Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2020, 12:09   #1

Newbie looking for some advise.....

First let me excuse myself if posting in the wrong place, tried searching and really did not find much, maybe the way I searched, don't know, irregardless.....

My wife and I are very new to sailing I'm a gm in a medium size new & used car dealer and my wife is a RN. Our kids are grown and looking to go somewhat off grid.

Looking for a blue water monohull, used in great condition, 40 to 50 feet, give or take.

Looking for advise on better quality sailboats, brand and which model would make really good blue water cruisers, have looked at several so far, but not really sure what to look for.

Not afraid of older boats, but more concerned with good quality and good handling for a single couple.

Whatever we purchase we plan on revisiting equipment and making sure that it can operate for extended period off grid....

things like water maker and back up auto pilot system etc

please we welcome all your suggestion

racemethanol29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 16:03   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Newbie looking for some advise.....

Suggest you buy a name brand 30 footer, and get out sailing. After a year or two, you'll have a much better idea of what you want in a boat, and if you and your good lady wife loves sailing enough to commit to an open ended future on the water. If it is not fun for her, too, why would she want to? What if you don't like it? Not everybody does. Plus, you need time to build competence.

With the 30 footer, don't change anything on it for one year, then only what has to be done, you're going to move up, if you guys want to continue. The 30 footer will teach you a whole lot that will inform future choices, and it's not the large investment in terms of initial price, maintenance, insurance, and berth rental that a larger boat would be. NB: the more complicated a boat is, the more difficult is its maintenance, partly because so much is crammed in into tiny spaces.

Ann

Old 23-06-2020, 16:27   #3

Thank you, already boaters, just not sail boaters, we have a large cabin cruiser we spend a lot of time on currently, looking to make the transition to sail, some experience but limited

Looking for recommendations brand and models etc

Ty

Luke
Old 23-06-2020, 16:47   #4

Boat: Norman Cross 38' Ketch

Check out Project Atticus, Sailing Uma, White Spot Pirates,free range sailing, Sailing millennial Falcon on youtube.. They all manage quite well on older, smaller boats.. There is a ton of options out there, and just as many opinions... I am not an expert in regards to your questions, but I will say the Parday method of go small, and go now has a lot of merit. (P.S. read "As long as it's fun" and "Sailing Serafin")

I personally just bought a Norman Cross 38 Tri, that needs a bunch of work, I have 4 kids though, so, our needs as far as size is different than yours. Everything is less expensive, and easier to handle the smaller you go. Which transfers to more time cruising, and less time funding.

I have a two threads going on here that you are welcome to follow and ask questions on. We are posting daily videos of our progress with "Ameris" on youtube if it interests you. Videos are crudely edited, but it's just for fun anyway. :-)

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ns-234745.html

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ad-235071.html

Feel free to chime in on either one of those threads with your questions, there are some brilliant people that have been contributing there. Good luck with your dream.

Cheers,

James
Sv Ameris

p.s. this is a good post on your questions.

https://www.cruisingworld.com/10-boats-under-50-grand/
DreamBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 17:25   #5

Thank you, we have been watching many of them, almost binge watching, lol
Luke
Old 23-06-2020, 17:33   #6

We really want the feeling of sailing, reason for a monohull versus a cat, etc
Luke
Old 23-06-2020, 18:47   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by racemethanol29 View Post
We really want the feeling of sailing, reason for a monohull versus a cat, etc
Luke
Many long discussions previously debating all the many issues of monohulls vs cats. Quick use of the search function will lead you a few hours worth of study.

Regarding recommendations, depends on the budget. Like cars, you can buy a Ferrari or a Corvette. Both will give a similar result but for a huge difference in price.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2020, 08:11   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by racemethanol29 View Post
Looking for advise on better quality sailboats, brand and which model would make really good blue water cruisers, have looked at several so far, but not really sure what to look for.
One other comment, the term blue water is used rather loosely and can have very different meanings to different boaters. Might be better to describe where you want to cruise?

Some people call Florida to the Bahamas bluewater and want a boat built like a tank. Others call Maine to the Caribbean coastal and are fine with most any production boat.

The other big question is again budget. You can go for the high end, essentially hand crafted boats with a cost to match. Or you can go for a boat that is just as safe and sturdy that isn't a hand made work of art but still good enough to take you anywhere for a fraction of the price.

The list of either would be extensive and of course subject to the opinions and preferences of the individual making the list.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2020, 11:07   #9

I think that we've all been through questions like that. Several years ago as we transitioned from a classic old wooden ketch (42 feet and beautiful) to a plastic boat, we asked the same questions. I was advised to find a boat popular in the area that we wanted to sail. A Catalina was suggested. We ended up with a Cat 36, loved the boat for years. So....where will your sailing grounds be and what boats are popular there? Then talk to some owners and inspect some for sale and go from there.
Exctyengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2020, 11:16   #10

Boat: B27

Scroll down for examples of good Blue Water Boats.

Mahina Expeditions - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising

Bluewaterboats.org - Sailboat reviews for offshore sailing
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2020, 11:46   #11

Boat: Tartan 3000

I have a 30 ft sailboat for 5 years. Had my eye on a 42 ft boat by the same manufacturer. Very glad I didn't move up as 90% is solo sailing.

IMO buy the boat most liveable. Time on the so called blue water will in most cases be minimal to none.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2020, 12:29   #12

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

I think the key is to get a better idea of what you want to do. a 'blue water mono' is a very general idea and can only get general a vague advice. What would be an ideal boat for high latitudes cruising around Norway and the Baltic is totally different to what would be good in the Caribbean or for a round the world trip. Narrow down what you plan to do, turn that into a priority list for what the boat needs to be capable of and you will be well on the way to a shortlist of boats to look at. Basically don't look for a 'good' boat look for the right one for your planned voyaging.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2020, 13:47   #13

Island Packet.

You can stop shopping now.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2020, 15:01   #14

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Suggest you buy a name brand 30 footer, and get out sailing. After a year or two, you'll have a much better idea of what you want in a boat, and if you and your good lady wife loves sailing enough to commit to an open ended future on the water. If it is not fun for her, too, why would she want to? What if you don't like it? Not everybody does. Plus, you need time to build competence.

With the 30 footer, don't change anything on it for one year, then only what has to be done, you're going to move up, if you guys want to continue. The 30 footer will teach you a whole lot that will inform future choices, and it's not the large investment in terms of initial price, maintenance, insurance, and berth rental that a larger boat would be. NB: the more complicated a boat is, the more difficult is its maintenance, partly because so much is crammed in into tiny spaces.

Ann
I think this is really sound advice. You, no one, can really know what you want until you are out there for a bit. Then you get what you can afford. And all that time looking, anticipating and dreaming will be a lot of fun and good experience.

Jim SV GAIA
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2020, 15:16   #15

all great info, thank you

so far we have looked at several Beneteau 46, Hunter 45cc and Hunter 466, both my wife and I really like the 45cc and we think we prefer center cockpit

primarily will be sailing, USA east coast in the beginning, Key West and the Caribbean, and at some point we plan on venturing much further out......

Luke