Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2016, 05:38   #121
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Oceanis 485 steering failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Isn't this almost a carbon copy of the report from Blue Pearl? As I recall, their plywood box top was flopping around and they had water coming in via the rudder tube.

Even if they had a working electric bilge pump it could not keep up with that.
Thanks Dan!

I totally forgot about this... You sated my floppy box video appetite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
What a POS!
I don't know if it even rates that title...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:45   #122

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post

That is just about the crappiest deign I have ever seen... All of the upper bearing forces are transferred to that shitty plywood box... Completely restricting access to the bottom bearing and seal...

I would LOVE to have seen a video of the AP thrashing that box to smithereens...
Hard to say. For sure it is bad in what regards accessibility to an water ingress but regarding the system you would have to see more. The Rudder is probably maintained in place by a upper bearing (on deck) and on the bottom probably there is an auto alignment big ball that works inside an aluminum casing, at least is that way Jeffa systems works and this days almost all are Jeffa or copies.

If like that the forces on that box would not be big...except if induced by a malfunction of the rudder autopilot regarding continuing to make force after having hit all the course (without a piece that stops the course). In that case probably it can be a breakage but in that case, not a problem with the box but with not having a stopper on the autopilot (or having it removed or out of place).

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:45   #123
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Oceanis 485 steering failure

For those of you who may not know this dodge.. shut off engine water intake and remove the hose and add this to your pump armoury in an emergency..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:42   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Hard to say. For sure it is bad in what regards accessibility to an water ingress but regarding the system you would have to see more. The Rudder is probably maintained in place by a upper bearing (on deck) and on the bottom probably there is an auto alignment big ball that works inside an aluminum casing, at least is that way Jeffa systems works and this days almost all are Jeffa or copies.

If like that the forces on that box would not be big...except if induced by a malfunction of the rudder autopilot regarding continuing to make force after having hit all the course (without a piece that stops the course). In that case probably it can be a breakage but in that case, not a problem with the box but with not having a stopper on the autopilot (or having it removed or out of place).

I'm only going by the pic of the system here... stating that the upper bearing is in the box, and the hole in the deck seen is simply an access hole for the e-tiller... In that case.... It's a total crap design... If the upper bearing carrier labeled in the pic is actually a "mid-carrier" ... then the design is a bazillion time better...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:24   #125

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:

Sorry guys, looking at it better, no upper bearing and you are right, lots of efforts on that box. Not very well designed I would say and it amazes me since Beneteau should have a lot of experience building rudders. Maybe I am not seeing the all picture
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:25   #126

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:

No, no deck top bearing , and no, no auto alignment bearing anywhere, the top bearing is a white plastic piece glued to the ply with plexus , as I say 3 or 4 pages ago, Benetau admit the problem and call to the dealers for a Oceanis recall to install this steel bracket .. obviously this plate only solve one issue , the top bearing problem, but what about with the ply structure?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	redothecollar.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	118439   Click image for larger version

Name:	rudderfailure.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	118441  

Attached Images

neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:34   #127

Quote:
That is just about the crappiest deign I have ever seen... All of the upper bearing forces are transferred to that shitty plywood box... Completely restricting access to the bottom bearing and seal...
In a German Forum at Mittelmeer-Skipper-Forum :: Login (not sure if you can access the forum without registering) Oliver, a German sailor describes he had the same problem on his Oceanis 48 in October last year and just barely made it back to port (and on the hard).

Oliver says (rough translating by me into English): "problem on his boat is/was the upper strut / connection point. It sits only on the wooden box. The box is just glued, screwed ... No direct connection of this 'plate' with the upper rudder bearing to the boat structure. If you take into account the lever of the 2m long rudder clearly a construction fault in my point of view. Beneteau agreed to have a yard in Greece to laminate 'the box' to the boat structure but it does not look like a design of a Cat A boat to me.

Oliver"

Regards,

Carsten
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	01_P1060452.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	118443   Click image for larger version

Name:	01_P1060448.JPG
Views:	825
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	118444  

Name:	01_P1060449.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	118445  
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:38   #128

Just Lol, the ply cracked, and even the plexus is uneven at the joint in the bearing, kinda a boat finished in a Friday ....
Old 06-02-2016, 08:01   #129

Boat: Sandibar 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
For those of you who may not know this dodge.. shut off engine water intake and remove the hose and add this to your pump armoury in an emergency..
Thanks! Did not know this dodge or ever thought of it, but makes perfect sense.
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:06   #130

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandibar View Post
Thanks! Did not know this dodge or ever thought of it, but makes perfect sense.

If at all possible remove the hose between the strainer and through hull. Otherwise bilge junk can clog the intake hose and possibly cook the engine. Even with a strainer there is still some risk of clogging and overheating the engine.

Also, remember the raw water pump of a typical propulsion engine on a 40-50 foot sail boat pumps < 500 gallons per hour. There are much higher flow electric pumps available.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:19   #131
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
No, no deck top bearing , and no, no auto alignment bearing anywhere, the top bearing is a white plastic piece glued to the ply with plexus , as I say 3 or 4 pages ago, Benetau admit the problem and call to the dealers for a Oceanis recall to install this steel bracket .. obviously this plate only solve one issue , the top bearing problem, but what about with the ply structure?

Pretty entertaining for those of us who have actually worked on these to watch people keep trying to explain why it's really a great system, eh?

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:20   #132

Boat: Sandibar 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
If at all possible remove the hose between the strainer and through hull. Otherwise bilge junk can clog the intake hose and possibly cook the engine. Even with a strainer there is still some risk of clogging and overheating the engine.

Also, remember the raw water pump of a typical propulsion engine on a 40-50 foot sail boat pumps < 500 gallons per hour. There are much higher flow electric pumps available.
Sure, I take this as a possible emergency fix, not a permanent arrangement. Thanks for the heads up.
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:23   #133
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandibar View Post
Sure, I take this as a possible emergency fix, not a permanent arrangement. Thanks for the heads up.

You can also plumb in a bilge strainer box, so that a valve shifts intake from your raw water intake to your strained bilge intake. Much faster and safer.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:27   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Pretty entertaining for those of us who have actually worked on these to watch people keep trying to explain why it's really a great system, eh?

I guess not anymore, to many with the same disease,,,
Old 06-02-2016, 09:43   #135

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The rudder support structure is shocking! If I had one of these boats, I'd put in a new rudder with a longer rudder shaft and move the top bearing up to the deck--after beefing up the deck with a lot more laminate. The lever arm between the two current bearings is way too short. Putting in a steel plate/bearing on top of the box and throwing a little glass on it is just a bandaid fix.

Now I understand why the charterers described as the wheels swinging wildly back and forth while the boat didn't turn. The autopilot was trying to keep the boat straight with a failed upper bearing support structure--the ram was just making the top of the rudder shaft wobble around instead of turning it.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oceanis, steering