Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2021, 10:45   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Nonsuch 30, your opinion on the pricing

Am looking at these. Came across one that looks in much better shape, new diesel, new sails, new awlgrip topsides. But asking about 15-30k more than everything else. Hoping someone knows the pricing better and can give some advice.

Here is a general search of all in US.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats-for...h&length=27-31

Here is the one I was considering
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...ch-30-3550651/

For 20k less, this seems viable?
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 06:27   #2

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57
Re: Nonsuch 30, your opinion on the pricing

For a 30, in that year, it seems high. My guess is they are trying to recover some money from the new diesel. There seems to be less to fix on it than most though, some water staining on the wood in some places. I'd be sure to check for ply delamination and dry rot. I'd think 55k on the high side. 70 seems nuts.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 06:29   #3

Appreciate the response. Thought lots would chime in!

Any idea what it would cost to put in that engine? I was thinking 49 would be a top price myself.
Old 02-08-2021, 08:10   #4

15-20k. More depending on installer. 37hp in a 30' sailboat also seems nuts. Mine is a 32 and it started out with a 10hp volvo. Now it has an "excessive" 16hp.

Like most things, send the guy an offer and see what happens.
Old 02-08-2021, 08:44   #5

Yes, normally that would have a 29 yammer at most. 20 hp woukd be standard for 5 ton boat. Actually worried that it is wrong size and will have to run way to close to idle. Have to underprop to get proper rpm.
Old 02-08-2021, 08:51   #6

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Last spring I sold my 1986 Nonsuch 30 Ultra.
It had original Westerbeke 27hp diesel, electric Lewmar winch, air conditioning, bow thruster, Strongtrack mainsail luff track system, 42" flat TV, dodger and bimini, Garmin 2210 GPS plotter, Autohelm 4000, Mike Quill wishbone extension, Genco Stackpack sail cover, freezer, and all of the other stuff one expects.

I had over $80,000 in that boat, and owned it for 10 years.

It was also a FRESH WATER boat.

But all I could get was $55,000 CDN

Just something to compare to.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:35   #7

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Am looking at these. Came across one that looks in much better shape, new diesel, new sails, new awlgrip topsides. But asking about 15-30k more than everything else. Hoping someone knows the pricing better and can give some advice.
Here is a general search of all in US.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats-for...h&length=27-31
Here is the one I was considering
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...ch-30-3550651/For 20k less, this seems viable?

Sweet boat! We loved our Nonsuch 30 classic and only let it go to become full time cruisers. Fun and easy to sail, lots of room, very well built, my biggest complaint is that with it's beamy, flat bottom it's pretty rolly at anchor (we used rocker stoppers).

The Ultra is a desired model because of the interior layout including a stateroom rather than completely open like the classic.

My guess is that the price reflects the following-

- Nonsuch is a well built, desired brand that resells for more than most other boats of it's size.

- The Ultra is a desired layout and can be hard to find.

- A good, well installed new engine means easy, clean reliable operation and maintenance and is worth a premium over a beater.

- The PO obviously took really good care of it and a survey should show if that is more than cosmetic.

Of course you shouldn't usually pay full price, but in this market for this boat, $50-$60K is reasonable and the boat should fetch that without a problem from you or someone else.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:58   #8

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Yes, normally that would have a 29 yammer at most. 20 hp woukd be standard for 5 ton boat. Actually worried that it is wrong size and will have to run way to close to idle. Have to underprop to get proper rpm.

Higher hp engine at idle will not turn the prop any faster than a 20hp engine at idle assuming the same idle RPM since he didn't change the transmission ratio. What will happen though, is that at cruising speed or even at max speed, the higher power engine may be underloaded, which can cause under heating, which the experts tell us can be bad longterm.
OP could UP prop (larger diameter, higher pitch, which would help load the engine a bit more, and use the higher power of the engine to get higher maximum speed under power.
Even with this big new engine, the asking price for a 30' boat is way too high - unless you must have a Nonesuch!
Old 02-08-2021, 10:20   #9

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest Lakes View Post
15-20k. More depending on installer. 37hp in a 30' sailboat also seems nuts. Mine is a 32 and it started out with a 10hp volvo. Now it has an "excessive" 16hp.

Is your boat a Nonsuch?

Nonsuch is a very beamy, fin keel boat with a largely flat hull aft of the bow (well, slightly rounded, not totally flat). It is larger and heavier than most production 30 footers.

Mine had a 30hp that seemed perfect for it, 37 doesn't seem "nuts" and 16hp would definitely be underpowered for this boat.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:31   #10

Mine is not. I have a Columbia 9.6 that displaces about the same with the 16hp. I also have a Hunter 37C that displaces 18k and still only uses 27hp. Many of those had the 2QM20 which was only 20hp. They are beamy, I'll grant you that, but it is surprising to see that much motor.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:01   #11

I once considered buying a Nonsuch 30 but access to service the shaft stuffing box seemed almost impossible without removing the engine due to the v-drive configuration.
rphdiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:33   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
Last spring I sold my 1986 Nonsuch 30 Ultra.
It had original Westerbeke 27hp diesel, electric Lewmar winch, air conditioning, bow thruster, Strongtrack mainsail luff track system, 42" flat TV, dodger and bimini, Garmin 2210 GPS plotter, Autohelm 4000, Mike Quill wishbone extension, Genco Stackpack sail cover, freezer, and all of the other stuff one expects.

I had over $80,000 in that boat, and owned it for 10 years.

It was also a FRESH WATER boat.

But all I could get was $55,000 CDN

Just something to compare to.
I was going to say something clever about waiting a year, but then I looked... so you probably did ok, all things considered.

(so net $25k "lost" in 10 years of ownership --$2.5k/year... some would say that's great value...)

To the OP - find a boat with the best condition hull and rigging, then add a number for doing the repower after purchase, and compare that with the new-engined boat.

Nonsuch are the cruiser's cruiser - a bit posh, more interior space for the length, "classic" looks. They always seem to command a premium.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote