Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2020, 17:58   #31

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Newbies & South Pacific island tour

There's a Bavaria 46 named Crest that's just come back on the market recently. I looked at this in detail a couple of years back, when it was for sale for 270k and they wouldn't move even 5k. It sold at full asking price, and the reason is that the owner had pretty much never used it, but planned to go on a serious cruise. He had basically given the local marine companies carte blanche to upgrade it and install everything, without much regard to cost it seems. It was stupendously well equipped and well set up.

I don't know why it's back on the market two years later, but it can't be in much worse condition than it was in 2018, and if you got it around 250k or less I'd say it would be a very comfortable boat indeed in which to spend time in the islands.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 18:07   #32
NNK

Thankyou Tillsbury, that boat is on my radar, at the far reaches of it.

I think (in my limited experience/opinion) that your pricing is about right, def sub 250k.
Presumably brokers price everything high to start with expecting lowball offers that they can negotiate up to a sensible level.
NNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 18:12   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I have 2 steel boats. As you can see many folks have a negative impression of them. That translates into lower price. Some steel boats are not good, some are very good. Both are relatively cheap. Some plastic boats are not good, some are very good. I would not rule out steelies, but I would be open to both.

We lived on our boat for a good while before casting off. That helped us get familiar with the boat and make adjustments while it was stationary. Then when we got moving we had less stuff to challange us.

When living aboard you are living in a confined space, when sailing you are sailing. These are two distinct different activities. You need to be OK with both of them. You do not need to learn both of them at the same time. By living on the boat at a marina you get to know the boat and how to fix things in an easier environment.

I very much dislike evaluating boats by length. DISPLACEMENT is a much better representation of the boats size. Our 44’er is 40,000lbs, other 44’ boats are something like 28,000lbs. We guarantee you our boat is bigger. It makes sense when you think that displacement is the size of hole you make in the water. The more displacement the bigger the hole. Heavy (slow) boats sit IN the water and have deep bilges. Some boats try to make the space by building higher, they sit more ON the water and have A higher center of gravity. Especially in center cockpits this can be a negative for people who have trouble with the motion.

We find out 44’er ample in size. It works for us. But we have a simple boat and low expectations. Now if you want hot water, water maker, AC, below decks generator, etc. then you need more volume, more displacement to carry all that stuff. I don’t like fixing it so I don’t like having it.

There is no right or wrong answer, just the answer that works for you.

Thus the suggestion of getting a smaller boat now and gaining experience is a good one. Say you start with a 12 (Or whatever) ton boat. Then you can upgrade latter. But to get a 50’er and find you can’t handle the sails is a much bigger and more expensive problem.

Hope this helps.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 18:40   #34

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNK View Post
Thankyou Tillsbury, that boat is on my radar, at the far reaches of it.

I think (in my limited experience/opinion) that your pricing is about right, def sub 250k.
Presumably brokers price everything high to start with expecting lowball offers that they can negotiate up to a sensible level.
That boat is a bit of an exception. Whereas you'd expect to pay around 220-230 for one of those of that era, if you visit the boat you'll see why it's worth significantly more. Someone will pay 250k I bet (hell, I would if I didn't already have a boat). You could spend way more than 50k adding electric everything, genset, watermaker, full awning, custom freezers, and all the other stuff to a standard boat and still be short of the installation quality that's on it.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 00:13   #35

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

There are a lot of opinions about hull material. Some of the best hulls are steel. A good barrier coat prevents rust. Don't scrimp on a good survey. Steel boats rust from the inside out.

Seems like you need someone experienced to accompany you for a while.
Read Nigel Calder on maintenance. I think his explanations are brilliant.
Almost everyone gets seasick. Then you get your sea legs. Right of passage.

Sounds like a great adventure.
Read Chapmans.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 12:54   #36
NNK

Thanks everyone, more good info/suggestions.
Seems like a friendly, knowledgeable crowd on here.

