Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2015, 19:46   #1

Opinions on this 1988 Jonmeri 48 pilothouse

I'm interested in this Finnish built boat but the 2 things giving me pause are the teak decks and the hull is balsa cored. It's 1988, has been re-powered, and looks to be in great shape.

1988 Jonmeri Pilothouse Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Would I be crazy to buy a boat with teak decks and a cored hull?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
thuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 20:29   #2

Boat: Bristol 41.1
Re: Opinions on this 1988 Jonmeri 48 pilothouse

I was quite impressed with a Jonmeri 40 several years ago, but after looking closely at two of them went a slightly different direction. My friends however, bought a mid '80's model and we were fortunate to sail with them in Belize several years ago, Lovely boat.

They sailed their boat to New Zealand where they performed an extensive refit, including removing all the teak decking - a formidable proposition. There are a lot of holes to fill in that deck.

Perhaps some refurbishing of the teak decking would be possible with the boat you are considering. From the pics it looks pretty rough. Then again, it's all negotiable. The decking can always be replaced, though a light colored fiberglass non-skid is much cooler on the feet than teak. Lighter weight as well.

As to a cored hull, if the builder did it right from the start, and a survey shows no osmotic blistering or voids, I would say go for it!

I believe that the builder went out of business several years ago. I had several discussions with the former US rep over the years and he may be of help to you. Bob Rodgers in Noank, CT

http://www.rodgersyachtsales.com/about.html
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 21:36   #3

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuss View Post
Would I be crazy to buy a boat with teak decks and a cored hull?
I don't think you'd be crazy. You should be super cautious and spend a lot of time checking the core around the thru hulls, and etc. I would not trust any surveyor. Get their opinion, but also learn how to check it yourself and do it thoroughly. You really don't want a disaster. Maybe there's an owners group where they discuss the common problems, or where it's gone wrong for other boats? I feel a cored hull is fine if no one has made a mistake.

The teak decks are of course extra maintenance. My previous boat had them. They were beautiful and I loved the pirate ship vibe of that boat, but I am now too lazy.

The boat looks super cool. The cockpit layout reminds me of some friends ginormous Swan, but with a pilothouse. They have little folding chairs and beanbags, that make the big flat space of the bridge deck very livable, though they have to setup a bit harbor awning over the boom. Since it's too low to have a permanent bimini except all the way back by the wheel.
Old 20-04-2015, 21:43   #4

Nice looking boat. But I must say that I don't really get the balsa coring in a boat with a displacement of 36000 lbs. Seriously? They're trying to save weight where? Also would be nice to have a skeg on the rudder in a boat that size. And the large windows might make me a little nervous out in the middle of the ocean. But everything is a compromise and that one has some nice attributes.
sardinebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 00:56   #5

Boat: Norseman 447

» Perry Design Review: Jonmeri 48
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 07:59   #6

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticatarcher View Post
A fair review. As the owner of a pilothouse cutter, although in steel and not much like this Jonmeri, I can say that the flexibility and comfort of two helm stations allows extended cruising, as the pilothouse becomes the "nerve center". There is usually provision for great engine access below the pilothouse, too, which is not to be sneered at. The balsa core issue can be mitigated by solid FG inserts where through-hulls and bolts pass through, just as is the case with decks. Cored construction gives strength with less weight; it's the execution that matters, so you need to investigate. Finnish builders design (and designed) with their area in mind: the Baltic, which doesn't have much in the way of tides, but can get horribly stormy and cold, hence they build 'em tough and protected. The flip side of this is that I wouldn't want fixed portlights in the tropics without plenty of hatches and dorades for ventilation; these may need to be installed as I have done.

I think if you anticipate going offshore, this is a good choice, pending survey. But it's a 27 year old boat: you may face rerigging, updating of electrical systems, and a potential diesel rebuild. So you need to be hyper-critical of the true state of the boat to determine its worth today and in five years, after a through refreshing.

Oh, and the teak is a massive and potentially expensive (because of the labour) removal job, but it's one I would undertake because if it has yet to fail, it will. I love teak...on other people's boats!
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 08:10   #7
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

I have been on more than a few Jonmeri 40s and one 482 (non pilot house). Jonmeri builds some of the most beautiful boats on the planet. I could look at a Jonmeri for hours. I would agree that you should speak to Rodgers. His knowledge of that line is incredible. My opinion is that the build quality is great. I too would be concerned about the teak decks and balsa hull core.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 09:33   #8

Boat: Nautor 50 Motorsailer

Have no comment on or experience with the Jonmeri, which indeed looks pretty in the photo; but I do have a comment about a teak deck on a cored hull, and of a similar age and provenance:

