Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2007, 23:10   #1

Boat: 38' Homebuilt Cutter - "Atticus"
Nor'Sea 27 as my first crusier boat...

I have been doing a lot of research on what I would like my first cruiser to be.

My budget is about $50,000. I would like the boat to have a very classic look, you know, brass portholes. I think I have found what I am looking for in the Nor'Sea 27. I have found a few for sale in my range, some nicely equiped.

I was looking for some feedback, positive or negative...or other suggestions if you think I am going in the wrong direction.

Thanks. - Michael
Colorado Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2007, 07:30   #2

take a look at this site - he has done a very good job:

Living Aboard a Nor’sea 27
rossir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2007, 12:01   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Norseman 447
@ Colorado Dreamer:

It's a great boat. It does two things well. It sails oceans AND it trailers. I wouldnt call it the IDEAL ocean going boat, but lots of folks do it. And I plan to as well. She was designed to be 10' wide. She's 8'. There are some issues with that IMO. But not enough to stop me from going!

It's a great boat and for the money, you cant beat them, in terms of what your looking for -- traditional style.

Norsea 27' is a great size for one and two very excellent friends. I love living aboard her ALONE.... and even though Id love to find a suitable Mate, I cant imagine how we'd both fit!

Anyways. Drop a line if youd like more specific answers. Have you been to the yahoo Norsea forum? Which ones are you considering?

@Rossir: thanks for the kind words.

-b
benjiwoodboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2007, 13:04   #4

Ben:

Small world! - I think I came across your blog through sailblog - but maybe it was somewhere else - I particularly liked your photos and catalogue of work you've done - I am really a novice but am interested in exploring the liveaboard/cruising life. You have a beautiful boat!
rossir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2007, 15:07   #5

Boat: 38' Homebuilt Cutter - "Atticus"
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiwoodboat
@ Colorado Dreamer:

It's a great boat. It does two things well. It sails oceans AND it trailers. I wouldnt call it the IDEAL ocean going boat, but lots of folks do it. And I plan to as well. She was designed to be 10' wide. She's 8'. There are some issues with that IMO. But not enough to stop me from going!

It's a great boat and for the money, you cant beat them, in terms of what your looking for -- traditional style.

Norsea 27' is a great size for one and two very excellent friends. I love living aboard her ALONE.... and even though Id love to find a suitable Mate, I cant imagine how we'd both fit!

Anyways. Drop a line if youd like more specific answers. Have you been to the yahoo Norsea forum? Which ones are you considering?

@Rossir: thanks for the kind words.

-b
Ben,
It was actually your blog that I stumbled on some time past that made me first consider the Nor'Sea. You have a great resource there for people like me. As my selection process progresses I hope to bounce some questions off of you. - Michael
Colorado Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2007, 22:08   #6

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
When we sailed across the Pacific to New Zealand, we sailed in the company of two Norsea 27's. One Norsea had two men on board, and the other had a family of three people on board. They all had a safe voyage across the pacific.

It is a compact, but very seaworthy vessel. It's a real dream machine that can take you anywhere you want to go.

Smaller vessels like the Norsea 27 may get tossed around a bit more in rough seas, but you will always come through intact. If you get into trouble, it won't be because of the yacht. It will be because of pilot error most likely.

Very few pocket cruisers have as much going for them as the Norsea 27.

Cheers,
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 08:06   #7
learningcurve

We hooked up with a couple on a Norsea 27 in Desolation Sound a few years back. Nice little boat. I love the aft cabin design (on a 27 foot boat!). The couple really loved it, especially, as they were retired, it was small enough to tow to the NW, Mexico, Florida, etc.

They said that late model Nor'sea 27's had some hull problems (blister?). Early models better supposedly.

(this is second hand info)
Old 22-07-2007, 08:43   #8

Boat: Monk 36 (formerly Westsail 32)
The Lyle Hess designed Nor Sea is a stout little boat. I've been on a couple but never sailed on one. Hess designed some very sea worthy vessels and it appears this one is no exception. The famous Sarraphyn of Victoria (24LOD) and Taleison (29LOD) are also famous vessels owned by the Pardey's and both are still sailing today.

Saying that, there are other good choices out there. I also like the Pacific Seacraft ORION. She is a stout 27 footer that has more beam and more headroom. There is on in Yachtworld for sale in Annapolis with an asking price of $35K. I do like the Nor Sea but think they are pretty expensive for what you get. Other vessels to consider are Cape Dory, Liberty 28, Island Packet 26.

HERON
Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 04:37   #9

Re: Nor'Sea 27 as my first crusier boat...

I bought a Cape Dory for my first boat.... It was cheep and all I could afford best thing..... I was sailing!!! The Nor'sea is 4 times the $$$$ if you have it spend it. If not go sailing on what you can afford. I'm selling my Cape Dory after 14 years.... I bought a 92 Nor'sea....

#396 La Bella Mela
dogbeach2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 05:49   #10

Old thread alert (8 years). If that guy was going to buy a boat, I'm sure he did it already.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 06:07   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Old thread alert (8 years). If that guy was going to buy a boat, I'm sure he did it already.
Second place...??? There was a 8-10 yo thread reply a while back that was hilarious!

Welcome to CF dogbeach2!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nor'sea