Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2015, 12:05   #46

Boat: 1979 Pearson 323
Re: Opinions on my "short" list?

I have located promising boats from Annapolis down to FL. Once I narrow it down a bit I'll start searching for surveyors. Our friends uncle is a boat mechanic in MD and she said he would be happy to take a look at some boats for us. Of course we would still get a survey. Tons of boats in the Annapolis area. Only problem is it's going to take additional time/money to get it to the NC area which will be home port. If it's the right boat it would be worth it though.

That Endeavour's on my list to gather more info on...thanks.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:50   #47

Boat: cheoy lee 35 (perry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunknown View Post
I have located promising boats from Annapolis down to FL. Once I narrow it down a bit I'll start searching for surveyors. Our friends uncle is a boat mechanic in MD and she said he would be happy to take a look at some boats for us. Of course we would still get a survey. Tons of boats in the Annapolis area. Only problem is it's going to take additional time/money to get it to the NC area which will be home port. If it's the right boat it would be worth it though.

That Endeavour's on my list to gather more info on...thanks.
The Endeavour is just a modified Irwin. Read this: Sailboats built by Endeavour Yacht Corp. by year on Sailboatdata.com
Old 06-02-2015, 13:48   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Here's another one you might be interested in.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/4857023507.html
The Endeavor is a very nice boat. well built and a good sailor. I do not know how much headroom you would have or the draft. but I've friend's that have traveled for years on one about this model I prefer, the Morgan better myself But it only has 6ft. 2 of head room. Mac
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 14:35   #49

Boat: Scout 30

Here's a crazy cheap price on a nice boat. Organizations that take boat donations can be a good source of a boat at a great price.

Give to the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 14:45   #50

One of the mods on sailnet has pretty negative things to say about Endeavours. Apparently his family owned several of them over the years. You could do a search there to call them up.

Surveyors will usually only comment on what the engine looks like from the outside. But you can get a reasonably priced engine survey from a diesel mechanic that will tell you everything you need to know. Depending on the situation, I might do that before the boat survey.
sardinebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 15:47   #51

Boat: Scout 30

One thing we noted with the last sailboat that we sold. I had a lot of work done to the Yanmar before I listed it including a valve job. The motor ran great but I neglected to paint it so it looked kind rough. We had several people look at the boat but no offers. So I did a couple of cosmetic repairs including painting the engine. We had 3 offers & sold it in the first week. The engine ran the same but it looked a lot better. My point is a good engine might not look good & a bad engine could look great.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 16:14   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
One thing we noted with the last sailboat that we sold. I had a lot of work done to the Yanmar before I listed it including a valve job. The motor ran great but I neglected to paint it so it looked kind rough. We had several people look at the boat but no offers. So I did a couple of cosmetic repairs including painting the engine. We had 3 offers & sold it in the first week. The engine ran the same but it looked a lot better. My point is a good engine might not look good & a bad engine could look great.
Very true. You cant judge a book by it's cover. In the 80's I bought a '55 chevy sedan with 32,000 original miles on it. Bought it from the original owner an 85 year old lady. It still had the clear plastic seatcovers on it. The problem was the engine was terrible. It had only been driven to the grocery store and back. The engine didnt heat up properly... so was filled with sludge on everything.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:19   #53

These tips are invaluable! I need to make sure I don't fall in love with any specific model/brand, look them all over thoroughly with a prepared checklist, invest in a diesel engine survey and regular survey. If we buy smart we should do well!
Old 07-02-2015, 08:25   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Theunknown,

The Tartan.

Irwin does not have the reputation of being well built.

Frankly, the "feeling of spacious" wouldn't impress me much. I'd be more looking at how the boat will work in a seaway, and I look for handholds, a good sea berth, storage, tankage, and so on. Tiny in the head is safer.

What sailorchic34 wrote about sound decks, etc. is right on. She gave you good advice.

Ann
This is good advice...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 20:25   #55

Another thumb for the engine, go with diesel, stay away from Volvo. Beta is excellent, also yanmar but not new ones. Anything 2gm20 or 3gm30 would be good. The newer ones have all computerized modules etc and hard to fix in exotic locations which is what you will be doing...

Basic diesel maintenance is so easy and great way to get I touch with your boat and have a reliable propulsion that could get you out of trouble here and there.

Also wanted to second looking at cals. I have a friend with one and its both good looking and fast, and roomy and well built.

