Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2018, 12:08   #1

Onboard wifi away from shore?

Ok, so I do know to get internet I need a Satelitte/Hotspot or marina connection. However, my Raymarine plotter es97 says it can use my iPad as repeter via the WIFI network (Bluetooth is not an option). So the question is: Can i plug in my Apple Airport Express (to my inverter) that is already programed with a username and then connect my plotter and iPad to it and have communication between the two? Or any other suggestions other than the satcom..... that will come later...maybe.

Cheers and TIA

Chris
Chris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 09:44   #2

Re: Onboard wifi away from shore?

I'm not sure if Raymarine offers this, but usually when a chart plotter says an iPad can be used as a repeater, the iPad can be connected directly to the chart plotter via the chartplotter's own WiFi network. For instance, on a Garmin 741, when you activate WiFi on the chart plotter, it shows up on the iPad as a network to join. From here, you use the Garmin "Helm" app to repeat and control the chart plotter.

A quick search on the Apple App Store shows that Raymarine has a similar app called "RayControl". That might be what you're looking for.
Jebrown215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 10:43   #3

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Onboard wifi away from shore?

Yes, new plotters can act as client and AP - in AP mode for direct connect to phone/tablet. You don’t need another router/AP for that connection.
JKMilligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wifi