Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 15:22   #16

Boat: none yet
I do like the Endeavour 33 and 35. But I did say under $40,000 and ship shape & ready to cruise.

cheers, Allan
allan C&C less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 15:25   #17

Hey Paul thanks for your insight. so what you are saying is for a 1980 and newer 32' and up boat, I should budget 60K? Hmmm maybe I need to save more cash then eh?

For a coastal cruiser that seems steep. but you probably know more than I!

Thank you, Allan
Old 09-05-2008, 17:05   #18

No offense taken. If it doesn't work for you then free is too expensive. I checked out the Nonsuch 30, I liked it, but then I'm not so picky if it has sails...
Have you looked in to Gulfstar? Or perhaps Hunter, or Ericcson (sp?). Or Mariner? Are you trying to stay 1980 or newer?
Old 09-05-2008, 19:41   #19

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
I'm not sure if $40,000 is a reasonable budget for what I hear that you're looking for.
( a stiff boat that has been upgraded)
$40,000 would get you a 34 Sabre that is 25 years old. I'm guessing that a Tartan would be in the same ball park. You might find some Bristols in that range.
You then might to have to invest in new sails, cushions, electronics. a 25 year old hull might need moisture barrier treatment.

Happy Hunting!
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 14:23   #20

Yes I am looking at a boat 1980 and up for cruising

hi and thanks for the comments folks. Yes i am looking for a stiff boat that is set up for cruising single-handed. 1980 and newer. 32' -37'. not into older gulfstars or other motorsailers. Must have a max. of 5'

Still like the Watkins 33' or Endeavour 35' also hunter 34-37' Cherubunni , sabre 34, tartan 34, C&C 35 landfall, Nonsuch 30,Jeanneau 34 Espace. now if i can fine one that is in great shape, well maintained, no major issues and has been up-graded and costs less than 40k I would be very interested.

Cheers, Allan
Old 02-06-2008, 20:54   #21

allan...it will be tough to ever find a nonsuch 30 for less than 40k...they are expensive boats cause they are QUALITY through and through. even one in rough shape would be better than most of the others out there.
most people just don't know that much about them, they are different, so it kind of scares them a little.
the thing that amazes me is, that with the coming of the aging baby boomers, they are not the most sought after boat in the world today.
with the ease of sailing, respectable performance, incredible accomodations for the size, it's a best kept secret for the older folks.
good luck in your search.
onanonsuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:58   #22

Are your mast wires in a conduit?? George GS37
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:31   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by onanonsuch View Post
allan...it will be tough to ever find a nonsuch 30 for less than 40k...they are expensive boats cause they are QUALITY through and through. even one in rough shape would be better than most of the others out there.
most people just don't know that much about them, they are different, so it kind of scares them a little.
the thing that amazes me is, that with the coming of the aging baby boomers, they are not the most sought after boat in the world today.
with the ease of sailing, respectable performance, incredible accomodations for the size, it's a best kept secret for the older folks.
good luck in your search.
A couple of years ago I seriously considered buying a Nonsuch 30 that was priced very attractively and she was in great shape. What eventually made me pass was that I came to believe the hull shape was inappropriate for offshore sailing.

It's great that the plumb bow and wide bow section adds so much room, but I did not like the idea of being in a situation with big waves and big wind offshore in that boat.

For a coastal cruiser however, it's a great boat and probably well worth the premium they demand.

I think the OP would do well to consider Ericsons and Beneteaus with all the other boats already on the list.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:51   #24

We cruised the Bahamas/Caribbean for 2+ years on an '83 Hunter 34 (16 years old when we bought her) and found her perfectly suitable for our needs - fast, roomy, easy to sail and maintain. Yes, we had hatch and companionway leaks (ports were new), but these are common problems for all boats of this vintage; and they are easily fixed as long as the deck is sound. We never fixed the companionway leak - installed a dodger and it "went away."

Like you we're feeling our age and if we go again, we would probably go for something like the '80s H37 Legend or better yet the H40 - these boats typically sell for 40 - 60K and are more likely to be cruise equipped than an old H34. The Cherubini H37 cutter is a sweet boat, but not roomy enough for our present needs/wants - wife wants that centerline queen size bed.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 17:40   #25

I am not sure I agree with you Slomotion!

At my age (55) I have had a 40' in the past. I prefer to downsize for a variety of reasons such as: my age, I rarely have a crew on board, it's much cheaper to maintain, service and dock a 30-35' boat than a 40 footer! Many people don't realize how much $$$$$ it takes to carry a 37' to 40' boat.
besides since there are only my wife and I that will be sailing her we don't need a large vessel. My wife doesn't demand a queen size center- line berth thank goodness!

As for the comments about the Nonsuch 30'. True they are hard to find for 40k but they do come up from time to time. Also there are a few in the Caribbean and yes they do well even on tuff seas. I wouldn't recommend one with a saildrive though.

Cheers, Allan