Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 12:23   #31

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
After reading through the posts, at 28’ I am starting to think that my boat is far big enough to make the journey as the model is renowned for having done in the past. However, the only way I will ever get there is if I ignore all the politics of sailing forums and the yachting community and put my energy into preparations and sea time. Why waste the opportunity?
Old 10-02-2010, 12:56   #32

@Geminidawn: to that I agree. I wouldn't even think one minute about setting out in one of these things. But, they are fun.

In relations to the actual topic question: if it were to be a monohull, it would have to be over 33 ft. But pref 40 to 45. Just for the wave and living comforts, especially if you have to battle against the winds.
But why go in a monohull if you can go by cat!
rocma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 14:31   #33

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
After reading through the posts, at 28’ I am starting to think that my boat is far big enough to make the journey as the model is renowned for having done in the past. However, the only way I will ever get there is if I ignore all the politics of sailing forums and the yachting community and put my energy into preparations and sea time. Why waste the opportunity?
I think you are on the right track.
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 15:55   #34
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcruiser View Post
@Geminidawn : not safely? I beg to differ. Unformortable yes, but unsafe, certainly not. You just have to know what you are doing.
Also remember the Question, and the fact not everyone is lucky enough to be able to afford a boat 28ft+..... as BruceC stated it has and can be done by smaller.... not everyone needs the dvd player, microwave, air conditioner, radar and other needless extras that come under the indispensable "Safety/Comfort Zone" demanded by so many.... ok they're nice but IMO given a choice I'll sail without them anytime... actually I do hahaha.... and revel in the joy and freedom of the open water....
To much on here seems to be spouted by overcautious, timid folk who can find reasons not to do things much quicker than they can find reasons to do them.... if your boat is of sound design and in good condition you can safely cruise most anywhere at the right time of year....
Just don't set schedules and... DO NOT PRESS YOUR BOAT BEYOND ITS LIMITS.... personally I reef down well before 'the limit'... good for my health and good for my wallet...
All well and good talking about Mini Transats... but they're not cruisers... and often they're sponsored do it, so it does not matter if they break their boats... plus they're glory hounds chasing fame and fortune and prepared to risk all to achieve it...
For Christs Sake stop scaring the average Joe who just wants to sail and is discouraged by talk of 40ft plus being the only "Safe" thing.... I've put up with Head Shakers and TutTut'ers for years... a lot of them are still sitting at the dock or in their armchairs "Perfecting" their plans or boats.. years after I've sailed...
GET A BOAT..... GET A LIFE...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 16:13   #35

Well said in the post aboveI have owned sailboats from 10ft to 65ft; and found myself longing for my small boat days while transiting (and paying out the ying yang) the Panama Canal on the then 65fter. Crew hassles, fuel costs, dockage, yadda,yadda I don't begrudge folks who love the bigger 'yachts' but don't smirk at my smaller boat as I sail by you hanging on your anchor because "it's too much trouble to go day sailing"

I'm looking for another small boat under 30ft for my next adventure...Coastal Sailing down to the Bahamas, across to Columbia and over to the Panama Canal, up the Coast to California. I pick my weather, pay attention to my boat's condition; and take responsibility for my own safety at Sea by making sure my boat is up to snuff.
CastOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 17:16   #36

Boat: a sailing boat
28' is OK. My boat is smaller.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 17:30   #37

I've sailed my 17 fter 10miles off the East Coast in the Atlantic in New England before without issue; and if it had the room for cruising gear I'd have never gone back to Port! Great sailing boat M17, just not enough storage inside for extended cruising IME. Small boats under 30ft seem to be my favorite sailboats because you KNOW when you're on the helm of a Fine one IME.
CastOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 22:34   #38

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
28' is OK. My boat is smaller.

b.
I just got the most seaworthy boat I could afford – a steel Herreshoff 28 ketch. In the back of my mind I have always dreamed about doing something like a solo circumnavigation and it now seems I have the right boat for the purpose. I can see how you could do the same in just about anything, but at least this particular design has a proven track record of successful circumnavigations.

Another good thing about circumnavigators is many write books about their adventures. I have just finished reading Robin Lee Grahams “Dove”. He set out on a solo circumnavigation at age 16 in a 24’ boat. Stories like this are an absolute inspiration. It is wonderful to read about the simplicity and ease in which he completed most of his journey.

In comparison, you just have to look at the first few chapters of Francis Chichester’s “Gipsy Moth Circles the World” and you get a good idea of how much a bigger overcomplicated boat can make the solo circumnavigator’s life an absolute misery.

Anyway, I am going to keep absorbing inspiration while modifying the boat appropriately; one day I might just get out of bed and decide it is time to go.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:18   #39

Boat: Hurley 22 Gala
I think you would find it hard to find a small yacht better and safer than a Hurley 22 for a ocean crossing with her 60% ballast and great sea keeping, but that being said most sailors today would not want to put up with the discomfort of it. Bigger just = more comfort
BruceC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:19   #40

Boat: S&S 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
I would consider doing it in a Norsea 27.

That's the smallest I would consider for reasons of comfort. The smaller you go, the rougher the ride and the more spartan the experience. Lots of trips have been done with smaller vessels in safety, but not with much comfort.

Serge Testa did his circumnavigation in 500 days in Acrohc Australis which is 11 feet 10 inches long. It was a deep keel spartan yacht that he constructed by himself in Australia. You can see it on display in a museum in Brisbane.

You can also read his book, "500 Days - Around the World on a 12 Foot Yacht". Serge Testa. Trident Press.
Yes , saw it in maritime museum in Brisy... aluminium about 4ft 6in draft and 11 ft long bloody fantastic!!!!!

Regards Jim
Jim Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:55   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Get the book - A SPECK ON THE SEA by William Longyard - its worth a read to appreciate small boat voyaging
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:25   #42

To all the small boat lovers above: sure you can go with 28 ft. It has nothing to do with unsafe or not.
But am I allowed to say I wouldn't go with anything under 40 ft as it is just not comfortable? No way I would go in a 28ft accross the ocean. I am not into SM.
rocma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:58   #43

Boat: B24
Quote:
To all the small boat lovers ... wouldn't go with anything under 40 ft ... I am not into SM.
Why not forty plus, why not forty minus… There are fifty footers that shouldn’t be taken out of sight of land, and there fifteen footers that have made long, uneventful voyages; some folks like to camp in a Winnebago, some like their camping in the penthouse, some like it (gasp) in a tent and a few just sleep under the stars… all are possible, for some… I’d guess it takes folks a year or two, and maybe a boat or two, to know where thier comfort range is… one thing for sure, if boat and skipper don’t like each other, sooner or later they’ll begin to avoid one another and never go anywhere… boat and skipper gotta have a thing for each other, they gotta want to take care of each other… my guess, quantifying all this isn’t done in feet/meters…
Old 11-02-2010, 07:01   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
How small? I would have to figure out how uncomfortable I am willing to be.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:05   #45

Quote:
To all the small boat lovers above: sure you can go with 28 ft. It has nothing to do with unsafe or not.
But am I allowed to say I wouldn't go with anything under 40 ft as it is just not comfortable? No way I would go in a 28ft accross the ocean. I am not into SM.
You can say that small boats are less comfortable than large. It's the people saying that smaller boats are unsafe that gets the small boat lovers hackles up.
zydecotoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ocean crossing