Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2012, 08:55   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Opinions on the Westsail 42 Ketch

westsails are good boats. the 42 and 43 make great cruisers, according to neighbors who sailed each.... good choice in cruisers.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 09:43   #17

Boat: Reinell 26 "Tobi Maru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Welcome to the forum! Great people here.

First sailboat a 42 ketch? You get to college by finishing HS, after you finish JH. Droping straight away into a 35,000 pound sailboat is not the typical way it is done.
Yes, great advice indeed. I recently went from a 22' to a 28'. that challange in docking was very, very evident. Then I got to thinking how badly I'm gonna scuff the finish when I dock a 36' for the first time. So, go small first
Old 31-12-2012, 13:40   #18

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danosimp3 View Post

Yes, great advice indeed. I recently went from a 22' to a 28'. that challange in docking was very, very evident. Then I got to thinking how badly I'm gonna scuff the finish when I dock a 36' for the first time. So, go small first
I went from 25 fall of 2011 to 32 spring of 2012. You do get the feeling sometimes, you wish things were as they were when it was easier. I would like a larger engine room, would like to stand straight up everywhere. I would like to walk around the beds rather than over them. I doubt I will ever go bigger, because at 32, this boat is a big enough hole in the water.
Old 31-12-2012, 14:04   #19
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

take a look at the 43 .. a real classic and tough to find nowdays.
Old 31-12-2012, 14:13   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSail2013 View Post
Hello

I'm new to this forum and here is my first post.

I intend to buy 40' - 50' Bluewater Cruiser in the near future to begin a new chapter in my life.

I have much experience on the ocean however none of this is in sail boats. I intend to learn to sail over the next year or so while becoming familiar with whatever boat I buy through maintenance / upgrading and short jaunts in the Gulf of St Lawrence - Labrador coast. Within a couple of years I would like to go south and beyond.

I want a strong hull that is seaworthy in frigid waters yet capable to carry me around the world when my sailing skills allow.

I have been considering the Westsail 42 Ketch as a capable boat and likely candidate.

I have read much on the Westsail 32' version and taken note of a love / hate reputation this model holds yet there is little said about the Westsail 42 other than she is heavy and a good ocean cruiser.

I have a hundred questions about autopilots, communication options etc but first I have to settle on a boat.

I would very much appreciate some input from experienced sailors / boat owners on how they perceive the Westsail 42.

Kind Regards & Happy Sailing

Paul
Here is one rigged and ready:

1974 Westsail 42 Totally World Cruise Ready Sail Boat For Sale -

And a useful link:

WESTSAIL - WORLD CRUISER YACHT CO.

Good luck!
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 14:22   #21

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
The hull is 32 feet, but the overall length is closer to 40 ft. When you go into a marina, many times we were charged for length overall. Something to consider.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 14:30   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsail374 View Post
I met Walter Cronkite once when he brought his W 42 into the dock in Annapolis 30-some years ago. He had a wood captain's chair installed in the cockpit where he sat during docking maneuvers. Walter was just as uptight while tying up in a crosswind as any other owner.

The first boat that I bought was a slip down from Walter Cronkites boat,he said the boat that I was looking at was a "beautiful use of wood and canves" I wish he had not said that,because I bought it based on that statment,3 days later she was burned to the water line and I was out $1800.00...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 15:55   #23

Hi, I own a Westsail 42 ketch. We have a tall rig so our mast is the same height as the tall rig cutter. This gives her great lighter air performance when on the wind and better than single stick performance off the wind (except very far off the wind where both rigs are about equal). We have sailed in company with a W42 cutter and have been consistently faster on passages because we have more sail area. In stronger winds this advantage goes away, but our tall rig allows us to stay with the cutter upwind in heavier air, so if long distance cruising in a wide variety of conditions is anticipated, then you have probably focused on a very good boat and the right rig.
I don't agree that starting out cruising with a ketch would be any more difficult than with any other rig really. After having spent years cruising on many different rigs including sloops, cutters, ketches as well as schooners and a brigantine, I can say that after a few months you will very likely get a feel for what works and what doesn't with regards to balance, handling and performance and if having a boat that works well for shorthanded our double handed sailing is important to you it might lead you to an all in mast furling ketch like we have. I know MANY people who sail all over the world with in mast furling and of course many Oysters, most Amels and many other custom and production yachts are crossing oceans regularly with these spars. Makes shortening or adding on sail a cinch in even the worst conditions. But of course some off the wind performance is sacrificed by the hollow leach...
Be sure to watch the youtube video of Fiona's circumnavigation BTW to get an idea of the motion of a W42 in a seaway. They are quite extraordinary little vessels! Don't expect to 'steal' a good one though and fixing up an ordinary or less than perfect one might be quite expensive.
Good luck on your search!
sailadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 16:49   #24

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

When it was time to go world cruising, we were deciding between a Westsail 42/43 and a Privilege 39 catamaran.

I would have been happy in either yacht, but my wife cast the deciding vote in favor of level sailing. We ended up with the catamaran.

I would still love to have the Westsail. It's an awesome bluewater yacht.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 22:34   #25

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
The first boat that I bought was a slip down from Walter Cronkites boat,he said the boat that I was looking at was a "beautiful use of wood and canves" I wish he had not said that,because I bought it based on that statment,3 days later she was burned to the water line and I was out $1800.00...
I did not know WC did survey's? Lol

(Sorry about the money, karma will make life all even out)
Old 03-01-2013, 05:02   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
If you can get your hands on the November/December (2012) issue of "Good Old Boat" magazine, they published a four page article about Westsail boats...
Here ➥ http://www.goodoldboat.com/promo_pdfs/Nov12_Promo.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:38   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
I did not know WC did survey's? Lol

(Sorry about the money, karma will make life all even out)
Yea that Karma thing is alright,a fellow comissioned me to make him an antique heartpine floor for his new game room a few months back...Four weeks in and several thousand dollars spent he "changed his mind" but made it appear as if it was my fault he did so..A few weeks later his business partner told me he had bought a floor made from "Red Gum"( we call them "gum ball "trees because of those hard balls that they put off..I could not belive it, This is the worse wood in the world for making floors or furniture,it shrinks and twist after about 2 weeks of being indoors under heat cycles,I smile every time I think about this fool and his "Bad Karma"...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:37   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
he owns a W42....
Lojanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:44   #29

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojanica View Post
he owns a W42....

And he has owned several W32's in the past.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 20:03   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post

Great advise here.
Thanks for this, I am listening.
SunSail2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ketch