Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2017, 22:37   #1

Boat: Långedrag steel, 1988, 40ft
Nicholson 32 known problems and weaknesses

Hi all,

I'm considering a Nicholson 32 as one option for a new boat and will look at a few next month. What are known problems and weaknesses for these? Anything special to ask the dealer or to look for when there? Also, are there production years I should avoid? And what do the different MK numbers mean (e.g. MK 8, MK II)? Any advice welcome.

I'm thinking structural integrity of hull, keel, deck, fittings etc., not engine or electrical systems, since I think I can evaluate the quality of those myself and I feel that that's somewhat independent of the boat make for boats that old.

I'll also look at other models (e.g. Dufour Arpege), but will put questions for those into another thread (with quite similar wording as this one).

Thanks in advance,
Phil
phipseml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 13:55   #2

Re: Nicholson 32 known problems and weaknesses

The Nic 32 is a strong ocean going design, naturally it will require a very good survey preferably with someone who knows the design. The original structure was very robust and these boats have sailed all over the place. Drawbacks...Not that roomy compared to more modern designs and also on the slow side..lots of wetted surface with that full keel and moderate rig size.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 02:55   #3

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

There is a blog about a couple circumnavigating on a Nic 32 (can't remember the name of the boat or the blog, but should be easy to find). He did a number of refits/modifications on the way, including reglassing the inside of the keel sump to deal with recurring osmosis in the keel. They are certainly happy with the boat and its cruising qualities. Nicholsons are known for osmosis problems though.

A simple boat like a Nic 32 should be easy to upgrade/refit and will provide a sturdy cruising platform in my opinion.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 04:08   #4

X2 on osmosis. Took two cuts on one years ago. Still soaking wet. Doubt it ever dried out properly. Phil
Phil Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 05:04   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Nicholson 32 Association ➥ Nicholson 32 Association Welcome Page
Nicholson 32 Association #2

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 18:16   #6

I fully restored a 1966 Nic 32. They are wonderful boats, but small for 32'. Very nice motion at sea with a comfort ratio of 39. If you spend some time keeping the bottom smooth they can be sailed quite well. Email me and we can talk if you like. I might want to upgrade to a larger boat. Jimt999 at verizon dot net
jimt999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 18:57   #7

Each year the Nicholson 32 was built is refered to as Mark" with mark I built in 1962, mark II in 1963 etc. Many small changes where made each year and some owner customization. Some have saloon double berths and some have a saloon pilot berth and single on the port side. In the mark X the freeboard was raised 3" making the boat 33'0" long ( earlier models where 32'9" LOA). The mark X also enlarged the cockpit and changed the port lights. There are good details on the association web pages posted earlier.
One detail that I think gets overlooked is the rudder. It is called old fashioned because the bottom is narrow where as Cape Dories have more modern rudders that are wide at the bottom to have more power. The narrow bottom rudder has a much smaller chance of damage in a grounding.
jimt999 is offline   Reply With Quote