Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2020, 17:07   #1
NNK

Newbies & South Pacific island tour

Hi all, I'm new here and will be new to yachting.
My wife and I have a cunning plan to buy a yacht, live onboard here in NZ for a year or so then disappear to the islands for 3-5 years.
I have a number of questions (I have used Search facility) and would appreciate some input (although I also realise the 'how longs a piece of string' answer could be applicable).

Size, I am convinced that we require a yacht around 50'/15m to live aboard that long. Plus we will require some crew for the trip away from NZ.

Construction, I also have in my mind that a steel hull would be good. We wont be in any hurry plus I gather they are comfortable and safe ?

I am OK at most DIY tasks incl mechanical but struggle with electrics, will that be a problem ? Boat likely to be 20 years old, obv we will get it checked before leaving but ……

How much time per day/week do you cruisers spend maintaining/cleaning ?

What is ESSENTIAL kit (for comfort not safety) on such a boat/trip ? Genset, watermaker, divorce lawyer, etc ?

That's prob too long for most already so I shall stop but would appreciate input/thoughts.
Cheers
NNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 17:19   #2

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Newbies & South Pacific island tour

Sounds like a great plan. I needed the divorce lawyer early, but as with all boat issues best to get on with fixing each problem as it occurs

Whereabouts in nz are you?

There's no good reason you should look at steel boats over others. There are few enough good boats for sale in NZ anyway. If you're going to live in it here for a while make sure you're aware of the boat's import status. Yes, something 40-50 feet is likely to be a good choice.

I'd suggest you get a good marine electrician to advise you regarding batteries and charging and the installation of those elements, but once that "hard" critical part is sorted the rest of boat electrics is pretty simple to learn.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 17:56   #3
NNK

Hi, thanks for taking the time to answer.
We split our time between HAM & AKL at present but aiming to be solely AKL based within 6-12m.
A thorough checkover/cert by a marine sparky would be a good idea, plus I would prob have batteries replaced if over 3 years old (if no genset).
Old 12-05-2020, 17:58   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@NNK:

Get yourself a copy of The Twelve Volt Doctor. It will help you through most problems you're likely to encounter. Seems like Nigel Calder has a boat electrics book, as well.

My own opinion is that buying a 50 ft steelie for one's first boat is not really a tip top concept. All our friends with steel boats have wound up with a paint brush grafted to their hands. Rust never sleeps. If you're envisioning reef problems, for goodness sake, pay attention to navigation. All the big ships on the reefs all over the So. Pacific are steel. Good piloting and navigation keep people and ships safe. Learning to read weather helps, too. See Weather for New Zealand Fisherman.

Boats maneuver differently from cars. Steelies displace more than most other builds. Their responses will be not just to wanting to keep going the direction they started in (momentum), but they will also be affected by windage and the tidal flow of waters where they are trying to go. All boats are subject to influence by water flow and wind, not just steelies. It is that it is not like driving a car, which goes where you point the wheels. The boat goes where the wind and tide want it to go, not necessarily the course you want to steer.

Get a smaller, less expensive boat and learn to sail, and learn if you and your good lady even enjoy sailing--not everyone does--then think about a cruising boat. It will be your abilities as sailors that will make it all work for you. We have friends who have circumnavigated in mongrel boats, but whose determination and skills saw them through. It is the sailing hours that count, the skills, you really only need the vessel to be "good enough", you do not need a known maintenance headache. Get some skills first, then decide whether you want to cruise. If you do, I am sure you will be able to find a suitable boat in NZ. And even then, who knows what the wold situation will be at that point?

My husband and I lived together in harmony on our 36 foot boat that we lived aboard for ~18 yrs. with no need for attorneys. I don't think anyone *needs* 50 ft. in which to be "comfortable". Yes, having more storage for what you want is convenient, but needs before wants, and you can be frugal and happy, too.

Again, just my opinion, but I don't think right now is a good time to buy a boat. Although NZ has begun to relax its restrictions, it is really the next 6 months to a year or so which will show us the future of the corona virus pandemic. It is still on the increase in many places, and nations are aware that foreign travelers can bring it to them, time and again. We don't know when/if the islands will become available to us. New Caledonia, for one, is closed. Tight.

