Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 14:41   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Yea, meant 98 not 90
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:44   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
My friend has one and has been out in some nasty weather. They where going to the louisiades (spelling?)from Oz, I think it was 2008/9 with a rally. The whole fleet got hammerd with most sustaining damage or failures. They made it back home and the only damage they had was some extra noises from two bulk heads and it took a while to track down and fix. So I would say its a good sea boat. The CC is to small if more than 4 are aboard. the swim platform is difficult to use if there is any swell, so you will need a ladder about mid ships, also when at anchor the aft cabin is noisy with and type of chop or wash. Due to its internal volume there is very little storage, you lose the starboard storage under the saloon seat due to ACs and the same with the v berth. on his version both heads go through a holding tank with no direct overboard. But a comfy boat for two with occasional guests. small tank capacity, diesel and water. very difficult and costly to fit a water maker.
Wanted the breathe new life into this thread as a Passage 42 is on our short list right now.

Some comments regarding these points, and excuse me if I'm just way off base, but for a passage 42 we would do the following things anyway: we like composting heads so if we removed the v-berth head we'd have an intake and output through-hull. Removing the forward AC (that we wouldn't use anyway) would make room for a smallish water maker using the thru-hulls from the forward head. That would solve both those problems (a third of you consider removing an AC a positive as we do).

As far a space, the wife and I have a toddler and a dog and a cat, we think we'd have plenty of space inside. We're also minimalists, so we don't need much storage.

The plan is to liveaboard locally here in the USVI for 2-3 years and then circumnavigate. I think most people agree the passage 42 is a good blue water cruiser.

Any thoughts from anyone?
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:06   #18

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Re: Opinions on Hunter Passage 42

I looked at a lot of these Hunters and almost bought one. I asked the owner of the last one I looked at if it squeaked, he said yes , he had stuffed paper in between the bulkheads were they mount up against the head liner to quiet it. The thing that really bugged me was it squeaked at anchor, so how much is the hull flexing in a seaway . Plus I found all the decks were wet right were the furling lines went through the deck . Plus again .... the aft deck lockers open to the interior. If they leak they drain to the bilge and rot out the interior woodwork .
Try to buy a boat without liners if you are going to sea .

I passed and bought a Bristol.
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:08   #19

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Love our Passage 42! We live half the year on it and the other half in New Orleans. We've found tons of storage, under the floorboards is a whole other boat! We are not minimalists by a long shot. My captain believes he needs every tool know to man plus enormous amounts of spare parts and as he's fixed things in far flung places I'm all for it. On my side I don't set sail without my shoes and jewellery plus everything that rightly belongs in a NOLA Gal's galley.

Now I'm not knocking anyone's lifestyle but if you remove the V berth, where will the toddler go as she grows up while you circumnavigate? Also, while lots do without, AC comes in pretty handy when you drop anchor in some idyllic cove and then the no-seeums join you for sun-downers. All I'm saying is "thinkaboutit".

Many years ago when we were young and lovely we built a house in bayou country. We thought "closets? who needs closets" After all we lived in cutoffs and holey t-shirts, our children often just in shorts or diapers. But time passed and bodies changed and by the time, 30 years later, we moved back to the city it was "Look at these closets!!" You probably won't live on that boat for 30 years but I'm saying again "thinkaboutit".

When all is said and done just have fun with that Passage 42.
S/V WAHOO
nolagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:19   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolagal View Post
Now I'm not knocking anyone's lifestyle but if you remove the V berth, where will the toddler go as she grows up while you circumnavigate? Also, while lots do without, AC comes in pretty handy when you drop anchor in some idyllic cove and then the no-seeums join you for sun-downers. All I'm saying is "thinkaboutit". [/URL]
I didn't mean remove the v-berth, but remove the AC that's in the v-berth. My understanding is that there are two ACs. One on the v-berth and one in the salon. If in mistaken, then I apologize for the confusion.

