Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 14:32   #16

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'
Re: off shore pilot house

To add to Minaret's comments, I would also rate the below the water line hull shape as nearly a semi-displacement type. Better have really big fuel tanks (as Atoll suggested).

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hull.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	69706  
Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 14:38   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
Well said Atoll.

Roger, generally you hear "they dont do well because of the large windows".

Note: the windows are often smaller than those on a USCG 25 foot defender. Just that boat doesn't have a mast so the windows are ok there. Don't let reason get in the way of enjoying your new pilothouse. LOL Your skin, your guests and even your visitors in some remote harbor will all thank you.
good point. I've been into powerboats for over 40 years and trawlers have big windows without problems so why should it be any different for a sailboat? Both types travel the worlds oceans and both types are pitchpoled rolled over. I don't get it
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:27   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Yes! With no motor at all, I would happily sail my Nauticat across any ocean. There are several different flavors of Nauticat, some were designed in Finland for cruising the Baltic (traditional motorsailors). Others were designed by Sparkman & Stephens for cruising the world. Very different boats, the S&S designs sail quite well. One recently did the Northwest Passage. All have pilothouses.
Would you sail the older raised aft deck Nauticat 33 across any ocean and would you trust the hull strength to be strong enough not to be holed by a container?
U W Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:55   #19

Boat: Norseman 447

We sailed our Nauticat 44 on a three year navigation of the Tasman Sea, crossed from Launceston Tasmania to Nelson NZ in 8.5 days two handed and my wifes first offshore passage arrived well rested with a dry boat, the two non pilothouse yachts that arrived a week later a bit beat up and soggy just confirmed our boat choice, I was always surprised by how well our nauticat sailed and even though we carried blanking boards for windows never had to use them, yes we had lots of fuel and a big motor just gives one more choices, Older model NC33 would be more than strong enough to cross oceans.
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 13:02   #20
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by U W Frog View Post
Would you sail the older raised aft deck Nauticat 33 across any ocean and would you trust the hull strength to be strong enough not to be holed by a container?

I wouldn't trust any hull strength for a container strike, that's an unrealistic strength parameter. The 33 is definitely not a "blue water" boat, but that hasn't prevented people from crossing oceans in them anyway. I personally would not, but that doesn't mean anything.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 17:21   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by U W Frog View Post
no small boat could withstand a direct hit by the corner of a container. Those things would be like battering rams. If you were ahull or heaved to maybe but not under sail.
Old 02-11-2013, 18:11   #22

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler

We took our Nauticat 42 across the North Atlantic. They sail well and are solidly built.
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:37   #23
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
no small boat could withstand a direct hit by the corner of a container. Those things would be like battering rams. If you were ahull or heaved to maybe but not under sail.
I think a small boat may fare better than a large one since the small boat might be likely to slow enough on impact to stop significant damage. I guess very large steel boats may be stronger than a container and might be able to smash the container out of the way.

That Mariner 50 looks like a lot of boat for the money and looks to be in decent condition. However I agree that it may not be the best choice for bluewater cruising since it would sail like crap and use a heap of fuel. The stability also is highly suspect and I expect it would be a long way off being able to meet the criteria for an "A" offshore rating. Would make a good coastal boat if you liked to stay in one place more than you liked to move around.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:58   #24

Boat: a sailing boat

I love pilot housed boats. I do not like sitting in the rain.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 14:27   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
I think a small boat may fare better than a large one since the small boat might be likely to slow enough on impact to stop significant damage. I guess very large steel boats may be stronger than a container and might be able to smash the container out of the way.

That Mariner 50 looks like a lot of boat for the money and looks to be in decent condition. However I agree that it may not be the best choice for bluewater cruising since it would sail like crap and use a heap of fuel. The stability also is highly suspect and I expect it would be a long way off being able to meet the criteria for an "A" offshore rating. Would make a good coastal boat if you liked to stay in one place more than you liked to move around.
that boat is fitted to be a liveaboard not a bluewater sailor.
You maybe wrong about the small boat being damaged more than a larger boat, assuming they are both properly built. Basic physics my friend, more weight means a larger impact force . The small boat will be deflected easier than the larger one up to a point. We are taking here about cruiseing yatch and most are between 26 and 50 feet. Even a fifty foot boat is no match for a loaded container unless it was built to military specs.
Example: Three weeks ago I was in my Wooldridge Alaskan on the Consumnes river in Ca. exploring the upper reaches of the river way beyond were any boats except kyaks go had had an incident. I managed to get all the way upstream to were there was no more water and the river ended then I turned around and headed back to the bay. I soon got bored so gave her a bit of gas hitting about 18kts on plane. Was great fun flying down that narrow wetlands river and then wummp!!! ..hit a submerged log which felt like hitting a curb at thirty mph in a car. Damage, nothing not even a mark. I was not using the jet I had a prop and there was not a mark anywhere. If I would have been in a heavier boat there would have definitely been some damage. Watch the video of the Alaskan and you will appreciate her abilities with skinny water. Alaskan | Wooldridge Boats This little boat is very dry and I have even taken her over bars on the coast of Oregon to fish for salmon.
Old 05-11-2013, 15:46   #26
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

I think you need to read my post again. I was trying to say that a smaller cruising boat will be deflected easier, and only very large steel boats such as ships may be strong enough to smash a container up.

My friends hit a coral head at 7K in their Santana 35 at Tahanea which resulted in their boat coming to an instant stop with no apparent damage. The boat was light and strong enough to be able to slow down fast enough to prevent damage. Now if the boat was of the same glass construction and was 30 ton they may have not fared so well.

Just my opinion, not a point I am willing to prove with my boat.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 16:25   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
I think you need to read my post again. I was trying to say that a smaller cruising boat will be deflected easier, and only very large steel boats such as ships may be strong enough to smash a container up.

My friends hit a coral head at 7K in their Santana 35 at Tahanea which resulted in their boat coming to an instant stop with no apparent damage. The boat was light and strong enough to be able to slow down fast enough to prevent damage. Now if the boat was of the same glass construction and was 30 ton they may have not fared so well.

Just my opinion, not a point I am willing to prove with my boat.
yes, that's what I was saying. Maybe I misunderstood your original post.
Old 05-11-2013, 21:30   #28

Boat: CL52
1 pilothouse sailboats can sail very well off shore depending on their design.
2 That mariner 50 you are looking probably is not a great sailing boat, but from the looks of the hull, it might do well off shore if you are not afraid to use the motor and shorten sail when the weather gets nasty. I bet it gets pretty good mileage when motoring or motor sailing.
3 if you are looking for a sailboat, that is not the boat. It would probably do pretty well for extensive coastal cruising. I know there is a 40 ft. Hinckley pilotbouse for sale in seattle for a bit more money if you want a true bluewater pilothouse sailboat. If you want a big fat cruising motorsailer to cruise the west coast, you have found your boat.
Good luck!
Captain Bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 18:13   #29

Boat: Olson 40

IMPO: pilothouses are great. Big is better, if you can afford it. Remember that cost of ownership is a function of weight and stability, and number and complexity of systems. That boat has a lot of all, so it will be a very expensive boat to own. The cost to buy is the cheapest part.
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote