Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2008, 08:16   #1

Question offshore boat leads

Okay before this gets all up in the air about my boat is the best, I am asking for a list of good offshore boats to concider and to start researching...

please help me by listing boat makes, advantages, disadvantages ect.

our range is 34-41 ft. monohull, ocean passage, $30,000-80,000. and we have budgeted $50,000 for refitting and passage making needs, safty, elec., stays, plumbing, sails, ect.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
azjayhawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:46   #2

Boat: Van de Stadt 34'
Hi there, we could do with a little more detail, intended cruising range, duration, crew size etc. .
Have you considered or eliminated certain rig types, keel types, construction materials? With the info given above and the "offshore" (covers a lot) requirement, I would research full keelers like the Rustler 36, Tradewind 35, Lord Nelson, Hans Christian. Other good U.S. pedigrees are Passport (Annapolis), Valiant (Texas), or Hylas (?). Why the fit-out reserve unless you want to know and trust every inch of the boat and take the time (and possible cash over-runs) to do it. I imagine you could pick up a boat at 110-115% of your total budget (when cash discount and persuasion has been applied) that would need very little to be cast-off-ready. Once you settle on a brand and size, there's lots of help here! Many other good threads on this subject here too - look up one posted by annegibsonwaco. Best wishes and Fair Winds!!
Old 08-02-2008, 09:07   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
Here is a list from Mahina Expeditions. It is a good list but does not go by price. I used 7 this to help me when I was researching the boat that I wanted to buy.

Mahina Expedition - Offshore Cruising Instruction

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 18:53   #4

Thanks guys for the starter list. i assumed that by stating ocean passage, eveybody would understand that we want more than a day sailer, or a weeked cruiser. our crew is just me, my husband and that darn cat... although we plan to refit for single handling in case the worst happens.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
Old 08-02-2008, 18:56   #5

plus you never know... that darn cat just may be the best sailor out of us three, at least she can catch her own dinner...

Old 08-02-2008, 20:29   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
AZjayhawker, Welcome aboard!

If you go up to the SEARCH button and put in a key word like 'offshore' or others you will come up with a wealth of info. And start with the oldest first.

Your budget seems reasonable but with a 50K refit budget why not just invest in a better boat saving labor & keeping out about 10K for must needed stuff.

Good luck on the search!
..........................................._/)
Old 08-02-2008, 20:56   #7

Boat: Sceptre 41
I know of an Amel 41 Ketch that is for sail at around $95k. If it isn't listed yet you may be able to get her cheaper. I can vouch for the boat being in pretty good condition. I met the guy while shopping for some boat equipment. If you are interested let me know and I will send you the guys email address and other info. Here is a link to the type of boat 1981 Amel Sharki Boat For Sale The one I know has a problem with the type of paint that was used to paint the deck and the possibly the topsides being non compatible with the existing.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:46   #8

Carn't help ya but,I would like to know what makes ya think the cat can catch her/his own dinner.LOL.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:08   #9

Tink the cat has watched animal planet and saw a show about flying fish, and she realllllly loves the challenge of hunting birds...LOL

As far as the boat is concerned, we have about 1 year till purchase. pounding those miles and keeping faith in the economy... so now is a good time to research..
we own a 28ft. balboa swing keel that we putter around in lake mead az. all it does is make us lust the sea..