I own a Nautor 50 Motorsailer, 1975, one of only 11 I'm told that were built, all at the Nautor yard in Finland. Two are in the US, both here in Ft Lauderdale as it happens, and I own one, which I bought in 1991. S&S design, cored hull and deck, teak decks. I love the look and feel of teak decks, but I was never able to maintain them sufficiently, and the still-present 1975 teak deck is way past any reasonable measure of end-of life. I'm in the process of replacing the teak with a new teak-appearing PVC alternative, PlasDECK. The process is very slow and laborious. And yes the many screw holes have to be individually sealed before the PlasDECK is cemented down. I love the result, although the work is not something I love. The cemented PlasDECK appears secure, and I am comfortable with what I anticipate having, months or so down the road. Many persons suggested removing the teak and replacing it with FG nonskid. Not my choice.

So my bottom line is, if you like having a teak deck, for me it's still worth having and enjoying; but plan on doing the necessary maintenance; and when you see it aging, start planning the replacement project.

If I had it to do over again, I would not hesitate to buy the boat; but I would have begun the replacement 10-15 years earlier.
ralter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 18:46   #9

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralter View Post
Have no comment on or experience with the Jonmeri, which indeed looks pretty in the photo; but I do have a comment about a teak deck on a cored hull, and of a similar age and provenance:

I own a Nautor 50 Motorsailer, 1975, one of only 11 I'm told that were built, all at the Nautor yard in Finland. Two are in the US, both here in Ft Lauderdale as it happens, and I own one, which I bought in 1991. S&S design, cored hull and deck, teak decks. I love the look and feel of teak decks, but I was never able to maintain them sufficiently, and the still-present 1975 teak deck is way past any reasonable measure of end-of life. I'm in the process of replacing the teak with a new teak-appearing PVC alternative, PlasDECK. The process is very slow and laborious. And yes the many screw holes have to be individually sealed before the PlasDECK is cemented down. I love the result, although the work is not something I love. The cemented PlasDECK appears secure, and I am comfortable with what I anticipate having, months or so down the road. Many persons suggested removing the teak and replacing it with FG nonskid. Not my choice.

So my bottom line is, if you like having a teak deck, for me it's still worth having and enjoying; but plan on doing the necessary maintenance; and when you see it aging, start planning the replacement project.

If I had it to do over again, I would not hesitate to buy the boat; but I would have begun the replacement 10-15 years earlier.
I own a 1983 (36') Nauticat motorsailer, also built in Finland. It has a solid hull and deck, and yes, like your boat, the teak deck is starting to wear thin, but the boat is still solid and I love her!

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 05-05-2015, 21:18   #10

Thanks for the feedback on the Jonmeri. Still considering! I still have reservations about the teak decks, cored hull, and spade rudder. In terms of weight she's also a bit heavy at 18 tons for 48 feet. But how I love a nice pilothouse!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
thuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 06:00   #11

Boat: 1987 Nauticat 38

I came across this thread seeking info on teak refinishing. I'm about to survey a Nauicat 38 with typical teak decks and trim. Excited but concerned of years of varnished trim? Now beginning to wear and in need of refinish. Can I do it afloat in its slip?
Min wax spar varnish has been recommended in other threads. Still assembling a game plan. Advice or suggestions
Thanks
jeffborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 07:54   #12

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffborn View Post
I came across this thread seeking info on teak refinishing. I'm about to survey a Nauicat 38 with typical teak decks and trim. Excited but concerned of years of varnished trim? Now beginning to wear and in need of refinish. Can I do it afloat in its slip?
Min wax spar varnish has been recommended in other threads. Still assembling a game plan. Advice or suggestions
Thanks
I own a 36' Nauticat and personally, being a student of function before beauty, and valuing my sailing time over teak maintenance I have stripped all of the old Cetol off of my brightwork and am only oiling it to protect the wood.
If you are fond of spending time varnishing you may want to go to the Nauticat users group website (nauticat@yahoogroups.com) and ask your question there. There is a boat load (pun intended) of advice in the archives.

Al, 1983 NC-36 Finlandia
Old 28-06-2015, 09:51   #13

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Have you been aboard her? That may immediately allow you to make up your mind.

For colder climes she looks a proper yacht, and the interior shots appear to be gorgeous. And well suited if you cruise with more than a couple aboard.

Get an estimate for deck renovations. If she has been in the PNW for some time, her decks may just need a sanding, repaying and some plug replacement.

My guess is she hasn't captured your heart. Boat purchases need to satisfy both the head and the heart.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote