Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2015, 08:36   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 18 ft avon
New to me Columbia 34 Mk 2

1 year ago I started a paper organization called go-sail.org which is a 501(3)(c) that will give sailing/cruising lessons, ownership opportunities, and sailing opportunities to kids/youth/challenged individuals.

Since that time I have had the opportunity of having boats donated to this organization. My first was a 1966 Coronado 25 that I picked up back in October of lake union in Seattle. Turned down the next 4 donations, but then got this Columbia 34 down in San Francisco. Stopped all activities on the Coronado, and put it up for sale on craigslist and hoping it will sell soon.

Now comes the adventure. Considered trailering and shipping this boat from San Francisco to Portland, OR but now thinking I will just deliver it up the coast. Before you slam me with comments, I have over 35 years of marine experience including offshore racing, multiple deliveries, commercial fishing in Alaska, and currently working on my 100 ton USCG masters license with sailing & towing endorsement.

The boat sits up the Sacramento river and she has new keel bolts & main sail. New westerbeke 27 diesel was installed 10 years ago and its has 20 hours on it, with an oil change 5 years ago. It appears to be in pretty good shape for a boat of this year. I have read up on the issues with the Mark 2's, and I am a pretty good study of boats in general.

Feb 19th I am planning on flying down to the bay area. Going to spend that day going through the boat and checking everything, including onboard systems, standing and running rigging, diesel, through hulls, steering and rudder post. Friday the 20th going to see about motoring her over to St. Francis for a couple days while I take my US Regional Certification for PRO. Then at the end of the weekend going to motor it over to treasure island, and it anchor it up in clipper bay. She has bruce anchor with all chain, on a windlass. Then fly back to PDX and wait till later in March to come down and hopefully deliver her up the coast with a crew. I figure 7 days and 100 gallons of diesel and she will be in Portland, OR.

I race on a J-122 here in Portland, and I can get a good life raft which I will bring with me. I own a good GPS and the route is already created with places to duck into shore with no stint larger than 125 miles. Jack lines will be rigged, we will all were life jackets and harnesses, good hand held, and a good flare kit.

Any comments on the following:

- 10 year old westerbeke 27 with 20 hrs on it, oil change 5 years ago, do you think I need to change the oil?

- How about the anchoring? My plan was to just anchor with the bruce, lash everything down on the deck, then see about catching a ride to shore from somebody to catch a flight back to PDX. Worse comes to worse will take the dingy and lock it to a tree on shore. Should I consider putting an extra anchor on the chain, I do have a nice Danforth with mushroom that I could use.

- Am I crazy

MC2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 13:33   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: New to me Columbia 34 Mk 2

Quote:
- Am I crazy
Crazy? Likely not, Foolish? Well, yes...

Dunno where to start... but goodness, a whole day to check out an aged boat that has been sitting that long, then to leave it untended at anchor, on an unfamiliar anchor in an unfamiliar, crowded anchorage (that has rules re permits, etc) for an unspecified period, then to set out on a passage up a notorious coastline in early spring, apparently expecting to motor the whole way using an engine that has not run in five years...

What could possibly go wrong???

Well, on second thought... yes, crazy!

Jim
Old 17-01-2015, 13:38   #3
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Crazy? Likely not, Foolish? Well, yes...

Dunno where to start... but goodness, a whole day to check out an aged boat that has been sitting that long, then to leave it untended at anchor, on an unfamiliar anchor in an unfamiliar, crowded anchorage (that has rules re permits, etc) for an unspecified period, then to set out on a passage up a notorious coastline in early spring, apparently expecting to motor the whole way using an engine that has not run in five years...

What could possibly go wrong???

Well, on second thought... yes, crazy!

Jim
Didn't answer any of my two questions. I will be on the boat for 4 or 5 days, that should be enough time to go through everything, the first day is just the basics. I have delivered worse trust me .......

Bringing a 35 lb CQR with me, and will pick up a bunch of chain before trying to anchor
Old 17-01-2015, 14:52   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

OK, here is my answer to your two questions:

YEs, you need to change the oil, and the oil filter, and the fuel filter(s) (after running a while), the belts, the impeller for the RWP, check hoses for stiffness, take fuel sample and check for water or other fouling, ensure that seacocks all function, especially those required for changing impeller.

Anchoring: It has been a long time since I anchored in Clipper cove, but IIRC the holding is variable, depending on exact location. I would be quite wary of leaving a boat untended at anchor there, especially an unfamiliar one. The practice of using two anchors in tandem on a single rode has proponents as well as detractors. If you can't dive the anchors after setting it is difficult to determine whether they are fouled... something that can occur with that setup. If you use two anchors on separate rodes and then leave the boat for a longish time, it is very likely that the two rodes will foul each other. Further, all the other boats that crowd the anchorage will be lying to a single anchor, and thus swinging differently than yours. This can lead to collisions, and with you not there to defend your position (physically and legally) you will come out second best. Leads me to ask if the boat will be insured? If not, are you prepared to meet any liability consequences. If so, is your insurer aware of your intention to abandon the boat at anchor? I bet not, for most policies forbid that practice.

I've been gone from SF for a very long while, but I believe that that anchorage has time limits now, and requires permits to use for more than short periods. This is at odds with your proposal.

