump body, but a Volvo proprietary flange was added and Johnson does not resell this version of the pump...you can only buy from a Volvo distributor...at a stoopid Volvo price.

Throttle and fuel shut off control rods. These rods pass thru the timing cover housing and have rediculously tiny orings on them which form a seal inside the housing. These tiny fragile orings fail and are a PITA to replace. You have to strip that quadrant of the engine then attempt to press the new orings into place without damaging them (very hard to do...buy a bunch).

Internal throttle/govenor control linkage is very Rube Goldberg...lots of levers and springs which make it a pain to reassemble. Ive never had trouble with it, but it sure does not inspire confidence. There must be a simpler more robust way to do this.

Alternator swing arm adjustment...still using this neanderthal means of belt tension adjustment on vbelt motors...geez...go with the serpentine belt version and avoid a LOT of grief.

Wiring harness design flaw. There is an unfused positive wire in the wiring harness assembly where it connects to the motor. This can overheat due to the circuit design (under sized wire and no inline fuse to blow), melt nearby wires and cause a self start condition. Ive modified mine with a heavier gauge wire and inline fuse.

Starter motor upper mount bolt. This bolt is inaccessible from anywhere near the starter, it must be accessed from the front of the engine using a very long extension which passes between engine block and heat exchanger. You cant see the bolt from there so really need a helper to align the socket as it nears the mount bolt. I have a super long extension in my kit just for this.

Predatory pricing for every part. That special green paint must be really expensive! Volvo locks down their part specs too, you cant get dimensions, specs, or cross refs...except where some cruisers have made them available.

Tags
penta, volvo