Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 18:19   #1

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Question Newer vs Older - Seriously Torn and Need Advice

After a long 6 months or so on the market, my beloved flybridge has been sold and i'm due to complete by the end of June. The reason for the sale, as many of you will know, was that i've been converted to the wonderfull world of sail and am now in the market for resonable cruiser and live aboard.

Now, you'd think after 6 months of reading these forums and studying the market, you'd think I'd have a pretty good idea of what I want wouldn't you? However, the truth is i'm still torn, although I have narrowed it down to four basic types and would be grateful for any insights you good people may have.

For my budget, £50-60k, I know that I can afford either a relatively new (10 years old ish) 'conventional' production sloop in the 12 meter (38-40ft) range like a Hunter 380, Bene' 380/400 Oceanis, etc.

OR I've taken a fancy to older more respected brands like a Moody 376/37, Colvic Victor 40, etc.

Now, i'm sure many older 'die hard' sailors will tell me to go for the more respected older brands like Moody but I also know there isn't going to be any conclusive right or wrong answer as both types will have pros and cons. So, I'll list what I believe them to be and would like your opinions as to whether my thinking is right or wrong.

Moody 376/37,
Pros= Well respected name,
potential to be a serious blue water go anwhere boat
center cockpit gives good deck space and nice double berth rear cabin
Cons= Boats i've seen advertised date from late 80's, therefore potential for more maintainance, wear and tear, etc.

Colvic 40,
Pros= Center cockpit and deck saloon layout gives great accomodation and a very light and airy feel to the main saloon.
Second helm inside so an all weather boat.
Ketch rigged so sails easier to handle single handed and boat easier to balance.
Cons= Same as Moody, all 20+ years old.
Again, ketch rigged so potential for more to go wrong?

Hunter 380,
Pros= (IMHO) Very pretty, modern looking boat.
Not likely to have been used hard or neglected so maintainance should be at a minimum.
Wonderfull layout, nice double rear owners cabin (all be it with reduced headroom)
Cons= B&R rig, sigh, is there an answer to this? There are just as many for it as against it from what i've read.
More of a coastal vessel than a true cruiser and I would like to cross the 'pond' at some point

Bene' 380 Oceanis,
Pros= Pretty much as above although I prefer the Hunter styling
Cons= Again as above but without the B&R rig worries

So, that gives you an idea how i'm thinking, what am I right or wrong about?

Thanks guys......
Old 10-05-2011, 19:26   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Newer vs Older - Seriously Torn and Need Advice

Just my opinion but I wouldn't rule out much older boats that have had very good care and maintenance.
kind regards,
Old 10-05-2011, 21:50   #3

I agree with JohnL, older boats treated as boats usually are as good if not better than newer ones as most of the bugs have been shaken out and the money spent on the right "stuff". EG, a friend of mine with a 3 year old Benny 42S he bought new has spent at least 40K (US) upgrading his rigging, adding a water maker and a genset, plus months of time preparing his boat to cruise. I say get the boat that's going to do the job for you with the least amount of work and money. The age of the boat is irrelevant if it's been well maintained, upgraded and refitted over its lifetime.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 22:01   #4
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

I think finding the right boat is a mysterious process... Once you have done all the research, as you have, then it is just a matter of going to look at the boats. At some point I bet you will find that you step aboard a deck and just *know* that (pending surveys etc) you have stepped aboard *your* next boat. The boat will tell you ; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:15   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

I dunno what your intended use is, but I would either look for a minter older vessel - or go for the Beneteau (albeit at 10 years old that too can cover a multiple of conditions that will likely need some £££ spent. or you would just want to).

Unless you are going around Cape Horn (or the North Sea ) then a good Bimini enclosure will probably cover ( ) most circumstances where a pilot house comes into it's own.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:42   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Newer vs Older - Seriously Torn and Need Advice

Hmmm... all nice choices... but I'll go with Sarafina.. go for the boat that 'tugs the strings'.
Its your first sailboat and your in a great position to choose from a decent market..
I like Beneteaus... I've had two and they did me just fine.. short on storage space tho I thought.. but they were 4ft smaller...
I also like the Hunter.. I would not let the rig stop me from doing a crossing.. having owned Tiki's without a backstay I know its sound principle... Moody's, though a quality boat have never had that factor x that tugged at me... but I'll happily recommend them to others as a great boat...
and the same goes for the Victor...

If I were to buy a Ketch I'm a sucker for the Cheoy Lee Clippers...
they're short on everything... but ohhhh.... do they sail... and tug at the strings....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:42   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

I have had both older and newer. In general I would say newer.

But really what you have to decide on is what you want in the boat. Then find the one in the best condition for the price and get that one regardless of of the old/new.

You've done you bascis research on the topic, don't let forum posters talk you in or out of the boat you like!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:36   #8

You know, I had a feeling I would basicaly get the "get the boat you like..." responces!

That's all good though, It's nice to have the fact that my thinking is along the right track.

To clarify my use of the boat, it will be my long term home and (potentialy) long distance cruiser. Therefore, I can see that the older boats like the Colvic, etc. would fit the bill better. However, the attraction of a shiny 'new looking' boat is tugging at me as well. My head is telling me to get the Colvic and my heart is telling me to get the Hunter.

What's the betting I end up with something completely different to all of them? !
Old 11-05-2011, 11:14   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I would take them out for a spin if possible to see which one handles the way you want it to.
kind regards,
Old 11-05-2011, 11:40   #10

Boat: Bristol 38.8

A 10 year-old boat may need a refit, while a well-maintained 25 year-old boat may be in perfect condition. You have to look at each boat individually. Also, ask yourself which boat will retain its value? If you buy a 30 year-old Hinckley B-40 and maintain it, in 10 years it will be worth as much or more than you paid for it. The same will not be true for a Hunter or Beneteau, even if it is in bristol condition 10 years from now.

Speaking of the Moody 376, have you actually checked the length of the berths and the settees? Are they over 6' long? There's an awful lot crammed into 37 feet on that boat.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 13:07   #11

Two very good points Curmudgeon. My present vessel is over 30 years old and i've just sold her for more than what I paid for her 16 months ago!

I've also seen a cpl of boats before that had basicaly 'child sized' berths. People must have been smaller 30 years ago!