Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 00:22   #1

Newbie looking at a Jeanneau 53

Hi all,

I'm 50 yrs old and semi-retired. I used to sail bobbie cats during my younger years and scuba dive. Now I like sports cars and more recently I was smitten by a weekend I spent on a friends Lagoon 450.

I've always dreamt about a large sail boat but never could afford one. I also need air-conditioning since I live in Asia where temps are usually 33 deg C. I also foresee inviting a few guests so I thought a minimum of 3 cabins with double beds would be a minimum. I also want her easy to sail if shorthanded. I also like a Beneteau Sense 50 but found out that the Jeanneau has a bigger inner space probably due to the fact that they have a higher helm/cockpit hence they are able to utilize that space beneath.

I also want her big and luxurious enough for me and my family to stay in even when docked.

Aside from a Jeanneau I also am considering a Bavaria 55 and Hanse 54.5

I've also discovered used Oceanis and Sun Odysea's going for a bargain.

However, I want to make this a one time purchase. It would be real hard to unwind my first purchase to upgrade later on hence my inclination to buy a new Jeanneau 53. But am I wrong? Is the quality of the boats that are 4 to 6 years old pretty good? I also am worried of parts breaking down.

But of course it all boils down to the wallet. Admittedly, a used one would be an easier purchase ($200 to 300K) vs a new one at $575K. If it's a new one, I would have to wait a bit longer and restructure my current assets.

Thanks all,

Pete
carbonpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:33   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
Re: Newbie looking at a Jeanneau 53

Welcome aboard, Pete. There's several benefits to boats with a few years on them...they are often outfitted with expensive cruising stuff that would cost $1000s, the "kinks" have been worked out, and the huge first-year depreciation is discounted. Always get a complete survey to make sure it's not a "problem boat." Good luck with your search, and happy sailing!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 21:24   #3

Re: Newbie looking at a Jeanneau 53

Hi Pete I have just bought a Sun Odyssey 52.2 and I love it its a 2002 boat and if you look at the new ones they all have gone plastic.

She has just come from Thailand to HK and I recomend a boat of this age as long as it has been looked after. Also please consider the bits you will need mine is fully loaded for cruising and comfort aboard. you have to put 25% on the purchase price to rerally kit your boat out properly so maybe worth considering these points.
Ian
Ianriley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeanneau