Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2017, 20:00   #31

Re: Off Topic. Many months (if not a year or more) to get a boat. In the interim?

I agree with SV Bacchus. My dad is a strict "no borrowing except for real estate" guy. But after his time in Thailand serving in the Air Force, he came home to 15% + interest rates. Go ahead and run an amortization schedule on a 15% loan! I'd feel the same way. He had 3 old cars in the driveway. One was always broke down, so he had redundancy to get to work. He spent weekends tooling with them. I learned to work on cars (thank you, dad) and learned I really hated spending my weekends working on them. Needless to say we have different lifestyles. I bought an older boat and I've spend several weekends working on it. If I knew what boat I wanted for the next 10-20 years, I'd buy new or as close to new as possible. I know when it's time to sell, it will still have value.
mbhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 20:07   #32

Boat: Hunter 340 34'
Re: Off Topic. Many months (if not a year or more) to get a boat. In the interim?

That's the thing... you can get a mortgage on a house, so if you can get a mortgage on a boat (that you plan on living on full time), what's the difference? I have no intention on maintaining a plot of dirt that costs more to maintain, is taxed to death, and can't move? People are crazy nowadays... I gotta get away from these nutjobs! (begins humming 'Anchors Aweigh')...
Old 17-05-2017, 20:11   #33

Off Topic. Many months (if not a year or more) to get a boat. In the interim?

Sorry, double-posted. Deleted.
Old 17-05-2017, 20:23   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by fSymo View Post
That's the thing... you can get a mortgage on a house, so if you can get a mortgage on a boat (that you plan on living on full time), what's the difference? I have no intention on maintaining a plot of dirt that costs more to maintain, is taxed to death, and can't move? People are crazy nowadays... I gotta get away from these nutjobs! (begins humming 'Anchors Aweigh')...

My RE taxes are over 3%! But we don't have state income tax. My RE taxes are nearly half of my monthly home payment. If my home appreciates 3%, I break even. Factoring the mortgage, I'm losing 3.5%.

I could buy a $300k boat, pay my live-aboard slip fee and probably pay half of what I do now. But the Admiral ain't going for it, LOL. Baby steps...
Old 01-06-2017, 20:00   #35

Update! Things moved quickly this past month. I will be moving, but there's a bright side... A Hunter 340...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hunter_340_Soon.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	411.3 KB
ID:	148959  
Old 27-08-2017, 20:41   #36

Welp... as you may see from my updated profile, it's done. See y'all on the high seas!
Old 27-08-2017, 23:19   #37

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

Congrats!

I am still getting used to those backswept spreaders, but I am a traditionalist, so my Hunter 27 has the side spreaders (and the mast is shorter of course, so only a single pair). Looks like a sharp vessel you have there, and if you figure out how to get the bike on there without it rusting away, let me know, because maybe I can make an exception and put a large forehatch on my veeberth too for mine!! HA HA HA!! The Admiral would be severely... concerned... if I did that though..
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 16:15   #38

Ha! As I was mulling over space and electrical concerns today, I was contemplating that very idea. I'll need a bigger boat for that! The bike will be stabled here in NJ with a friend so I have at least one vehicle left when I come back to visit
Old 04-09-2017, 06:03   #39
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat

Quote:
(how again do you park in a marina without insurance that requires it?).
Marinas only want Liability Only coverage for damages that you might cause with your vessel to their property or to other slipholders. Liability only coverage is quite inexpensive, especially in your neck of the woods.

Congrats on the Hunter!

Tags
boat