Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2018, 12:55   #31

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Opinions on ex-racing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonywarren777 View Post
We have changed our ex race yacht to a liveaboard. Inglis 39. We lived on her for 3 years but spent the whole time planning the makeover. She was a joy to sail (albeit wet) but uncomfortable to live on. She now is a full on cruiser. With all the trimmings and Sailing is now much dryer and even more enjoyable. It cost over $60k and we did most of the work ourselves. It was worth it. We love the difference. We look forward to doing 200mile days when we cross the Indian Ocean.
Congratulations, you will have fun, quite a few hardships I think, but fun sailing, and that's what it should be all about. For us, we need a little more room and a little more storage.
wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 14:13   #32

Boat: Nonsuch 30

I agree with most of the advice you have gotten here. Converting a race boat can work out nicely for cruising but not in this size/displacement. Something around 40' LOA and twice this displacement makes for a much more comfortable, still fast, boat that could carry the crap you need to carry (even minimalist amounts of crap). Your budget should give you lots of choices.
Old 17-08-2018, 15:22   #33

Boat: Freedom 38

I don't believe anyone mentioned her condition. While not universally true, there is a saying that applies to a number of former racing boats: "bunch of guys, sailed hard, put away wet...". A very detailed survey would probably be important before finalizing purchase.
Sailmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 05:41   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_mariner View Post
Gorgeous boat, I wouldn't hesitate to do a transpac or cruise the coast in that boat. Only thing's I'd do is convert the jib to furling, add slab reefing and lazy jacks on the main. Maybe add lee cloths in the main cabin (if it doesn't already have it), a small pram hood over the companionway and a small radar mounted on a post off the transom. Whatever you do, don't add too much stuff (like monster sized dodgers and huge anchor off the bow). This boat was designed to be light and fast. If you're sailing with a small crew, throw in some reefs to the main, roll up the jib a bit, and sail her flat up wind.

I converted an Express 37 for cruising (80's vintage transpac design), kept things simple, and it was a joy to sail.
Ka ching ka ching ka ching
If you want a cruiser, get a cruiser
If you want a racer get a racer
You never make money (or get your money back) when you sell, you only ever going to make money when you buy it below market value!
MainMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 12:30   #35

I may be biased but I think Hooked is a great example of a race boat with a wonderful cruising conversion. It is actually Wings's sistership.

The PO says he spent 150k on the cruising conversion back in the mid 90s (>$300k in today's dollars, how crazy is that?!).
He stripped her down to the bulkheads, added beautiful teak, separate shower, did major construction and additions especially aft, cutter rig conversion, great cockpit remodel and hard dodger/bimini - the works. Tons of secure storage areas too. She is fast but stable, comfortable and safe/secure feeling (the 3 step companionway ladder as an example).

She went off the market last year, been away a lot and then have been busy having more work done to her (haul out, engine tune up, interior and exterior cosmetic etc). She is about to go back on soon. Here's a bit of a hodgepodge of a walk thru vid (before the past12 months work).

https://youtu.be/P7-NJ5KeMn4
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:04   #36

Boat: Stuart 47

Quick summary:
I have spent the last few years doing up "Toccata" a 1987 Jarkan 39.
I was looking for a 2 handed yacht. %50 ballast ratio. She was built by Kanga to do the Melb/Osaka. She was in fact advertised on this forum.
Spartan interior, flattish bottom, deep draft and seriously fast.
I started down the conversion to a cruiser path, but luckily I was then able to make contact with the designer (John King, designed Aus. 2 with Ben Lexen) he was adamant that if I added a kilo, I had to remove a kilo! In other words she sails well because she is light and agile.
Fundamentally the hull shape is not designed for heavy load carrying. John K subscribes to the greyhound version of voyaging, Keep it light, get there quickly.
The yacht had been raced hard, stood up to it well, but the fundamental design parameters are always there and only very deep pockets can alter those, even then probably still not equivalent to a well designed cruiser.
Just a few thoughts.....
Toccata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:44   #37

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata View Post
if I added a kilo, I had to remove a kilo! In other words she sails well because she is light and agile.
Congratulations on a nice choice. Great boat, and you have taken the right approach, in my opinion.

Our philosophy: "Don't do anything, ANYTHING, that makes it sail slower"
wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, racing