Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2011, 19:56   #1

New (to Us) Used Beneteau321

My first Monohull is a beautiful 1998 Beneteau 321 Oceanis and I am looking for a experienced 321 sailor to exchange sailoing information with. I am originally a multihull sailor and have sailed many Multihulls but when the day was over I went back to my F-27 Trimaran. I have purchased this as our first somewhat live aboard and my wife is the best 1st mate that one could ask for (she is also an excellant helms person). What I do have new is not only a mono hull but two thats right Two 2yr old Maltese and they have not been on a boat yet any help you can give would be great about what to expect from my two little girls would be appreciated.
I want to use the next year as a training time for us all and then put into the river at Tulsa, OK and go south.
My main questions is the loose footed main that is also a vertical reefing main. I am used to Flat and Tight and I don't think that this is designed for that at least from what i have heard and read in some of the posts.
My email is jimsmith618 <at> cox <dot> net if you want to email me direct to have some in depth discussions.
thanks
anadale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 06:45   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
Re: New (to Us) Used Beneteau321

I think it will be better to post it on monohull forum...
Bene 321 is monohulled for sure...
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 07:36   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Agreed, post moved to mono hulls.

First off, the French don't make slow boats. So whilst you might be going slower than in your F27, in monohull terms if you keep it light I am sure you won't be disappointed. Indeed very nice yachts and we did seriously look a one before choosing the Moody, price being the main reason.

I take it that you have a masthead rig, if so the Genoa provides the real drive and the main a little bit extra. What you have though is "ease of use" over ultimate sail area and if you are concentrating on other things or just chilling out then the inmast reefing works well. Notice that with boom angle and the outhaul you can adjust the sail shape if you want to play with the ropes and no baggy sail foot to worry about.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 07:50   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New (to Us) Used Beneteau321

Lets put it this way... I had the '87 model 321...
I sailed it from St Martin, FWI to the UK in 47days non-stop... average SOG was something like 95miles/day... and when you take into account 8 of those were calm and I was double reefed main most of the time.. they're not slow and they can take on voyages... the roller furl main was not standard... if its outside its probably an add on to try and avoid going to the mast to reef...
Ok for general cruising but not as efficient to windward...
Nope.. you made a good choice there...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 11:36   #5

Hey thanks for the response. How are yor pugs taking to teh sailing life and how hard was it to break them to the deck?
We take delivery in abotut 6 weeks and can't wait to get her wet (the baot of course). I am going through a complete retrofit with electronics, steering, bottom and some facial fixes like all new graphics with a name change. I really like the size with a 4'6" depth fin with a bulb at the bottom. Oh! also put on New Air & heat with a 3 bladed folding gear prop. Spending a little money but bought the boat real aright and still below blue book.
Old 15-03-2011, 11:56   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Pugs are fine on board and if they need to go do it on the side deck, without any real training from us. However, Inky our black pug is thick so has to be watched. She fell down the fore hatch which was open thankfully landing on a folded up duvet. All we saw was this black thing drop through the hatch, straighten herself our and carry on.

Ideally you might want to think about that netting stuff you see on yachts with kids to stop them going over the side. Angus our 40kg Labradoodle is fine he just leans against the guard wires but Inky would go straight underneath. At sea they have the leads clipped to the boat line a life line. Both love the water and can't wait to get in the dinghy to go somewhere, its a real adventure for them.

Pete
Old 16-03-2011, 17:19   #7

Pete
Your pups seem to have adjusted to the environment pretty well how old did you say they were? I have thought about getting the netting but haven't been able to find it. I have seen it on a couple Beneteau's that we had looked at prior to this one but I've not been able to locate a source so if you know of one please let me know. I have also seen a solid pieces of canvas just in the cockpit area which could work. How long have you lived aboard your boat and where did you say you were now?
Old 16-03-2011, 17:22   #8

Boatman are you still on? Where are yo located? Waht do you think about teh furlig main? My oceanis has a grove in the mast for a battened sail if I should want to convert. However, I don't know if it would be worth the work and money.
Anadale1
Old 16-03-2011, 17:49   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New (to Us) Used Beneteau321

Try her out with the furling main for a while... see if you like it...
not having to go to the mast can be very nice....
and reefed down I can't see it being any less efficient than the slab system...
in fact probably better...
If you decide to convert back to the slides thats easy... buy some slides and sew them to the luff.... cost about $10 plus the sewing needles and palm...
Opppsss... forgot the reef points... cancel above... sail maker time...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 16:03   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anadale1 View Post
Boatman are you still on? Where are yo located? Waht do you think about the furlig main? My oceanis has a grove in the mast for a battened sail if I should want to convert. However, I don't know if it would be worth the work and money.
Anadale1
Anadale, So have you picked up the yacht yet? I suspect that the groove in the mast is for a trysail rather than a slab reefed main sail. We have one but the track is quite small and would probably only take a 5mm bolt rope.

Pete
Old 20-06-2011, 15:43   #11

YesBut, having trouble with riggin it the standing rig without tensioning spec's. and with rigging the fulling line for he mas withnothing to go by can you help?
Old 20-06-2011, 15:45   #12

Havnigntrouble rigging the standing rigging wihtout any tensioning spec's my book said to go to page 57 and that is my stove. I also can quite figure out how to rig the furling main haul out line.

Tags
beneteau