Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2020, 01:53   #91

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Newbies & South Pacific island tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
Yes it would be interesting to see stats on how many people have successfully been rescued from liferafts as opposed to rescued by passing ships or other vessels. And how many maritime disasters have not included the use of a liferaft (like Platino where two people were dead long before others were rescued). In my view, the standards as published should be made voluntary compliance (as said, the vast majority of us comply anyway) and then provide for powerful sanction if a boat gets in trouble and can be shown to not have complied. In other words kick the renegades in the slats, not those that show a willingness to comply.

AFAIK, CAT 1 was originally conceptualised by Yachting NZ to cover boats racing offshore and was not applied to cruising boats. And yes, when it did include cruisers I believe foreign boats were subsequently excluded because the marine industry was bleating about lost revenue. But that doesn’t legitimise the skewed situation we have. Now the industry has foreign revenue and they have their sweaty little hands in my chequebook as well. I guess that if foreign boats were told they would be charged for SAR supplied by our government, they may also go elsewhere. So the inequity remains and grows.

If you interrogate the rules of the issuing authority of the registration they will tell you that registration is valid for 5 years but the registration cert is undated and as such accepted by all and sundry, even the same customs officials in NZ that repeatedly sign his boat out and never question registration and all the officials at the assorted destinations. Go figure.

But you’re right, it is very frustrating. I have investigated registering my boat offshore but too many hooks in that. I’ve had an attorney look into the legal validity of CAT 1 with no positive (for me) result. We’re stuck with it but it doesn’t make it fair. The system sucks.

Our British Registry certificate has the expiry date printed on it. It’s valid for ten years at a time. And via Ports of Jersey the registration is likely less expensive than a single Cat 1 inspection.

SAR is a community cost and available to anyone, anywhere. And for the crews, more fun than training. Just as with land or beach SAR, if you charge the idiots that need your services soon nobody will call for help.

For the OP, have fun looking over prospects. If you’re thinking of heading offshore (Covid-19 willing this season, but more likely next season), it can be a lot easier to prepare by buying a boat that has already been cruising. Taking a marina queen or a coastal boat and upgrading systems to go offshore, especially if you need Cat 1, can be very expensive.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 15:43   #92
NNK

More good info/debate, thank you all.
Don't anyone worry about thread hijacking, I'm enjoying reading it all.

fxykty - yes, we are learning that a boat that has previously been cruising/Cat1 is likely to be the best way to go.
NNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 17:21   #93

Boat: Farr 43`

A quick read through NZ version of Cat 1 indicates 2 water tight bulkheads at least 4 mt apart are required.

I'm trying to think of a production mono hull meeting that requirement.
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 17:30   #94

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
A quick read through NZ version of Cat 1 indicates 2 water tight bulkheads at least 4 mt apart are required.

I'm actually thinking of building such a bulkhead into my ship. I could have a hatch the slides into the heads when not in use, and sits in a frame with rubber gaskets in the passageway to the v berth at sea. I'm a steel boat, but the added security would be nice. In the bilge there would only be a small amount of work needed to make it watertight, and I may have the forward bilge pump powered by an dedicated battery in a vented sealed compartment.

I also like the emergency lighting the navy uses. They have their own batteries, and are activated when the ship's power turns off. Pretty easy to build something like that myself.
Old 25-05-2020, 17:57   #95

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post

Yes, you probably won't find a mono hull that complies. I believe you're misinterpreting the rule. The rule you refer to is this:

7.6 (M) Any hull in which there is no living accommodation shall have at least two water-tight transverse bulkheads and the distance between the two transverse watertight bulkheads shall not exceed 4 metres.

This is found in the multihull rules (denoted by the (M)) and almost certainly refers to trimarans where the ammas have no accommodation and a water leak into the hull could go unnoticed and be catastrophic.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 18:09   #96

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Yes, you probably won't find a mono hull that complies
Well, our boat is not a production model, but she does have such bulkheads forward, as well as another between the accomodation and the lazarette area where the rudder and skeg are located. I kinda like that!

Jim
Old 25-05-2020, 18:23   #97

Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well, our boat is not a production model, but she does have such bulkheads forward, as well as another between the accomodation and the lazarette area where the rudder and skeg are located. I kinda like that!

Jim
Would certainly pay off if you ran into one of those containers that have gone over the side on the NSW coast!
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 02:09   #98

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
Yea, the lazarette is definitely important. The previous owners ruined the watertightness of mine, and I had to repair it. Bulkhead hosebarbs and gaskets for cables and pipes etc.
Old 08-06-2020, 16:17   #99

Boat: Beneteau Cyclades 50

GST & Duty is 20% of the cost price of your boat purchased outside of New Zealand. There is an allowance for depreciation for every full year since the purchase date.
So in our case we have had our boat for 6 years therefore the 60% of the cost price has been depreciated. So we will pay 20% GST& Duty on the remaing 40% of the original cost price.
The maximum depreciation allowed is 8 years after which you will pay 20% GST & Duty on 20% of the original boat cost.
So the longer it takes you to get back to NZ the cheaper it will be.
Caroline Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 12:29   #100
NNK

UPDATE - we saw a few yachts but the only one we felt we could live onboard for any length of time the rules suddenly changed when we were keen. That needs doing, thats not included now, etc, etc.
Put off slightly I went back to my calculator and decided the adventure could be done in a frugal launch/trawler.
I fell in love with a classic Dutch steel launch but my head won as it would have prob meant twice the asking price on top to get it up to spec.
We had an offer accepted on another steel launch (slightly more hp than I would have liked) but the cost to completely sandblast and repaint plus some other issues meant we had to pull out (painter had got to 120k NZD on estimate and that didnt include taking off/refitting all fittings).
Broken and drained (this had dragged on for over a month as owner was difficult to get hold off throughout) we decided to have a 3mth break from looking but our broker dangled a carrot......
A cat that we thought was out of our price range was being reduced.
Offer accepted, subject to survey that will be done next week.
It is a power cat so wont appeal to everyone here but we like it !
Cheers
NNK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
south pacific