Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2016, 09:17   #16

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Re: Nova Scotia v. the Saint John River Valley, NB

Thanks for the advice, everybody. I'm certainly fortunate to be making this decision and either destination would be wonderful. Getting all the way to Bras D'Or is not out of the question but it is a bit far for the time I've got. Also not impossible would be trying to do only few days in Nova Scotia and then head to St. John for an abbreviated tour for the river. My experiences tell me, however, that it's better to be less ambitious in making plans rather than try to rush through an unrealistic itinerary.

Either way, I will definitely be reentering the US at Lubec, Maine, as I have family to visit in that area and it has always been my primary cruising destination Downeast.

Another way to frame the decision would be to look at the potential detractors to each destination. (I don't want to overstate these, but here goes...) My advance-critique for the St. John is that it could be mostly motoring by day and mostly swatting mosquitoes by night. Could get tedious. As for Nova Scotia, the disadvantage I could foresee would be a high density of lobster boats (bless their hearts) and greater difficulty finding a secluded anchorage. For those of you that have experiences, did you ever find the St. John to be dull or Nova Scotia to be overcrowded?

I should have a decent sized crew this year and now that I finally have a boat that is really capable, I think it would make sense to give the people what they want: an offshore passage to Nova Scotia. Maybe we'll find time for St. John or parts farther east, or maybe that will until next time.

Does anyone have a favorite cruising guide on Nova Scotia?
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 13:31   #17

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Thanks for the advice, everybody. I'm certainly fortunate to be making this decision and either destination would be wonderful. Getting all the way to Bras D'Or is not out of the question but it is a bit far for the time I've got. Also not impossible would be trying to do only few days in Nova Scotia and then head to St. John for an abbreviated tour for the river. My experiences tell me, however, that it's better to be less ambitious in making plans rather than try to rush through an unrealistic itinerary.

Either way, I will definitely be reentering the US at Lubec, Maine, as I have family to visit in that area and it has always been my primary cruising destination Downeast.

Another way to frame the decision would be to look at the potential detractors to each destination. (I don't want to overstate these, but here goes...) My advance-critique for the St. John is that it could be mostly motoring by day and mostly swatting mosquitoes by night. Could get tedious. As for Nova Scotia, the disadvantage I could foresee would be a high density of lobster boats (bless their hearts) and greater difficulty finding a secluded anchorage. For those of you that have experiences, did you ever find the St. John to be dull or Nova Scotia to be overcrowded?

I should have a decent sized crew this year and now that I finally have a boat that is really capable, I think it would make sense to give the people what they want: an offshore passage to Nova Scotia. Maybe we'll find time for St. John or parts farther east, or maybe that will until next time.

Does anyone have a favorite cruising guide on Nova Scotia?

No lobster pots once you cross into Canada. The Bay of Fundy & east coast of N.S. lobster seasons close Jun 30 th & don't re-open until Nov.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lobster Season Chart.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	136200
Old 14-11-2016, 14:51   #18

Boat: Little Harbor 38

There are two good cruising guides to Nova Scotia. The Cruising Guide to the Nova Scotia Coast by the CCA. I think it's available at Amazon, if not try Landfall. A Cruising Guide to Nova Scotia by Peter Loveridge - this one you will have to Google as its available only as a cd. I printed it out and had it bound, 400 or so pages. Oh there is one more if you can find it, Cruising the Eastern Shore by Mike Cox. Each one has good things going for it.
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 15:28   #19

Pop through the Reversing Falls to say you've done it, then a day in Grand Bay will suffice. Over nite at Saint John Marina or RKYC close by. Or pick up a mooring ball at GrandBay-Westfield ferry (Brundage Point) for $3. Next day up Long Reach until out of wind and the channel narrows in. You'll need a day + motoring to get into Grand Lake, mooring balls at Douglas Harbour available. I sail inside Grand Bay being a total novice, McCormacks Cove on Kennebecasis Island is home. Good sheltered anchorage. Hope this helps.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 18:46   #20

Quote:
Dull and overcrowded kind of depend on one's perspective, and I would say no and no to your questions, but others would argue differently.

