Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2020, 12:29   #31

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25
Re: ocean cruising boats list

My first boat was a double ended wooden ketch with no engine because the thinking back then was that if you left a harbor in just about anything else you would be dead in a matter of hours. Then we owned several small centerboard racing boats and a Santana %@% and eventually a Bill Lee designed 36 footer. But when went cruising we got an old full keel design. When we returned home at the end of the cruise was the Baja Bash a few weeks into hurricane season and every single single modern fin keeled boat we encountered during the two weeks it took us as we waited for weather windows was being delivered by delivery crews. The owners knew better than to beat that far to windward and the delivery crews were in far worse conditions of wear than we were an elderly couple with 2 dogs and and a 20 year old cat. My light weight boats all pounded to windward and my best day sailing down wind on Mana was 172 miles and we routinely hit the upper 13s kts, but we were surfing down 15 foot seas for a few days that time. There is typically more luxury on a modern fin keeler, but comfort in foul weather is usually nonexistent. We met couples in modern boats who gave up their cruising dreams the first time they encountered heavy weather. Although a few years ago we spent a moonless night in 65 kt headwinds and it gave my wife some fear. But all was good in the day light. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:48   #32
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by passage_paul View Post
As I continue to research and fine tune a shopping/review list I came across what I think is a very good website that may help others that are new and shopping around for a boat that will make ocean crossings.

mahina.com/cruise.html

about 3/4 way down is this fellows list. It has many boats and some great notes about positives and negatives.

This guy has quite the resume so I assume he has a pretty good idea of whats up, 38 years and 332k nm,,, what a blessed life that must be!

Mostly posted here for the benefit of new folks out looking for long haul home but may be of benefit for old timers looking to switch it up.

I was also pleased to see that most of the suggestions folks here on the forum gave to me are also listed. Thanks for not leading me astray..!!
The list you refer to are recommendations by John Neal the owner of Mahina Expeditions out of Friday Harbor, WA. It provides expensive sailing training leg-voyages (each leg is sold) on selected routes around the world, currently aboard his Hallberg Rassy 46. He is an accomplished sailor, author, and a businessman; the latter is not to be understated. I have attended many of his boat show seminars in Seattle and attended his all-day Offshore Cruising Seminar also featuring Amanda Swan Neal, his wife and accomplished rigger/sailor in her own rite. I have read his Log of the Mahina (1976) and Mahina Tiare Pacific Passages (1993), the latter co-written by Barbara Marrett, an earlier crewmember of his.

His first boat was a used 27' Albin Vega (Swedish) purchased in December, 1973 which he used to sail the Pacific and basis of his first book which is as stated, a "log". His second boat was Hallberg Rassy 31 (Sweden) which he sailed with Barbara Marrett, also of Friday Harbor, WA. I believe his next boat was a Hallberg Rassy 40 (Sweden) which I believe started his expedition business, and the present boat a Hallberg Rassy 46 (Sweden).

The man has sailed many miles aboard Swedish designed vessels and particularly Hallberg Rassy vessels...but nothing else from personal experience, so he is as biased as all of us are and his recommendations should be taken as such.

As a businessman he obviously can write-off all his expenses which doesn't put him a class with those of us that can't, so he doesn't have much of a feel for the average sailor's pocketbook and those dollar decisions we must make.

I am secretly envious of him for sailing the world and getting paid for it at the same time (although instructing is not my thing and just too many people aboard) but I don't agree with all his recommendations. I spent five years researching and looking for my boat and I really don't know any other way to do it...I don't believe in shortcuts, there is so much more than looks or speed that are important. Taking one man's word for it or picking a boat out of a long list seems short-sighted to me, particularly when talking about sailing offshore. I know my boat's pluses and minuses (no boat is perfect) and that is important when your worst nightmare happens.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 13:04   #33

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Passage Paul, just put sailorboy on your ignore list.

I find reading threads more relaxing, without his negative posts.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 12-03-2020, 13:05   #34

Not wanting to be nick picker, lol...as he starts to nit pick.

You may notice that he has several Catamarans on his new and updated list. While he really dissed liner built boats he seems to accept the same type of construction on many of his catamarans which feature glued bulkheads and glued hull to deck joints rather than fiberglass as he recommends which of course is a good business decision if you are getting a fee for the boats you recommend . So why is it OK to have a Lagoon on his list built by Beneteau but not ok to have a Beneteau on the list.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 14:46   #35

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Many posts have been deleted from this thread. Especially at this time, with concerns about the corona virus epidemic, we want to keep CF a safe place for folks to visit.

Here is a quote from the Community Rules: "We aim to ensure that the forum is an enjoyable place that you want to visit time and time again. Our philosophy is that we want Cruisers Forum to be an online reflection of the boating community. Treat each other with respect just as you would on the water.

"Our rules extend to all sections of the website including private messaging.
Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Excessive sarcasm, belligerence, insults, profanity, anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and national origin, are not acceptable."

Finally, for those of you who have been slinging "troll" comments: "Trolling on this board includes posting controversial and often irrelevant or off-topic messages with the intention of (or anticipated result of) baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal, harmonious on-topic discussion, especially when a pattern of such posting is apparent."
Old 12-03-2020, 15:31   #36

Boat: a sailing boat

To me, the best small ocean cruising boat today is the new Figaro.