Whoever commented about ericsons hull to deck joint -- not sure this will matter to you but it's probably an issue with some model.... Most of their hull to deck to joints were glassed together joint and also glassed on inside. It's a super strong monocoque construction that simply does not leak. My model is 1973. Well put together. If you're seriously contemplating ericsons look at their owners groups ericsonyachts.org. Several people posting there worked for the factory and could tell you what they did on which model and in which year.
Schrewsburyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 20:52   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Ah the islander 32 mark II has the leaky hull deck joint. Its a fin keel, newer design, faster and lighter built. Myself, I have the older islander 34, which was build with a slightly stretched mold of the old islander 32 MKI.

Yes the older islanders are slow, Generally a 5 knot boat. Though I've had my fully loaded liveaboard boat at 8.5 knots running close hauled with 25 knots and I was dry in the cockpit without a dodger. For a 24' water line it does well. Light winds, well your motoring, But then half the time the winds are on the nose anyway.

What I like about the older design is it's a low freeboard, so easy boarding. It has a lovely shear, backs like a drunken cow., but I've have no issues with it backing.

It's solid glass, so no core issues and groundings are so not a problem. By modern standards the insides are tiny. But I've lived aboard full time on my Islander and I still love my little boat. More then two people aboard would be tough though. Good headroom. Simple systems and rigging so costs tend to be lower.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 20:57   #57

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunknown View Post
These tips are invaluable! I need to make sure I don't fall in love with any specific model/brand, look them all over thoroughly with a prepared checklist, invest in a diesel engine survey and regular survey. If we buy smart we should do well!

Got to throw my two cents in on this one, Only because I believe just the oppisite as you on the subject, I think you should buy the boat you want and forget the money issues. Remember this is your future home. find the layout you, (and your other half) are looking for and then decide which boat has the fits the layout..
When we picked ours, it was a horseshoe gally, dedicated nave station, and a pullman berth.. had to have a large head area and shower.. and only then did we look for the boat that had these..
Another thing to remember,
Its said that if you want good , clean, Oats, you have to pay top dollar, But if you can wait until they come out the other end of the Horse, you can get them a lot cheeper.
So yes, you can say it a buyers market, for crap that is, and always has been..
But if you think you can purchase a well maintained boat in good condition with a motor in great shape. sorry but there is a waiting line for those type of boats and most of the time, they dont even go on the market, as someone is on the inside and way ahead of you on the purchase..
Good luck on your venture, what ever it is................
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 21:46   #58

Schrewsburyduo -I'll try to stay away from the Volvo as they sound expensive to repair. Thanks also for the info on the ericsons. I started looking into ericsons some more today....nice boats.

Sailorchic34 - the older islander 34 looks like a really stout boat. I like simple!!! Thanks for bringing up the freeboard height in terms of dingy/swim access. Hadn't thought about that yet.

Randyonr3 - I wish we could forget the money issues and buy the boat we really want. If that was the case we wouldn't be able to afford to go in December because our price point would rise dramatically. Dirty oats it is for us.

All these tips are really helping me focus on what to keep an eye out for. Thanks!
Old 08-02-2015, 16:35   #59
MLC

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 321 32'
Send a message via AIM to MLC

If you haven't already, I suggest you buy a copy of these two books.
1. The Complete Guide to Choosing a Cruising Sailboat, Marshall
2. Twenty Affordable Sailboats to Take You Anywhere, Nestor

Another great source of unbiased used boat reviews is "Practical Sailor Magazine" which is available on-line or hard copy. Practical Sailor has probably done reviews of all of the boats on your short-list. Like the other people, in my view the Tartan is probably the best boat on your short-list. I think it will be hard to find a good example in your price range.

One boat that is not on your short-list is the Catalina 30. Shoal keel version is under 4' draft and you should be able to find older C30's in your price range with a diesel. I had a C30, mk II 1987 fin keel, standard rig. Bought it in 2000 and sold it in 2007. Great boat, very roomy for its length, lead keel. Paid $29.5K with 400 hours on the diesel. Sold it with around 800 hours on the diesel for $27K. Original parts were in stock at Catalina and inexpensive. Factory customer service was excellent. Boat yards and the C30 Owners Group all gave good support.
Old 08-02-2015, 16:42   #60

Thanks MLC. I've read the 20 Affordable boats but have not seen The Complete Guide to Choosing a Cruising Sailboat. I'll be reading it very shortly though!!! Much appreciated.

Great tip on the Catalina 30 SD. I really like the idea of a boat with a large following! I'll look into it.