Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2020, 21:22   #1

Boat: Mariner 36
Nonsuch 30 Ultra

Hi, I thinking of purchasing a 1988 Nonsuch 30 Ultra. Plan to sail it on the Peconic Bay, NY. Just looking for a good boat that I can single hand myself. I own a Mariner 36 which I sail on the San Francisco Bay in the winter. So I know how to sail just looking for a boat that easy to sail by myself. I would appreciate any comments r3garding this boat. I see a few with new engines, are the original engine a problem? Any thing I should look for about the hull or cabin top? Thanks
Sailor George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:41   #2

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: No such 30 Ultra

They are terrific boats for single handing. They are getting on in years so it really matters how the individual boat has been looked after. Deck and hull are cored. I have not heard of many problems with the hull but soft spots can happen on deck. The factory installed things to deck through solid glass sections but owners often were not careful when adding things. I don't think the original engines were particularly problematic but they are getting old. A re-engined boat would be nice.
Old 09-06-2020, 07:30   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I have surveyed 44 Nonsuch's from 30 to 36.
You have a 50% chance of having bad core in the bottom.

I have always found this very curious as the same people built the Niagara's with balsa bottoms and issues on those boats are rare.
Old 09-06-2020, 22:00   #4

Thank you for your input! I will make sure the survey looks at the bottom core. Not crazy about a core hull boat! Is it above the water line? I would prefer a solid laminate to above the water line. What I read from your post the entire hull is balsa core? Thanks
Old 10-06-2020, 04:17   #5
Marine Service Provider

Re: Nonsuch 30 Ultra

Full core to within about 10" of the keel
Old 10-06-2020, 11:56   #6

Boat poker, thanks for the information. Do you still do surveys? I’m based in Southampton, NY so I would consider an East Coast Boat. If I find one would you be up to survey it? I own a 1980 Mariner 36 which is a solid hull laminate which I sail on the San Francisco Bay. Boats in good condition and I put holy water on the original engine every summer. I’m getting concerned about a cored hull. I’m retired now but owned a composite shop we’re we made many cored laminates. The composite was never good on impact! You would crush the core and sometimes crack the laminate skin. So I may change my search and look for a newer Catalina 310, say 2010 or newer. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-06-2020, 12:26   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor George View Post
Boat poker, thanks for the information. Do you still do surveys? I’m based in Southampton, NY so I would consider an East Coast Boat. If I find one would you be up to survey it? I own a 1980 Mariner 36 which is a solid hull laminate which I sail on the San Francisco Bay. Boats in good condition and I put holy water on the original engine every summer. I’m getting concerned about a cored hull. I’m retired now but owned a composite shop we’re we made many cored laminates. The composite was never good on impact! You would crush the core and sometimes crack the laminate skin. So I may change my search and look for a newer Catalina 310, say 2010 or newer. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Of all the reasonably current production boats, for build quality I'd say Catalina is your best bet. Your second best bet (I know I'll be ridiculed for this) would be Hunter.

If the border opens before September we'll be Bahamas bound again. Maybe we can meet on the east coast and look at boats together
Old 10-06-2020, 12:41   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor George View Post
Hi, I thinking of purchasing a 1988 Nonsuch 30 Ultra. Plan to sail it on the Peconic Bay, NY. Just looking for a good boat that I can single hand myself. I own a Mariner 36 which I sail on the San Francisco Bay in the winter. So I know how to sail just looking for a boat that easy to sail by myself. I would appreciate any comments r3garding this boat. I see a few with new engines, are the original engine a problem? Any thing I should look for about the hull or cabin top? Thanks
Have you ever hoisted the main on a Nonsuch 30? Not an easy task for anyone getting along in years. Hope you're young or have an electric winch.
Old 10-06-2020, 15:56   #9

Boatpoker, I have sailed Hunters on the SF Bay. The older models sailed better. The new ones were very light. I will probably look for a 30 to 32 ft. Catalina. I will let you know if I find something of interest. Thanks