Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2020, 18:32   #61

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Newbies & South Pacific island tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNK View Post
So maintenance/cleaning time each day for a 20 yo, 50' fibreglass w/teak decks would be approx. ?

After you have broken everything on the boat at least once, you can plan on only 2 hrs per day for maintenance and cleaning. For a 20 year old 50 ft boat, a lot depends on the previous owner but on average, you can plan on 6 months of 8-10 hours per day to get it ready to go.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 20:47   #62

Hi, l was crew on a 53ft steel Bruce Roberts Ketch from Niue Island to Fiji. I have done this passage twice. The skipper built his boat and sailed through Hurricane Karina? If I were to buy a yacht, I would go for a full keel steel Bruce Roberts ketch. The only thing I did not like about my captain, is that he drank all my beer. If you need crew from Niue Island, where I live, call in? I may have a free mooring for you?
hioblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 21:58   #63

Boat: Westerly Sealord

How much time to spend looking after a boat?
Keeping her clean and tidy depends on the individual and their view of clean and tidy.
Maintaining her? If you are starting with a yacht in good order and condition.... near new standing and running rigging and near new sails plus a motor in good order.... then after a month or two at sea you should expect on arrival to spend a week or so squaring stuff away.
In port after that she will take as much of your time as you wish to give her... she shouldn't be that demanding that you can't go off land touring whenever you choose to.

On the other hand you should never be sitting on board on a rainy day feeling bored...

I can normally recommission after a long lay up in under 14 days including storing ship.
Old 21-05-2020, 00:33   #64

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNK View Post
Caroline J - Wow, that was an amazing deal, well done. And thank you for the other info, we are taking it all on.

Buzzman - thanks but, as stated earlier, thats out of our price range .
I think that's out of most people's price range for a boat from last century, even an HR. Maybe if you wait a while it'll get a lot more realistic. NZ prices...
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 02:15   #65

Boat: Ocean Spirit 34 - Catamaran

Hi NNKd welcome to a very helpfull comunity in this forum. I (also an Aucklander) am currently waiting for word from Fiji to head up there as a solo sailor in my Idylle 10.50. There is a significat flotilla of NZ boats holding their collective breaths for this day. Cat 1 is a lot of work but due to NZ global location a very important part of the prepping process. BTW even an overseas registered vessle owned by a NZ citizen needs to obtain cat1 for an offshore trip unless you have a passport matching the country of registration.
Good luck in your searching and may we meet on the water some day
Kurlie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 02:46   #66

Boat: Lightwave 45

[QUOTE=Kurlie1;3145172] BTW even an overseas registered vessle owned by a NZ citizen needs to obtain cat1 for an offshore trip unless you have a passport matching the country of registration.
QUOTE]

Is this true? And same for NZ permanent resident?

Tim
Karanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 02:47   #67

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurlie1 View Post
BTW even an overseas registered vessle owned by a NZ citizen needs to obtain cat1 for an offshore trip unless you have a passport matching the country of registration.:
Sorry, that is not correct. I have a very good friend (we cruise together frequently) who is an immigrant, is now an NZ citizen, travels on NZ passport, has his boat still registered in his country of origin but he and his boat have been in NZ for 14 years. He does not need CAT 1.

When we clear out for the islands at the same time, I have to have a CAT 1, he does not. I know this because it pi$$es me off every time.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 02:55   #68

I bought my boat as an import from the US. It was US registered. I made enquiries as I intended to sail offshore this year and was told by the cat1 inspector that I was required as a NZ passport holder that I needed cat1. Hence my comment based on the information given to me by a very experienced safety inspector. I cosequently requested US deregistration and NZ registration as requested. This time last year I sailed a Salina 48 cat up to the islands. It came into NZ as a UK registered boat. Same story.
Old 22-05-2020, 03:48   #69

I have to assume that your friend has a passport of the nation of registration as well as his NZ one
Old 22-05-2020, 12:26   #70
NNK

Although I am an NZ citizen I only travel on my UK passport.
No matter what I want to do this trip right and will be Cat 1 when leaving.
It may be overkill but it may save us too.

