Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2020, 22:08   #46

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse
Re: New Zealand to Newfoundland.. sail it or ship it?

Reading this made me luagh .

In January , I purchased a 50' french, ally, lifting keel, shallow draft expedition type boat lying in NZ. It all happened over email while I was sailing in Antarctica and South Georgia. I'd never seen the boat ( though I had several people who i know and trust look at it and paid someone to represent me). I had been looking for one of these specific boats for 2 years. In those two years id spent. a lot of time traveling to places like Annapolis and Croatia. That gets expensive quickly. when you know what you are looking for and its a hard to boat find it doesn't really matter where it is if it is priced right and in good condition.

To be honest shipping and delivery on that boast will be pretty similar.

Shipping to FL via one of the yacht carries and then devliery up the east coast.

Depending on the time of year, its hard to call east or westabout on the delivery. easily 5 bucks a mile plus expenses. Its a wash.

LD
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:50   #47

Boat: Havsfidra 20

Toss out any practical and financial considerations if you can! Sailing it back is the adventure of a lifetime! When are you going to get an opportunity like that? Maybe you are planning a great sailing adventure later with the boat, but sometimes "later" never happens. If you have the time to go half-way around the world now, personally, I would do it! I just bought my boat in Spain and sailed it back to France. It only took nine days but I will remember that trip for the rest of my life. What are you going to remember of the time you were waiting for your boat from the shipping company?

Gil.
gilgsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:02   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgsn View Post
Toss out any practical and financial considerations if you can! Sailing it back is the adventure of a lifetime... What are you going to remember of the time you were waiting for your boat from the shipping company?
ABSOLUTELY! The truth is that "life happens" and it's not always practical to take time off work for a long delivery. However, that being said, I would rather take a 6-12 month leave-of-absence and spend that $85,000 on cruising and paying for living expenses, rather than give it to COSCO.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 11:07   #49

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamadriver View Post
Reading this made me luagh .

In January , I purchased a 50' french, ally, lifting keel, shallow draft expedition type boat lying in NZ. It all happened over email while I was sailing in Antarctica and South Georgia. I'd never seen the boat ( though I had several people who i know and trust look at it and paid someone to represent me). I had been looking for one of these specific boats for 2 years. In those two years id spent. a lot of time traveling to places like Annapolis and Croatia. That gets expensive quickly. when you know what you are looking for and its a hard to boat find it doesn't really matter where it is if it is priced right and in good condition.

To be honest shipping and delivery on that boast will be pretty similar.

Shipping to FL via one of the yacht carries and then devliery up the east coast.

Depending on the time of year, its hard to call east or westabout on the delivery. easily 5 bucks a mile plus expenses. Its a wash.

LD
Similar experience here. After a year of search in the US and Europe for HR/Contest/Hylas/Oyster/Swan/Najad/Moody, there was an opportunity in the Caribbean.

Seven Seas has a good ocean freight service from Martinique to Florida but finally chose to sail with friends crew and it was a great voyage during January-April 2020 with a long stop in Sint Maarten and few days in the other islands.

It is mainly a matter of time and crew. If you can spare the time plus any (expected and unexpected) delays and a really good crew, it is not to be missed life experience. Personally, have no interest in longer ocean cruising or live aboard and this experience was great in having just enough of both.

Tags
New Zealand, newfoundland, sail