If there are two ACs, the one in the salon should be enough to remove humidity down below to a comfortable level. I suspect anyway. I'm frequently wrong. Just ask my wife
Old 01-10-2013, 07:20   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
I looked at a lot of these Hunters and almost bought one. I asked the owner of the last one I looked at if it squeaked, he said yes , he had stuffed paper in between the bulkheads were they mount up against the head liner to quiet it. The thing that really bugged me was it squeaked at anchor, so how much is the hull flexing in a seaway . Plus I found all the decks were wet right were the furling lines went through the deck . Plus again .... the aft deck lockers open to the interior. If they leak they drain to the bilge and rot out the interior woodwork . Try to buy a boat without liners if you are going to sea . I passed and bought a Bristol.
That is something I keep running into when I look at passage 42s...squeezing....

Hrm...
Old 01-10-2013, 08:11   #22

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

I owned a legend 290 for many years and seriously considered the 42 passage when we went bigger. I gather, like most Legends, they are a little soft in the water and heel when hit by gusts which I found a touch tiresome. Great accomodation below decks.
In the end we bought a Jeanneau 43 DS and never looked back, except at the boats we were leaving in our wake and I am no racer.
Alenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:41   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
That is something I keep running into when I look at passage 42s...squeezing....

Hrm...
Something you might like to know: not all boats have bulkheads that squeak. Period. Jim and I have had three in various sizes. No squeaks.

I'd worry that they are inadequately attached to the hull and deck. Now, this is something you could remediate beforehand, and your boat will be safer for it. Get the advice of a good boatwright first. And a fiberglass worker's paper suit. And a resin roller. It'll be messy, but do the boat a world of good, and you'll get some new tools!

A woman-thing, I thought I wanted a walk-around bed, for ease of making, and it just seemed cool, you know? In our case, my husband talked me out of it, partly because he, the more experienced sailor, thought the space could be used better, and he really wanted an aft cockpit boat, which both of us prefer in a seaway. Everybody's different you know, so your mileage might differ. To me the way space is divided up in CC boats, feels crowded, and a more open plan, like you find on many Kiwi boats, is more to my taste. It might be educational for you and your good lady to look at a Lidgard 45, for instance. Very competent vessel, IMO.

My two cents'.

Ann
Old 04-10-2013, 05:00   #24
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

I have a Legnend 40.5. This is the slightly smaller hunter built along side of the 42 at the same time. IMO the 40.5 looks a bit nicer with its conventional rear cockpit and I like the tall fractional rig. I have been aboard the 42 and its rear cabin is impressive however it made the saloon feel bit less roomy compared to ours. We met someone with a 42 in Vanuatu and he has sailed many miles, including long pwind ocean passages and he said his boat was rock solid, as ours is also. I think you cant go wrong.

The boats are getting a bit older but they were built strongly. Dont listen to the neighsayers that say all hunters are weak. I know these older ones certainly are not. The worst we had was 50k winds in a depression. We sat below with the autopilot on watching the sopranos.

We don't have any squeaky bulkheads either!
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 14:44   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
I have a Legnend 40.5. This is the slightly smaller hunter built along side of the 42 at the same time. IMO the 40.5 looks a bit nicer with its conventional rear cockpit and I like the tall fractional rig. I have been aboard the 42 and its rear cabin is impressive however it made the saloon feel bit less roomy compared to ours. We met someone with a 42 in Vanuatu and he has sailed many miles, including long pwind ocean passages and he said his boat was rock solid, as ours is also. I think you cant go wrong. The boats are getting a bit older but they were built strongly. Dont listen to the neighsayers that say all hunters are weak. I know these older ones certainly are not. The worst we had was 50k winds in a depression. We sat below with the autopilot on watching the sopranos. We don't have any squeaky bulkheads either!
I think the Passage 42 is now on the top of our short list. Hopefully we'll be checking one out here next week.
Old 16-10-2013, 06:12   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

If I were to make a list of the boats to consider buying for OFFSHORE CRUISING the Hunter brand would be absolute last on this list. The construction quality and engineering is so poor no one would buy them if it were not for the fact that they are about the cheapest thing out there. If you are thinking about putting your life on the line sailing offshore do some research.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 06:48   #27

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
I think the Passage 42 is now on the top of our short list. Hopefully we'll be checking one out here next week.
Before you jump. go look at a Bristol , or an Alden , or even an older Hinckly , for just a little more money or even the same , you would have a boat that you would never doubt at sea. Realy look at the way the boats are built, you want bulkheads that are tabbed to the hull , not sitting in channels in liners that are glued to the hull . As I said , I looked at a lot of these Hunters , I really am glad I didn't buy one .

Please don't get me wrong , Hunters are very good boats for the money and there purpose , I don't want to be a Hunter basher, but if you are going to sea, get a sea boat. Hunters are great for coastal cruising and Island hopping . But out at sea, with a thousand miles to home , I would rather be on a boat truly built for that purpose. Go look at a sea boat , see and feel the differences, you will be astounded.

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 06:49   #28

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
If I were to make a list of the boats to consider buying for OFFSHORE CRUISING the Hunter brand would be absolute last on this list. The construction quality and engineering is so poor no one would buy them if it were not for the fact that they are about the cheapest thing out there. If you are thinking about putting your life on the line sailing offshore do some research.
A bit harsh!

I owned a 290 for nearly eight years never found the build quality to be inferior to the Beneteau, Jeanneau, Bavaria, Dufour or Elan that I also sailed. I also seem to remember being told that all the 42 passages exported to South Africa were sailed there rather than transported on cargo vessels.

Most Hunter owners will admit that on a gusty day things tend to fly around below decks, a trait which (according to some magazine reviews) is still present even on the new 45 DS/CC. This put me off buying a newish 45 and I went for a Jeanneau 43 instead which is far more firm in the water.

If you have not sailed a Hunter then I would insist on a good test sail in windy conditions prior to parting with any money. You might not like the ride! It's all very personal.
Alenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 07:09   #29

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx

Quote:
This is an opinion from someone who has never crossed oceans in a Hunter. It comes from hearsay and lame , folklore from original Hunters when the company was first formed. The facts are, the Hunter is laid with kevlar stingers in the hull to make is stiff. It is a CE certified A-something; suitable for offshore cruising. I have had my Passage in 65mph gale/hurricane force winds and for sure there was a lot of creaking but the Hull was rock solid as was the standing rigging. We were surfing down 30 foot waves at 12-13 knots on a hull designed for 8 knots max. If you have further questions on the Hunter please have the OP pm me.
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 07:10   #30

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

Quote:
Rourkeh: I've heard this for years and have yet to see any evidence to back it up. I will say I am a bit biased because in addition to owning our Leopard we own a hunter and have for over 6 years. This little boat took my wife and I all over the Florida east coast the Keys and Bahamas. We have had the boat in big seas and nasty weather and never once felt worried about her coming apart. This low quality of which you speak is simply not present in our 93 30T. Her hull is solid, her bilge is dry, she doesn't flex, she doesn't leak, she sails extremely well, and the layout is very comfortable. When comparing our 40 Catamaran that cost about 9 times as much I see very little difference in the actual structure of the boats i.e. where and how the bulkheads are tabbed to the hull, or the robustness of the chain plates and rigging or the rudder bearings and steering hardware for that matter. I will say the electrical system is original and functional but WOW, what a mess to try and figure out a fault. I think this is true of most 20 year old boats and certainly was when I was for shopping used boats a few years back. If we keep the hunter one of my long term goals will be to rip out the electrical system in favor of a modern simple buss distribution system that can be found on the newer models.

As for the Passage 42 we loved the boat. Personally I favor the 1989 - 1994 models with the aluminum toe rails and centerline berths. These were on our very short list. I understand the centerline berth isn't really useable while passage making and they don't have full keels and protected props / rudders but honestly does that make them low quality? Where exactly is this low quality of which you speak?
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter