Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2015, 18:04   #1

Oceanis 35 (2014) vs. PS 31

Hello ~ I am looking for my first boat and believe I would be best with a new (or almost new) boat since I do not have experience with fixing existing issues or refitting an older boat and would anticipate a new boat will allow me time learn these things over time.
My sailing experience is limited too, so looking to learn and grow into a new boat. I plan to start in SF Bay, but would like to have the capability to sail outside the bridge to destinations along the west coast, maybe beyond in the future.

Currently looking at the Oceanis 35 and Pacific Seacraft 31. I do understand the price difference, full keel and rudder differences and handling responses (O35 quicker, more responsive) but perhaps not as seaworthy for offshore coastal cruising?

I would welcome the feedback from the members on this forum, given the wealth of knowledge and experience you all have.

Thank - you!
Sierra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 18:44   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

PAcific Seacraft 31 vs Oceanis 35 is a wide spread. Two different boats. O35 will cost you $250k as they are so new. Would say both are offshore capable.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 13:51   #3

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin
Re: Oceanis 35 (2014) vs. PS 31

A bit like comparing apples to a box of... metric wrenches.

I spent a lot of time on an Oceanis 351 in the Atlantic on two deliveries. Did one PS40 delivery from SC to Tampa FL. Sort of a comparison. The Oceanis is lively offshore and easy to handle in a marina or mooring field. It also wanders a lot when at anchor. The PS is a dream offshore, harder to handle in tight quarters and solid a rock in an anchorage.

Sailors are snobs, er, some sailors are snobs and won't talk to you you unless you have an Oceanis or a PS. Which club do you want to join.

Daysailing favors the Oceanis and voyaging favors the PS. What do the sailors who sail the way you want to sail sail?

Go sailing! Have fun.
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 20:32   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I found looking at "the numbers" a useful tool for comparing boats.

SA/D, mast height, PHRF , tankage, even the maligned Motion Comfort number all give a somewhat objective comparison. Then ask what boat's traits best match what you are going to do with the boat????

The other wild card is head room, not sure about the Bene, but PSC like other Crealock designs have great headroom for tall guys.

Oh yeah, as a Tartan Owner, I have to suggest you look at Tartans in that price range. Well built and like the PSC hold value very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, oceanis