Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2014, 11:04   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 7
olympic yacht/ted brewer

hi there
looking at a Olympic 40 feet build in greece .designed by ted brewer
its a long keel ketch centercockpit that looks pretty solid--
anyone knows goods or bads on these boats or the designer
any help would be apreciated
greetings from Cold denmark
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 11:08   #2
Registered User
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 23,476
Re: olympic yacht/ted brewer

Brewer is a great, albeit "old school", designer, but I know nothing about that particular boat.
Here are Brewers boats. No Olympic 40 noted but a 42 is noted as being built in Greece.
"yard went under.. no royalties paid"
http://sailboatdata.com/view_designe...designer_id=78
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 11:50   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 7
Re: olympic yacht/ted brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Brewer is a great, albeit "old school", designer, but I know nothing about that particular boat.
Here are Brewers boats. No Olympic 40 noted but a 42 is noted as being built in Greece.
"yard went under.. no royalties paid"
Sailboat designs of Edward S.¬*Brewer by year
i write to ted personally and ask if he knows the the boat
hope he answers
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 15:30   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Between Caribbean and Canada
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 6,806
Re: olympic yacht/ted brewer

I've talked to Ted. Used him to help us buy our next boat. Very approachable.

He is not afraid to tell the truth, even on his own boats.

First class guy.

Ted Brewer Yacht Design
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 03:57   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 7
Re: olympic yacht/ted brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I've talked to Ted. Used him to help us buy our next boat. Very approachable.

He is not afraid to tell the truth, even on his own boats.

First class guy.

Ted Brewer Yacht Design
heres what he commented :

Jesper

I designed a 47, 42 and 38 for Olympic but not a 40. I wonder if this could be a 38 that the broker is calling a 40? The boat in the photo does not look like my design but the angle of the photo makes it difficult to check. If it was built by Olympic Yachts in Lavrion it should have the 4 circle symbol of the Olympic games at the bow ahead of the cove stripe.

And if it was built by Olympic Yachts in Lavrion then I doubt it is fibreglass cored. The construction they preferred was a solid GRP hull stiffened by hat shaped longitudinal stringers running fore and aft, an exceptionally good system that enabled their yachts to obtain Lloyds approval.

Good luck with it. I do wish I could see some better photos. I'll forward this to my former partner, Bob Wallstrom, for his comments.

Fair Winds
Ted Brewer
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 03:58   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 7
Re: olympic yacht/ted brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
heres what he commented :

Jesper

I designed a 47, 42 and 38 for Olympic but not a 40. I wonder if this could be a 38 that the broker is calling a 40? The boat in the photo does not look like my design but the angle of the photo makes it difficult to check. If it was built by Olympic Yachts in Lavrion it should have the 4 circle symbol of the Olympic games at the bow ahead of the cove stripe.

And if it was built by Olympic Yachts in Lavrion then I doubt it is fibreglass cored. The construction they preferred was a solid GRP hull stiffened by hat shaped longitudinal stringers running fore and aft, an exceptionally good system that enabled their yachts to obtain Lloyds approval.

Good luck with it. I do wish I could see some better photos. I'll forward this to my former partner, Bob Wallstrom, for his comments.

Fair Winds
Ted Brewer
answered within 5 min .total nice
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 06:51   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
GordMay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 40,486
Images: 241
Re: olympic yacht/ted brewer

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, motorhead.
I believe it may actually be called an ďOlympic Adventure 42".
OLYMPIC ADVENTURE 42 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 07:50   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: At the intersection of here & there
Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Posts: 3,867
Re: olympic yacht/ted brewer

Can't speak to whatever they're calling a 40, but I have the 47. It's very solidly built, but it is cored above the waterline. Sails beautifully, and very sea-kindly. As with any boat of that vintage you should check the usual problem areas. Does it have teak decks? If you can access them, have a good look where the chainplates are attached. Get a good surveyor that knows his/her stuff.

AFAIK the yard is still in business, though they've gone away from production work: Olympic Marine S.A

Olympic Canada made a 40 footer - http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=4760
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
yacht

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ted Brewer & The Duchess of Devonshire svHannabel Atlantic & the Caribbean 2 09-03-2014 20:07
Question of the Month with Ted Brewer svHannabel The Library 9 16-10-2012 07:26
Ted Brewer 38 and Gulfstar 37 - Luperon Bay, Dominican Republic Lttl Monohull Sailboats 8 13-11-2011 12:35
Ted Brewer 47 ft aluminum " Grey Goose " rgm.nz Monohull Sailboats 10 27-09-2008 10:13
Good Artical By Ted Brewer StoutWench Monohull Sailboats 1 16-12-2006 12:31

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:15.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.