Light, simple, fast, comfortable. Fewer days on passages and more fun time at destinations.

Big enough to take 2 people there and back.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 16:16   #37

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

Light, simple, fast, comfortable. Fewer days on passages and more fun time at destinations.

b.
Really?

Which one?

Can it pass the test to do the Fastnet race?
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 17:43   #38

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

Well I guess I will weigh in here. Go sailing as much, on as many boats, and as far off shore as you can on others boats. I think there is some real bargains in New Zealand and Australia, especially considering the exchange rate. They are built for the southern latitudes. Great cruising and amazing people. Spend some time learning from others before buying.
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 19:25   #39

Boat: Bavaria Vision 46

Another Blue Water Boat Topic! I haven't replied to one of these but have read many of them, so here is my two cents. I'm new to sailing only 6 years, 33 to 46' sailboats. The "old" list is obviously from sailors who have been sailing many more than 6 years, so I can't say anything about that list. But, I can say something about more modern boats and this forum, which most often has nothing good to say about modern boats. Without further complaint, I will say that you should pick a boat for your purpose. I would guess that only 1% sail offshore, and less than that sail across oceans. So, why is this topic so popular? Coastal cruising is what most of us do, so why buy a stout, slow, heavy, old, wet, maintenance nightmare, crew dependent boat? Instead, buy a modern, light/medium weight, good quality, good build, new or newish and therefore good shape, dry, single-hand, boat. Your crew should bring the drinks, not work their asses off. I prefer the simple, single-hand, longer, more stable, bright, new, modern boat. Everything works, doesn't smell like mold, doesn't need updating or fixing and is a pleasure to sail. And, doesn't cost a fortune to buy, or refit. Just an opinion from someone who handles the boat solo, with a happy crew who brings the drinks. Simple, happy sailing!
Old 12-03-2020, 19:51   #40
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofiaB View Post
Another Blue Water Boat Topic! I haven't replied to one of these but have read many of them, so here is my two cents. I'm new to sailing only 6 years, 33 to 46' sailboats. The "old" list is obviously from sailors who have been sailing many more than 6 years, so I can't say anything about that list. But, I can say something about more modern boats and this forum, which most often has nothing good to say about modern boats. Without further complaint, I will say that you should pick a boat for your purpose. I would guess that only 1% sail offshore, and less than that sail across oceans. So, why is this topic so popular? Coastal cruising is what most of us do, so why buy a stout, slow, heavy, old, wet, maintenance nightmare, crew dependent boat? Instead, buy a modern, light/medium weight, good quality, good build, new or newish and therefore good shape, dry, single-hand, boat. Your crew should bring the drinks, not work their asses off. I prefer the simple, single-hand, longer, more stable, bright, new, modern boat. Everything works, doesn't smell like mold, doesn't need updating or fixing and is a pleasure to sail. And, doesn't cost a fortune to buy, or refit. Just an opinion from someone who handles the boat solo, with a happy crew who brings the drinks. Simple, happy sailing!
So all old stout boats are wet, moldy, slow, broken down and require crew? All newer boats are more stable, simpler, don’t require maintenance and all can be single handed?
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 19:54   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
So all old stout boats are wet, moldy, slow, broken down and require crew? All newer boats are more stable, simpler, don’t require maintenance and all can be single handed?
Actually, never owned an old stinky boat that has all lines led to the mast, but if I did, yes.

Please take no offense. As I said, what do I know; I've only been sailing for a short time.
Old 12-03-2020, 20:01   #42
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofiaB View Post
Actually, never owned an old stinky boat that has all lines led to the mast, but if I did, yes.

Please take no offense. As I said, what do I know; I've only been sailing for a short time.
Seen plenty of new stinky neglected boats as well. It’s not the boats fault it’s the owners. I do recommend you get on a well kept ‘old stinky’ cruiser for yourself. beaten plenty of ‘fast’ modern boats both up and down wind, again it’s not the boats fault
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 20:18   #43

rbi, I agree with you 100% about neglect, no matter the age or design of the boat. From your responses, I must assume you have an older boat which you take a lot of pride in ownership, maintenance and appearance.

I personnel would love to own a cold-molded, classic design boat. I do own an "affordable" modern production boat which I actually love, but it has the character of a Yugo. The challenge with newer production boats is keeping them like new which is just about impossible. I'd prefer to have a stout boat, which classic lines and joinery which breaths character, where the wear highlights the character like laugh lines. All I need to do is convince the co-pilot, but after trying for 3 years, crawling in and out of dozens of boats I thought were perfect, we ended up with a modern production boat. If only I had found that well built classic that had been taken care of!
Old 12-03-2020, 21:01   #44

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
b.
"Light" is usually not a desired quality one seeks in ocean cruising boats.
Old 12-03-2020, 21:09   #45

Nothing wrong with light if it's really strong. Problem is that high strength and light costs lots of money. Back in the day I sailed a Santa Cruz 50 offshore, it was light and strong and really sailed well off the wind. Not cheap though. If it's cheap and light it won't be high strength, not the way the formula works.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cruising