Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2012, 16:17   #1

Boat: Bayfield 29C
On the Same Theme As ricktara

I'm starting to develop a list of monohull cruisers from which to pick my future home, to be purchased in the next year. I hope to be relocated to eastern NC by then and have my ducks in a row to buy a boat and do some extensive cruising—mostly singlehanded, I expect. I'm after a boat that can eventually take me across oceans; monohull, sloop/cutter rigged.

My question: Is there a good book like Steve Henkel's "The Sailor's Book of.... Sailboats" that gives diagrams, stats and pros-cons of sailboats in the 27'-33' range? Sherwood's "Field Guide to Sailboats" is good and has been helpful.

From those two books I have drawn up a list of makes, including Bristol, Niagara, Island Packet, Cape Dory. I find these on the online boat classifieds; others are more scarce: Clark 31, Alajuela, for example. Others I haven't done searches on yet: Pacific Seacraft, Eastward Ho, Eastsail. Hans Christian is just too pricey for me!

Anyway, there are many, many others I'll never know about without a guide showing designs, std equip, reviews. An online version would be fine. Recommendations? Henkel claimed in his <26' book that he would start on one for larger boats; no trace of it yet.

thanks, -rick(austin)
austinrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 16:33   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinrick
I'm starting to develop a list of monohull cruisers from which to pick my future home, to be purchased in the next year. I hope to be relocated to eastern NC by then and have my ducks in a row to buy a boat and do some extensive cruising—mostly singlehanded, I expect. I'm after a boat that can eventually take me across oceans; monohull, sloop/cutter rigged.

My question: Is there a good book like Steve Henkel's "The Sailor's Book of.... Sailboats" that gives diagrams, stats and pros-cons of sailboats in the 27'-33' range? Sherwood's "Field Guide to Sailboats" is good and has been helpful.

From those two books I have drawn up a list of makes, including Bristol, Niagara, Island Packet, Cape Dory. I find these on the online boat classifieds; others are more scarce: Clark 31, Alajuela, for example. Others I haven't done searches on yet: Pacific Seacraft, Eastward Ho, Eastsail. Hans Christian is just too pricey for me!

Anyway, there are many, many others I'll never know about without a guide showing designs, std equip, reviews. An online version would be fine. Recommendations? Henkel claimed in his <26' book that he would start on one for larger boats; no trace of it yet.

thanks, -rick(austin)
I would move the Pacific Seacraft to your primary list. Tayana?

Get tiller steering.

Try to minimize varnished wood and wood in general. (except interior of course)

Look at steel too. Steel multi-chine built in Holland or Germany is often not so good looking but it's strong

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 16:39   #3

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Re: On the Same Theme As ricktara

I'd look at Greg Nestor's book: 20 affordable sailboats to take you anywhere.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 17:35   #4

Boat: Bayfield 29C

I've seen Nestor's book on Amzn and meant order it; local library does not have it as it did those other two. Thanks for the reminder.

I also meant to point out that I'm shopping a used boat in case that wasn't apparent—maybe well used. Someone's comment on another thread was timely: Don't write off the old fiberglass boats from the 60's-70's. Well made, well tested, fully rigged.

And thanks for the comments about steel hull; I would consider one.

I'm also interested in the I/B power on these boats. Don't want something that I can't get parts for, or is impossible to work on. For that I would rely partly on the experienced members of this forum. For example, I assumed Volvo parts are widely available, but saw someone's comment yesterday that that is not the case. What's a good bet for small diesel?, Westerbeke still?, Yanmar?, what? Never heard of Pisces, but evidently Alajuela used them! Does Isuzu make propulsion power?

Any and all comments, suggestions appreciated.
austinrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 18:03   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

I'm not a singlehander, but sail with one inexperienced crew. A few thoughts:-
* My biggest problem is docking. For a singlehander, even with a small boat, a bow thruster would be heaven.
* Repowering was a 3 month job for me. However compared with an old unreliable diesel it was worth every minute.
* I'd strongly recommend cleaning out every part of the fuel system, installing an auxiliary electric fuel pump and replacing any part that is in any way suspect.
* Parts of older diesels can be unobtainable. Rebuilding an older diesel may cost near as much as a brand new engine. If you include the cost of trying to fix an unfixable engine it may cost more to rebuild. Remember that cruisers use their engines a lot.
* Classic boats are great on the harbour, but a much newer modern boat (I'm thinking 5 year old Beneteau or similar) may cost the same when refurbishment/repairs/rebuilding/fixing is included, and should be much easier to sail.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote