Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 18:37   #1

One Keel Vs Two Keels - Westerly Bilge Keel

I bought my Westerly Warwick about 3 months ago. She is a Brit made boat and after owning fin and full keel boats and wanted something different. She is a twin keel boat, and I liked the idea of beaching her, setting level, scrapping the bottom without having to dive to clean her bottom or being able to paint her bottom without having to haul her out.

And not having get battered around at anchor, because she only draws 2'10" I can take her into the mangroves for protection. Last night at anchor we had winds gusting to 45mph and 8-10 seas. She rocked like a baby.. I.felt totally safe.

What I don't like is her speed, it takes 15-25 knots to get her up to 6 knts. The other is follows the current at anchor and will get the rope caught around her keels.
shorebird2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 18:46   #2

Re: One keel verses two keels _ Westerly Bilge Keel

How long is the boat?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 18:54   #3

Re: One keel verses two keels _ Westerly Bilge Keel

This one is 21.5 full standing headroom to the v-berth
Old 13-01-2012, 05:20   #4
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: One Keel Vs Two Keels - Westerly Bilge Keel

A few good threads on Bilge Keelers, like:-

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ing-73787.html

As you are discovering, plusses and minuses to all keels - albeit I suspect the performance side as much to do with the size (smaller) and design (beamy) than simply the Bilge Keels.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 05:30   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: One Keel Vs Two Keels - Westerly Bilge Keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebird2 View Post
I bought my Westerly Warwick about 3 months ago. She is a Brit made boat and after owning fin and full keel boats and wanted something different. She is a twin keel boat, and I liked the idea of beaching her, setting level, scrapping the bottom without having to dive to clean her bottom or being able to paint her bottom without having to haul her out.

And not having get battered around at anchor, because she only draws 2'10" I can take her into the mangroves for protection. Last night at anchor we had winds gusting to 45mph and 8-10 seas. She rocked like a baby.. I.felt totally safe.

What I don't like is her speed, it takes 15-25 knots to get her up to 6 knts. The other is follows the current at anchor and will get the rope caught around her keels.
Any keeled boat will follow the current.. if you put out a stern anchor as well you'll be fine.. or use chain.. that helps a lot..
As for the speed... its not so much the keels.. these boats were heavily built back then... none of your see through hulls.. but then thats what makes them such good sea boats... they're for cruising not racing... different ball game..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 06:10   #6

Yes a lot of chain would help. The trouble here in heavy currents I tried a stern anchor she a bit rougher in the high winds. Other than that I am very impressed with her. And when I am in the mood for some real fun and a brisk sail getting her out in the heavier wind she is so much fun for such a old girl.

I would never have thought she would handle those rough conditions as well as she does.

Never even new about a twin keel till I bought her. And being able to get into areas that most cruiser would have to use there ding to get there it means a lot more of good anchorages open up for me.
Old 13-01-2012, 06:10   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
A few good threads on Bilge Keelers, like:-

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ing-73787.html

As you are discovering, plusses and minuses to all keels - albeit I suspect the performance side as much to do with the size (smaller) and design (beamy) than simply the Bilge Keels.
+1

There will be a performance penalty, more or less depending on how good the design is. But you gain all kinds of capability in shallow and/or tidal waters -- gives you a chance to go in all kinds of places you would just be too afraid to approach in a fin keeler. I like bilge keel boats.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 06:20   #8

Yes I am really like the boat, plus with it being so easy to lower her mast and pop her on a trailer. Not having to pay a diver or me not having to dive to scrape her bottom, or me being able to paint her bottom without a haulout helps the cruising kitty.
Old 13-01-2012, 06:41   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebird2 View Post
What I don't like is her speed, it takes 15-25 knots to get her up to 6 knts.
On a displacement boat, speed is a function of waterline length (LWL). On the Westerly your LWL is 18'8", which gives you a theoretical maximum hull speed of 5.79 knots. (You'll get a touch more when heeled over, since that actually extends the waterline on boats with overhangs.)

Every boat is a compromise. In your boat, performance has been sacrificed in order to gain thin-water abilities and compact size. Your boat undoubtedly makes a lot more leeway than boats with deep keels, which means your ability to go to weather is going to be poor by modern standards. However, you are not allowed to complain about the compromises that have been designed into your boat, lest the boat gods take offense.
Old 13-01-2012, 07:59   #10

No, you are right about compromise, there are so many plusses with this boat. After having so many tris and a few cats going back to a monohaul, has taken some getting use to. This little boat has brought simplicity back into my life.

My buddies with there big cats don't understand. I am just having so much fun on her and my cruising budget really shrank down, cruising on her the cost is so little. When I go in rarely to a marina yhey get pissed that I can pull up to there dingy dock and pay 6.00 for the day and not pay 40 for the day I love it.
Old 13-01-2012, 09:31   #11

If you are doing 6 knots in a 22 ft boat.... I wouldnt worry about it being slow!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 09:44   #12

Your right I love it when that keel digs in another foot.
Old 16-01-2012, 11:41   #13

Boat: Looking for a Trawler

Years ago, I evaluated Westerlys as a possible choice for a boat for cruising on the Fla Gulf coast. But the old law of trade offs came into play. Westerlys were designed for sailing in the English Channel where there is more than enough wind to sail. Accordingly they have very low aspect ratios (short masts) which means (among other things, small sail area). You may be shocked to see how the sail area of your boat compares to other boats of a similar size. It would not have been a good choice for me on the gulf coast. Even though I would have loved the benefits of twin keels in our shallows.
diadema111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 12:03   #14

Boat: Prout Snowgoose Elite

diadema111
Some people might be shocked at the light weight over canvased boats made else where. The westerly is a tough seaman like boat designed to sail in rough conditions without worrying the skipper.
Some modern boats are critisiesed as fragile and delicate, not able to stand up to a strong breeze never mind a gale.
I have had some excelent sailing in an elizabethan 30 during F8 winds. limmited fetch mind etc (PS I am not Hogan)
limejucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 09:11   #15

Limejuicer, you are so right. Realizing now that speed vs solid safe boat I will take the ssb. She is actually a lot.of fun in the higher winds. Been wanting to try her with the loighter main but all the cold fronts here latey been no need. Met a guy from ireland here that has a mcwesterand he just loves it.

Tags
bilge, keel