Ann
Old 12-05-2020, 18:07   #5
NNK

Thank you Ann, much appreciated.
I/we hadn't really thought about when the islands will open for business again, it could be a while now I think about it.
A boat broker I have spoken to had similar views to yourself when I mentioned steel so I may have to take that off my wishlist.

I will track down a copy of the book(s) you mentioned.
Old 12-05-2020, 20:16   #6

Boat: Tartan T4400

The is a 54 foot Hallberg Rassy that just went on the market in New Zealand. I have no relationship with the owner except for following his blog. Google Sail Evanstar. He is on Facebook also.
Old 12-05-2020, 20:57   #7

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Well sailing starts again tomorrow, and circumnavigation of new Zealand is perfectly possible and full of entertainment. That should keep you busy enough for now. Some of the islands will be opening soon enough, at least by this time next year which is when you'd want to be going anyway.

Keep a good eye on trademe and get to know some brokers. Many if not all boat in nz go on the market at an optimistic price, and then drop significantly after something between 6 months and 2-3 years. That's the time to go looking at them. Few sellers are prepared to look at a realistic offer when their boat first goes on the market.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 21:19   #8

Boat: Volkscruiser

NNK I think it depends on what type of owner you are whe it comes to steel yachts. If you do not mind a few rust bleeds then maybe stel is for you. But generally speaking most steel yachts are starting to get old and very few of them I survey are holding there age well in comparison to fiberglass boats of the same age. I think the biggest issue is sand blasting ($500 an hour at one yard I know) and painting is so expensive and is not really a DIY option.

Another thing NNk an old steel yacht design will have about as much room as a modern 40 footer.

Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 21:52   #9

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Our understanding of Fiji borders is that they will be open somewhere in early July. We were planning our bi-annual trip leaving in a week from now, obviously curtailed by the Covid carry-on. But we have been advised that an airline ticket we had for 6th June can now be converted to 9th July, the implication being that travellers will be received by then.

But I suspect that if you’re only just planning on buying a boat now, you’re probably not going up this season?
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 21:53   #10
NNK

Thanks Gudgeon, nice but a little out of the range we are looking.

Tillsbury, thanks, I have been watching prices for a while knowing that the day would come and have seen some substantial drops.

Everything in NZ is expensive in my opinion and is another reason I cant wait to get offshore. It was a great place to raise kids (instead of London) but I'm over it now.

JPA Cate, we will make it work ! I don't care if I get sea sick every day it will be a wonderful adventure.

Fore & Aft - is that price in NZ ? Doesn't surprise me, the margin that people want/like is ridiculous, I would buy a diesel compressor and ship it to the islands if need be.

Anyway, it certainly sounds like my love/thoughts of steel are unjustified so thank you all , I shall widen my search without prejudice
Old 12-05-2020, 22:14   #11
NNK

So maintenance/cleaning time each day for a 20 yo, 50' fibreglass w/teak decks would be approx. ?
Old 12-05-2020, 22:22   #12

Boat: Volkscruiser

NNK that sand blasting price was Aussie dollars. As for teak decks, run away from them in a 20 year old vessel unless they have been recently replaced. Also teak decks work in a cold country like NZ, but in the tropics you will need to wear your favourite gumboots or Jandals when walking on them.
As for maintenance costs, it all depends on the type of owner you are and what you consider worn out.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 22:32   #13
NNK

Thanks, this is great info to help with our search.
Old 12-05-2020, 22:43   #14

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I would caution against buying a New Zealand flagged/registered boat.

I would also suggest waiting out the current crisis and then look at buying a boat already in the islands..

In the meantime buy something smaller in NZ and get a bit of local experience...

Seasickness? You will not enjoy it if you get seasick......
Old 12-05-2020, 22:51   #15
NNK

May I ask why you would avoid an NZ registered boat ?
I thought we would have to as the plan is to liveaboard here for a while.

My reasoning for the size boat straight away is that nothing sells quickly in NZ unless you give it away. Cars, bikes and (I presume) boats sit around for ages unless they are the cheapest (in my opinion).
We don't want to buy something then struggle to get rid of it without taking a massive hit when its time to go.
My understanding is boat dealers/brokers don't take trade ins and if one did I'm pretty sure they would want a huge margin for their risk.

The seasickness was humorous , I don't think either of us suffer.

Tags
south pacific