I might suggest looking at it as whether you and your crew would prefer sailing up a much larger Canadian version of the Penobsnot, where a larger version of Bangor is at the river mouth, or sailing the outer islands of a Canadian Penobsnot Bay and the like. As was mentioned, lobster season here ends late June so that problem is off of the con list. On the pro side, there will still be lots of fresh lobster around! If you did the St. John river thing you could also cross the Bay of Fundy and check out the Annapolis Basin and Digby Neck areas which have some worthwhile towns to visit, beautiful scenery, and some all round good sailing.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 10:12   #21

Great advice and perspective, thanks all. I'm definitely going to get those cruising guides and it's great to know about lobstering season. I'll see how things develop and I'll let you know what happens! Now back to the real maintenance... trip planning is a fun diversion when it's this far out.
Old 17-11-2016, 12:44   #22

Boat: Alberg 35 Yawl eventide

I live in Lunenburg so I am definitely biased but sailing does not get any better than the Nova Scotia south shore & the Bras D'or lakes.
blakeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 08:27   #23

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeney View Post
I live in Lunenburg so I am definitely biased but sailing does not get any better than the Nova Scotia south shore & the Bras D'or lakes.
Have you done "Race the Cape" ?
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 13:13   #24

Hey all,

I've decided to focus on Nova Scotia this summer and go up the Saint John another year. Quick question here...

When I cleared into Canada on Grand Manan a couple years ago I called the phone number, answered a few questions, and was cleared over the phone. My question: is this still the procedure, and can this be done anywhere in the Canadian Maritimes? Or if I am within a certain distance of Halifax will they make me go all the way in to visit a real customs office?

I plan on sailing from Nantucket across the Gulf of Maine and choosing an anchorage based on convenience in terms of weather and timing. If they will clear us over the phone from anywhere, it makes it much easier. If that is only done on bigger islands like Grand Manan (where they no longer have a customs office) then I will need to plan accordingly.

Thanks,
Jack
Old 15-02-2017, 13:27   #25

https://www.facebook.com/notes/26877...0224136644623/
Old 15-02-2017, 13:28   #26

Boat: Endeavour 42

The procedure is the same even if you are in Halifax. You still call the number and if all goes well they will clear you in. If they decide that they want to inspect, then they will direct you as to where that will happen.

3 years ago I sailed my boat back to Halifax from Charleston, SC. When I arrived in Halifax I called the number. They cleared me in and directed me to go to the Border Services office to pay the tax on the boat (i bought it in Charleston). They gave me a week to do so.
courish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 13:31   #27

Telephone Reporting Site/Marine (TRS/M) | Directory of CBSA Offices and Services | Canada Border Services Agency

List of Can. Customs ports
Old 15-02-2017, 16:03   #28

My gut tells me that clearing by phone may not apply in all cases this year due to the number of refugees currently entering Canada in -17C in BC, Manitoba and Quebec. Border officials may have different procedures this year.

Just sayin'

P.S. It's our 150th birthday this year, and you're invited!
yahtzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 18:13   #29

Boat: Catalina 30

I live on the south shore of Nova Scotia and sail out of the LaHave river , the Cape LaHave islands have many nice quiet spots to anchor and explore, the LaHave river Is pretty with Riverport, LaHave and Bridgewater being populated areas to visit, also our local working mans yacht club the LRYC has a great bar and grill with Tuesday and Thursday evening racing, Saturday races and a great bar and grill. Lobster pots aren't an issue during summer, mosquitos are a nuisance for about an hour in the evening so bring hatch screens, be prepared for fog and cooler temps offshore but also stellar days of sunshine and great sailing
Peters Wet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 06:02   #30

Boat: Little Harbor 38

Quote:
Hey all,

I've decided to focus on Nova Scotia this summer and go up the Saint John another year. Quick question here...

When I cleared into Canada on Grand Manan a couple years ago I called the phone number, answered a few questions, and was cleared over the phone. My question: is this still the procedure, and can this be done anywhere in the Canadian Maritimes? Or if I am within a certain distance of Halifax will they make me go all the way in to visit a real customs office?

Thanks,
Jack
We have gone to Canada the last four or five years and have cleared in by phone every time. Have not done Halifax - only Shelbourne, St. John, Grand Manan, Deer Island
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nova scotia