Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2017, 22:38   #31

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: No Beam, No Do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Skinny boats have their virtues. Don't knock em till ya tried em! We have a long one down they way from me here, looks like 60-65' and fully equipped forgoing places far away. Bet it goes to weather! Bet it goes anywhere. I'll have to get a photo of it to post. Sure would like to know the make but never see the owner around.
Here it is, maybe someone knows what it is. I'll have to ask around here to find out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5977.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	443.4 KB
ID:	145424   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5979.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	443.4 KB
ID:	145425  

Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 23:39   #32

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Here it is, maybe someone knows what it is. I'll have to ask around here to find out.
why, that has Steve Dashew written all over it! No doubt at all in my mind.

Jim
Old 14-04-2017, 23:51   #33

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
No Beam, No Do?

Quote:

Sundeer or Deerfoot by Dashew.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 00:31   #34

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
I concur, & the Dashew's are definitely advocates of long & slender.

On a different note. THANKS for starting this thread, some of the posts in it have fired up that spark in my heart, towards more seriously pursuing the dream.
Including what sort(s) of boats that means for me. So many thanks for that. Well, except for the part where I have champagne taste. AKA pitfalls of a well lived sailing life

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 00:33   #35

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I could not resist: that's her back in 2010:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...22Tahia%22.JPG

Yep. Long, narrow, light and damn sexy.

I think LUX is a superb try. Maybe I will try building one in alloy.

Cheers,
b.
Sweet, sweet boat. And it looks as if her skipper is as pretty as the vessel.
Anyone care to sponsor me to sail something like this?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 06:30   #36

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post

(...)

electric propulsion

(...)
Yes. LUX is an electric HYBRID I think - a small genset driving the el motor. Doable for in-out situations but sub-optimal for extended offshore use, unless off course the whole thing is geared towards that. Think of LUX being a 50' boat with ONLY 3t displacement. Most cruising boats in this size displace 15t or thereabouts.

So, what will work for LUX locally may not be such a great idea in other modalities.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 07:59   #37

Re #36:

Yes - as many of us took pains to point out to a recent correspondent, if you need, say, 20HP (~ 15kW) to drive a hull at 80% hull speed, then you need 15kW to do so. Continuously. Given the cognitive deficiencies of electric motors, they don't care particularly where they get it from. Dumb things they are, really, with no concern for an honest sailorman's feelings or pocketbook :-)!

As we all know, you can, after having done a little math and spent more than a little money, draw 15kW from a bank of batteries. As we also all know, you can't do it for very long. Where I sail, motoring can be a day-long pleasure, so "pure" electric don't cut it. Unless you have a VERY long extension cord. But just think of the voltage drop :-)!

So it all boils down to having a continuous source of juice aboard. It isn't done that way always. After all, lots of railways use overhead catenary to supply the juice to their locos, but that really doesn't make a lot of sense since traction - the be all and end all of locos - is enhanced by the weight of an on-board generator. Besides, we are talking KILOvolts here! 25kV or more.

As we also all know, adding weight to the hull is antithetical to minimizing its resistance to motion, which is what we are after. What we don't quite know (at this point) is whether that price for doing so is worth paying. The only way to get to know is to find (or design and build) a generator that is capable of putting out 15kW continuously. I have no idea, just now, what such a beast would weigh or what its dimensions might be. Assuming that the motor it is to drive is of the brushless type we also would need a controller, sometimes called a "chopper" to take, through electronic wizzardry, the place of a mechanical commutator. Again, I have no notion at this moment about the weight or dimensions of such a device, though a picture supplied in a recent post would suggest that for a Thunderstruck 10 motor it is a pretty lumpy and possibly weighty device.

But think of the joys of having a chunk of malleable energy like that available at all times! If you don't use it for propulsion, you can use it for making water. If you don't use it for either of those, you can use it pursuant to General Electrics' advertising slogan of yesteryear to "live better electrically". Refrigeration. Ceramic top stoves. Resistance soldering. Bespoke stick welding. Drill motors with some real oomph that don't wimp out in the middle of a job. Air conditioning for those who love coconuts and bikinis. Nice dry heat for the penguins among us when our olies need drying out. MyBeloved becomes uhmm... "difficult"... if she is taken very far from modern laundry equipment. Maybe you really CAN take it with you :-)!

