Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 04:16   #61

Boat: 2012 Jeanneau SO 44DS
Re: One Head or Two?

Tego - didn't get the 41, now looking at a 44 2cab/2head but thanks.

As for the 44DS, I really don't know my way around boats and maintainance so I can't say that I would feel any difference in person. I do know that I trust my surveyor and broker as my broker is working with the seller's broker (not the same entity) and I went into the survery knowing to walk away if it was a bad deal. I'd rather lose $1200 than $280,000!

That being said, I'm going to await the final report and see how the seller responds to the list of problems. The surveyor said all in all everything was minor and his main concern is the generator. If they came down on the price to cover the damage and a new gen it might be a go.
Fulmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:55   #62

Boat: Sailing Club and Charter Boats

The problems with wood after only two years, the problems with the windows, and the leaks would scare me. How much water intrusion? Is there mold? Could there be a systemic problem with the big DS windows losing their seal to the frame due to flex? That could be a design or build issue that a window repair won't fix.

It sounds like your surveyor is on the ball. It also sounds like you are smart to make no decisions until you have the full report.

This is a very educational experience!

As for the heads in the DS models, they do not soak the whole room when you shower. A curtain or, on some models, a plexiglass partition (our 2cabin 1 head DS39 charter boat had the curtain) folds out from the wall to create a shower space. You do not need to stand over the head. It also has a separate shower nozzle. We thought it was clever, though it was necessary to squeegee the floor after showering.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BWB75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:22   #63

The leak is due to a cracked hatch glass that is on order and is in the process of being repaired. They believe that is where the leak came from but won't know 100% until it's fixed and he can recheck. Apparently someone tried to slam the thing shut with a line in the way and they cracked the glass. It seems like a new problem as there is no mold or mildew and no odor. The surveyor and broker feel it's the truth and recent as there is sign that it's been sitting like that (ie mold or mildew or odor). Just trying to be patient and wait and see. Again, most things are minor and may reduce the price even though they are simple fixes such as tightening nuts and putting in the codpin so they don't loosen, etc...
Old 12-07-2014, 21:05   #64

Another update. Spoke with the my broker. He figured out the problem with the gen and it's fixed works great as it should with only 27 hours on it. The hatch is being repaired Monday, and we renegotiated the price to cover repairing all the minor stuff. In the end they were asking $295k and i got it for $274k. We shoot for closing on this Wednesday and the boat will then be repaired by my guys (re finish teak, clean boat, clean stains, polish, fix windex and recalibrate compasses, no mold or mildew anywhere) then he has a captain and crew that will sail it here and I should have it by the 25th if all goes as planned. Total repairs should be under $4000 to make the boat look showroom new. Best news yet is that in Louisiana when you buy a used boat for personal/pleasure use you don't pay tax on the boat, only if you buy it new!!! That saves me another $24,660!!!
Old 12-07-2014, 21:47   #65

Wow! This is super news! The 25th is just around the corner!

Old 12-07-2014, 21:48   #66

Did the newest crew member arrive safely?

Old 13-07-2014, 04:33   #67

BWB75,

It is around the corner and now reality is setting in!! Nervous and excited at the same time as the new crew member isn't here yet. She's due in about 3 weeks... right around when the boat arrives between the last week of July and the first week of August. I hope I'm not taking on too much at once.
Old 13-07-2014, 06:17   #68

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

congrats!

regarding the number of heads, I think two is a good choice. Anyone that says one is fine likely hasn't had the misfortune of being inflicted with the Noro virus or something similar. My wife and I both had it (on land) and we're very glad our house had two bathrooms. One might have been a problem

our 43 is the charter version and had 3 heads. We'll convert one to something else probably as 3 is more than we need, but two is just right and what our minimum would be.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 12:29   #69

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulmitz View Post
BWB75,

It is around the corner and now reality is setting in!! Nervous and excited at the same time as the new crew member isn't here yet. She's due in about 3 weeks... right around when the boat arrives between the last week of July and the first week of August. I hope I'm not taking on too much at once.
Wow, your doomed, in a good way.
Having a child is like dropping a nuclear bomb on your life, nothing will be the same from that point onward. Schedule? Hah! Out the window with that. Then again, it depends on what your working situation is and what your other outside schedule dependent commitments are.
Boat and newborn? Oiy, either one is enough to fill a normal schedule.
I have a 27 year old daughter with my first wife, she's just getting independent enough not to need my help with her house, at least she comes and helps me wax the hull every year and do some maintenance.
I have 3 and 5 year old boys the second time around, I spend as much time fixing what they break as I do making improvements. Just in the last week I found the pins that hold the liferaft pulled and tossed overboard, the cable for the backstay antenna on the SSB pulled out and a number of other pieces dismantled by the 3 year old, that was before he untied the dinghy and let it go.....
It's all amusing after the fact, better have a high tolerance level, either will definitely test that.The 3 year old is mechanically inclined, just not to the reassembly stage yet. Then again there was the time he took permanent marker to the interior woodwork, still fixing that.
Good luck, I hope both the birth and the boat go smoothly, both can cause a bit of stress.
Hope all works out well.
You may want to buy an extra case of wine for the wife, I know in my case the question "more wine dear?" is a life saver for all involved.
Good Luck and congratulations in advance.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 06:43   #70

Thanks,

The deal is done! I'm the proud owner of a 2012 Jeanneau 44DS!!! Some minor repairs are being performed such as replacing the hatch (which they recieved yesterday) and resetting the compasses, the boat will then be sailed over to New Orleans from St. Pete. Here is a link to the boat with pics!

2012 Jeanneau 44DS Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 20-07-2014, 02:24   #71

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Sweet! Congrats! We've just spent 7 weeks on our older 43DS with the same layout--love it.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 05:03   #72

Prairie Chicken,

Thanks! I can't wait! Once familiar with the boat and I get comfortable sailing her solo (my wife wants passenger status only) I'd like to venture along the gulf coast starting with Mobile, then maybe Pensacola, St. Pete and eventually the Keys. Later on maybe to Mexico and finally eastern Caribbean.
Old 20-07-2014, 07:21   #73

Wow! What a beauty! Congratulations!

Old 20-07-2014, 08:15   #74

BWB75,

Thanks! Can't wait to get her out on the water and start sailing!!!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 21-07-2014, 06:22   #75

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Congratulations, hope it's everything you were looking for. How goes with the other "delivery"?
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head