There are lots of things I don't agree with regarding safety (why do I need a HANS device and fireproof racesuit to do a track day in my car?) but when it comes to the sea (and my wife being onboard) I'll do it all properly.

Finally going to view first couple of yachts tomorrow - v excited (but not taking cheque book, mainly as I haven't seen it for about 10 years)
NNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 13:11   #71

Quote:
I bought my boat as an import from the US. It was US registered. I made enquiries as I intended to sail offshore this year and was told by the cat1 inspector that I was required as a NZ passport holder that I needed cat1. Hence my comment based on the information given to me by a very experienced safety inspector. I cosequently requested US deregistration and NZ registration as requested. This time last year I sailed a Salina 48 cat up to the islands. It came into NZ as a UK registered boat. Same story.
I also bought my boat in the US and went thru the whole dereg/rereg thing. Let's just say that I am not talking about innuendo and what others have told me. I'm talking personal experience on several occasions. When we sign out the customs official checks for my CAT 1 cert, my friend just includes a copy of his offshore registration cert. And no, he is no longer a passport holder of his country of origin.

Perhaps you should get the real story from the people who sign boats in and out of NZ. Gary Burton is the customs official in Opua, signs all boat, foreign and domestic, in and out of here. His telephone number is 029 602 1669. Call him and ask him.

I'm not going to spend time on a pi$$ing match. Others reading this thread can make up their own minds or do their own fact checking.
Old 22-05-2020, 13:15   #72

Boat: Outremer 55L
Newbies & South Pacific island tour

Quote:
I have to assume that your friend has a passport of the nation of registration as well as his NZ one

The only thing that matters is whether the boat is registered in NZ or not. If it is, the crew and boat are subject to Cat 1 safety inspection. If the boat is registered in any other country then no Cat 1. https://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/recre...g-overseas.asp and https://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/racing/safety-regulations The safety inspector was mistaken.

Citizenship or residence of the owner do not matter for Cat 1. They do, however, matter for importing the boat.

BTW, it’s not the GST that reduces, it’s the Custom’s value of the boat that is being reduced with every year after purchase. Hence if you buy a non-imported boat in NZ it’s better for the previous owner to import it prior to sale than for you to import after the sale. Just add the cost to the purchase price.

Registration country of a boat does not need to match the citizenship of the owner. Some registries are not closed and allow registration by non citizens and non residents. That’s why there are super yachts registered in Bimini owned by Russians.

Regarding passports, generally you have to use the passport matching the country that you are entering/departing if you have a matching citizenship. So a NZ/UK dual citizen entering NZ must do so on their NZ passport. They can use the UK passport entering any other country.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 16:35   #73

Just went through the "regulations": governing CAT 1 and copied this:

"NZ flagged ships departing New Zealand require an Inspection
Certificate to complete NZ Customs documentation requirements
prior to departure. For more information, please see Part III of these
Regulations."

@ Kurlie1: I agree with FXYKTY, your inspector is/was mistaken.

@ NNK: There is no question as to the validity of the CAT 1 standards and I personally don't know of a boat owner leaving NZ that does not comply with the broad standards, even those who don't need to do CAT 1. What I object to is every time some else fails the emergency test and kills people, we have to jump through a whole new range of hoops.

An example is the requirement of the Survival at Sea course to achieve CAT 1 which was brought about by the inability of the skipper and owner of the yacht Platino to keep the people on their boat safe. Ironically, all the people on that boat had the certification for this course and still two people were killed. But now I and many others who have many nms of passage-making under our belts without incident, have to spend time and money jumping through this new hoop.

And a foreign boat needs nothing - they can leave without ANY safety equipment on board, yes, they don't even have to have a liferaft on board let alone a certified one. And they will get exactly the same SAR response as I will, foreign vessel or no, when things go wrong.

Somewhere it has to stop.
Old 22-05-2020, 23:51   #74

I stand corrected. Wish I had this advice 6 months ago when I sold my 3.25 year old Revere liferaft because no one in NZ was autorised to service it. The beauty of this forum is that these matters can be openly discussed without animosity. Thanks all for your corrections
Old 23-05-2020, 14:02   #75

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post

Somewhere it has to stop.

What has to stop?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
south pacific