Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2015, 17:37   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Novice air cond question

I was curious about the AC with Alternator / inverter thing so I gave it a shot today. I just finished installing my whisker pole and wanted to give this DDW thing a try, so I motored about 5 miles or so upwind.
What happened on my boat was the batteries discharged until the alternator saw a low enough voltage that it went to absorb, once in absorb it would carry the load, barely. So it seems at least with mine, you can run the AC off the Alternator.
Has to be hard on the alternator though I would think.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 17:53   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Acclimatize ! Think my ac,s are dead as we never use them. Not worth the noise or hastle and the expense... Fans are as effective for us !
Old 29-12-2015, 18:14   #18

No free lunch. A huge battery bank with a charging system to feed it, inverter to pull the power out and fuel to keep it going, is likely going to be more expensive than just installing a generator and keeping things simple.

Also don't forget that huge battery bank will wear out after a period of time if you are running it completely down regularly, so that will eat up what little fuel savings you can come up with.

A built in generator is nicer but since we spend most of our time in marinas, our yamaha2400 does a nice job when at anchor.

As far as the idea of just "surviving" without, no thanks. We aren't out to prove we can "survive". Cruising is meant to be an enjoyable experience for us and we've been in far too many calm muggy anchorages to put up with that.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 18:28   #19

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

I've been looking at the RV style roof top AC. Fits nicely over the saloon hatch, nice low profile so it does not obstruct the boom vang or any lines. But have not got up to power requirements yet.
Do these things only run off an external power or the vehicle battery/alternator?
Old 29-12-2015, 18:37   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausgras View Post
I've been looking at the RV style roof top AC. Fits nicely over the saloon hatch, nice low profile so it does not obstruct the boom vang or any lines. But have not got up to power requirements yet.
Do these things only run off an external power or the vehicle battery/alternator?
If you are certain nothing is likely to catch on them on you have a flat section of deck, they are a nice option as it eliminates the complications that come with water cooled marine units.

But they won't solve the power requirement issue. They typically come in 13.5k or 15k btu units and the power consumption is similar to a similar sized marine unit.
Old 29-12-2015, 18:37   #21

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:

Shore power only. And they're not saltwater resistant at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 18:38   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichandHelen View Post
You gotta be kidding...

About what?

Old 29-12-2015, 18:38   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:

There is a Marine version, which I believe is about the same. They run off of AC, and I think other than expense there is no advantage.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 18:44   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Shore power only. And they're not saltwater resistant at all.

If you are talking about taking wave over the top of the unit, probably true. The ones I've seen on boat are typically mounted at the highest point on the cabin to largely negate this issue.

If it's just the salt air, the RV's that stay in beach locations do fine.
Old 29-12-2015, 18:51   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
If you are talking about taking wave over the top of the unit, probably true. The ones I've seen on boat are typically mounted at the highest point on the cabin to largely negate this issue.

If it's just the salt air, the RV's that stay in beach locations do fine.

I think that depends on beach location. They go to s@$t pretty quickly on Galveston island, 2-3 years before they're really problematic.

Old 29-12-2015, 19:50   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I think that depends on beach location. They go to s@$t pretty quickly on Galveston island, 2-3 years before they're really problematic.

We spent significant time with the RV in a number of coastal locations including Port Aransas (just south of Galveston). Our 1997 unit is still fine and haven't heard of others complaining about problems.

If we had a power boat (no boom or lines to snag on it), I'd switch in a heartbeat.
Old 29-12-2015, 19:58   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichandHelen View Post
You gotta be kidding...
Based on several years living aboard in the Bahamas and Caribbean I would agree with the 98% comfortable at anchor statement and I do like my comfort and that includes staying cool.

Then there's the 2% of the time when I would trade half interest in my boat for a bit of air conditioning. One of those nights when it's hot, muggy, no breeze at all and then the bugs attack. Leave the hatches open and you're eaten alive by mosquitoes or noseeums or both. Close the hatches and you risk heat stroke.

At the dock in a marina is a whole different story.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
novice