Many of you will know that our newish ever-so-hip Prime Minister is making cannabis legal again (did I hear a distorted echo??). Maybe I'll go get me some and get down to designing that whizz-bang generator. Let's say 8"D x 12"L and about 4 lbs ?

You gotta start somewhere, right :-)?

TP
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 08:23   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Trente,

A 15kw diesel generator is an off the shelf part. All of the big manufacturers will make one. The problem is that a 15kw generator will weigh in at about double (or more) what a 15kw primary engine will.

A Kohler 15EOZD 15kw generator weighs in at 760lbs.
The Yanmar 15.3kw marine Diesel engine weighs in at 243lbs.

You can add a smaller generator just for running the AC and a lot of fuel storage, and still keep the hull weight of the strait diesel at less than just the generator.

In has been beat to death. EP works if all you do is short trips in and out of the marina, and have a very easily driven hull. It does not work if you need substantial range under power. Where exactly that dividing line is may fluctuate a bit with the technology used, but the principle remains the same.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 08:31   #39
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

I used to own a double diagonal design by Garden that was 44' on deck, 9.5' beam, 9' draft, sailed to weather like a champ. It was a 2/3 scale of a custom boat he had built for himself in the 60's, construction foreman at Marco built two, one for himself one for the owner of Marco. Fun design, light skinny deep and very fast. Always wondered what Gardens full scale design was like to sail, never saw it. Read Chappelle for loads of lines drawings of plank on edge designs, as well as sharpies and sandbaggers which look much more like today's "modern" trends, all over a hundred years ago. I find this design interesting because plank on edge designs stand to benefit much more from modern construction methods than sharpie type designs.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 08:36   #40
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

For the record, if your gonna go hybrid drive, what's wrong with hydraulics? Had a 36' Bingham design once with a Perkins amidships and hydraulic drive at shaft head. Awesome setup, super nice when parking. Most boats want to do at least a knot at idle, especially smaller boats. Hydraulic drive lets you ignore this and do 1/4" knot if so desired without having to constantly shift back and forth between fwd and neutral. Was super reliable and robust too, much more so than an electric motor in the bilge.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 08:56   #41

Oh dear, Stumble! Did you think I wuz serious?

In true Canadian style - I apologize ;-0)!

TP
Old 15-04-2017, 08:59   #42

Quote: "super nice when parking"

So are variable, reversible pitch propellers. Don't see them much any more since we went HyTech :-)

TP
Old 15-04-2017, 10:05   #43

Boat: 1979 Endeavor 32

So when is the miniature thorium saltwater reactor going to be ready? I'm thinking the output would be perfect for a superheated saltwater jet drive. The impact on global warming should be minimal. Of course, then the fresh water inland waterways may become an issue. But we can cross that pond when we come to it.

Forgive me. It's Saturday morning. I'm having two aspirins, leftover fried tongue-in-cheek, hard boiled egg and a flotilla of crispy sugary cartoon caricatures in a bowl of rehydrated Lactaid for breakfast. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Actually, I really like this thread. As much as I love the plastic classics AND inovative designs (new or old), my actual preferences are shifting towards anything that can be single-handed and outrun the weather; and can survive the weather when it can't outrun it. That's not asking too much is it?
Old 15-04-2017, 10:35   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
Doh!
Obviously I am behind the times here!
Old 15-04-2017, 10:40   #45

Talking Re: No Beam, No Do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareKnot View Post
Actually, I really like this thread. As much as I love the plastic classics AND inovative designs (new or old), my actual preferences are shifting towards anything that can be single-handed and outrun the weather; and can survive the weather when it can't outrun it. That's not asking too much is it?
Uh-oh, sounds like you are describing a Newick trimaran! Three hulls with no beam.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37