Brokers are starting to come back to us now with dates to view boats and, hopefully, we can tie those dates in with some private sellers so we are not travelling every weekend.
Old 15-05-2020, 18:59   #37

Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft

Quote:
So maintenance/cleaning time each day for a 20 yo, 50' fibreglass w/teak decks would be approx. ?
Run away from teak decks. Also in the 1980s I was told that you needed a steel yacht to be safe in the Pacific Islands. So I spent 7 years building a 40 ft. Great comfortable yacht, but slow & maintenance intensive. Now own a Lidgard cold moulded yacht and have safely cruised through many Pacific Islands. My personal view is that 50 ft is a large yacht for 2 people. The gear is large & More expensive to maintain. Also marina berths get pricey.
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 19:08   #38

Quote:
El Ping - I will look futher into registration and what being NZ reg entails. We do want to do this properly, courses, qualifications, etc so there may be no reason for us to cheat the system but ……

Dickfred - yes both items are in schedule, figuring anything boat doesn't have or that's getting old will be replaced in the 12m we are on her in NZ

JoelH - Thanks for that, handy to know about marinas. A watermaker is on my 'essential' list but I wanted confirmation from others. Plus you get a medal for agreeing with us buying a far too big boat first off !

This is all good/helpful stuff everybody, thanks for putting in the time its really appreciated.
The New Zealand cat 1 requirement for cruising yachts is a excellent way to make sure that you & your vessel are well prepared. Small things like showing the inspectors that we could set our storm jib & how were we going to steer the yacht if we lost the rudder.
Old 15-05-2020, 19:13   #39

Check this yacht out. Only issue is the teak decks. You could factor into the price of having them removed. A fantastic sailing yacht

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/b...ing/2370775733
Old 18-05-2020, 07:05   #40

This para by Ann is the best I have read here:
Get a smaller, less expensive boat and learn to sail, and learn if you and your good lady even enjoy sailing--not everyone does--then think about a cruising boat. It will be your abilities as sailors that will make it all work for you. We have friends who have circumnavigated in mongrel boats, but whose determination and skills saw them through. It is the sailing hours that count, the skills, you really only need the vessel to be "good enough", you do not need a known maintenance headache. Get some skills first, then decide whether you want to cruise. If you do, I am sure you will be able to find a suitable boat in NZ. And even then, who knows what the wold situation will be at that point?

To commit yourself to your plan with no experience is folly. Spend 20k on your first boat. The mistakes you make with her will be far less damaging, expensive and dangerous than they would be with a 50'er. When you can happily spend a month aboard a 28'er and still want more, then come back to your plan. even if you lost 50% on resale it would be just a drop in the bucket compared with the 50' mistakes you could make.
Good Luck,
M
MartinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 08:15   #41

Boat: Catalina 42 MK I

My 51' Formosa Ketch Un Mundo is in Fiji. She is an immaculate boat, owned and loved for 20 years. U.S.flagged. Would like to sell her now where she is, but otherwise will be sailing her to NZ or Australia when I can and listing her there. I'll send you a private message in case she if of any interest to you. Glass decks, watermaker, gennie, new hatches, cabin windows, port lights, solar, bow thruster, great sails, new dinghy and o.b., central air and heat, a gorgeous boat, and just now new Awlgrip sprayed hull.
In any case, best luck to you in your search.
Geoff H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 13:36   #42
NNK

Davo1404 - Thanks for your posts, I agree that NZ Cat 1 specs will mean we have to do things correctly and be capable.

MartinF - Thanks but we probably wont go that way, buy once buy right ! Covid may delay the actual purchase while we see what happens around the world but we will be doing some sailing, courses, etc.
Old 18-05-2020, 14:36   #43

NNK have you thought about a cat, it’s all one way traffic people moving to cats from monohulls. Great liveaboard room and lots of advantages, Initial cost not being one of them. If your budget allows there’s a really good one up in Opua for $399 usd. Leopard 46, great model. Just a thought.
simonhantler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 14:40   #44
NNK

Simon - Yes we have thought about a cat but its probably out of our budget at the moment. A few things going on at the moment that could change that , we shall see. Thanks for your post.
Old 18-05-2020, 14:46   #45

Staying in French Polynesia etc extended times get a good water maker, sewing machine, lots of lines,and some standing rigging repair.,and spares of everything. You'll need lots of snubbers lol but a big livable boat with room top side is very important. Get the best dingy and reliable outboard.Make sure you can have a way to get up the mast.All chain rode 300' and a real anchor...you'll need it. Bring a portable manual washing machine, laundry is $30/load haha.

Make of the boat is unimportant as long as you enjoy your condo.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
south pacific