A final comment: You say that you are a very experienced delivery skipper. OK, then why are you asking very basic questions like "should I change the oil"? Certainly raised some concern on my part, for as I have tried to point out, there are a lot of flaws in your planning IMO.

Jim
Old 17-01-2015, 14:57   #5

Boat: 1995 Catalina 36 MkII

Can't comment on the sail but the boat at least in pics appears clean and well put together for its age. I can see why you are contemplating making the journey. That boat would work well for the org you have started as well. Just wish something similar but closer to PDX would land in your lap... Still your resume is extensive. No doubt more experienced west coast sailors will be of more help here soon.
rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 15:01   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
OK, here is my answer to your two questions:

YEs, you need to change the oil, and the oil filter, and the fuel filter(s) (after running a while), the belts, the impeller for the RWP, check hoses for stiffness, take fuel sample and check for water or other fouling, ensure that seacocks all function, especially those required for changing impeller.

Anchoring: It has been a long time since I anchored in Clipper cove, but IIRC the holding is variable, depending on exact location. I would be quite wary of leaving a boat untended at anchor there, especially an unfamiliar one. The practice of using two anchors in tandem on a single rode has proponents as well as detractors. If you can't dive the anchors after setting it is difficult to determine whether they are fouled... something that can occur with that setup. If you use two anchors on separate rodes and then leave the boat for a longish time, it is very likely that the two rodes will foul each other. Further, all the other boats that crowd the anchorage will be lying to a single anchor, and thus swinging differently than yours. This can lead to collisions, and with you not there to defend your position (physically and legally) you will come out second best. Leads me to ask if the boat will be insured? If not, are you prepared to meet any liability consequences. If so, is your insurer aware of your intention to abandon the boat at anchor? I bet not, for most policies forbid that practice.

I've been gone from SF for a very long while, but I believe that that anchorage has time limits now, and requires permits to use for more than short periods. This is at odds with your proposal.

A final comment: You say that you are a very experienced delivery skipper. OK, then why are you asking very basic questions like "should I change the oil"? Certainly raised some concern on my part, for as I have tried to point out, there are a lot of flaws in your planning IMO.

Jim
Clipper Cove has a 21 day permit. I have done a lot of deliveries and sailboat racing up and down the coast, but I must admit most have been nice race boats, or the owner has taken care of things for me. Thanks for the answer on the diesel I am prepared for that for my trip in February. Since posting this I have asked about anchoring in clipper cove, my buddy down there says its fine and not very populated right now. They have cleared out the rift raft with permit process. I am bringing a 35 lb CQR anchor in my luggage (40 foot boat) and will be using that to anchor it.

During my trip in February for my Regional Sailing certification I will spend 6 nights on the boat, and motored it a total of 60 miles testing everything I can before our trip in March.
Old 18-01-2015, 18:58   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Everything Jim Cate posted.

Give the fuel tank extra attention. Best to drain it and have it professionally cleaned. Unless there is good top of tank access you won't know how much crud is in it. Most engines run well when the boat is still. Bouncing around a bit will stir up the crud and you could well be changing filters every mile.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 19:13   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Everything Jim Cate posted.

Give the fuel tank extra attention. Best to drain it and have it professionally cleaned. Unless there is good top of tank access you won't know how much crud is in it. Most engines run well when the boat is still. Bouncing around a bit will stir up the crud and you could well be changing filters every mile.
Thanks for you comments and it is dually noted. I am going to motor it about 80 miles in February for the shakedown so hoping that tank will slosh around a bunch to identify any problems. The owner has kept it topped off and added stabilizers often, and there are extra filters on board.

Its coming together. I just talked with a good friend of mine who is a training bar pilot in san Francisco, he said to anchor it close to his boat in Richardson bay and he will keep an eye on it for me.
Old 18-01-2015, 19:42   #9

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

.The "Bubble Tops" were built strong, lotta head room which is good as long as you are at least 6' or you can't see outside,good storage. Good layout in cabin. Unless there have been modifications, with the V-drive engine, access is limited to under the companion way. Very limited working room next to the sides of engine.

Listen to Jim Cate..his advice is spot on...

Life is good if you Keepa Smilin ...😀

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 10:11   #10

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

+1 on listening to Jim... he might sound grumpy, but he's usually spot on. I'd hire someone to do fuel scrubbing... I wouldn't rely on sloshing around, but then I helped deliver a boat where we were towed into San Diego because of bad fuel we got in Ensenada. Why not get her lifted into a yard and fully examined? Maybe even leave her on the hard for that month and perform the critical repairs that you will undoubtedly do anyway. I'm pretty much a rookie, but I spent four months in Astoria fiddling with Sedna before bringing her up river...

On your way home, Astoria has a nice yard for DIY also. I'm sure there is a good DIY yard in Portland, but I haven't found it.

On the 501C note, I applaud the idea of introducing people to sailing. I've volunteered with ERA - Educational Recreational Adventures - Portland, Oregon I'm sure Jeff would be happy to share his knowledge re: outdoor education and running a nonprofit.

Good Luck.
Old 19-01-2015, 13:53   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

mackconsult,

The sea state in the Pacific will be larger than the waves in the bay, so your shakeup attempt for the fuel done in the bay may not reveal adequately the state of grunge in the bottom of the tanks. It would be prudent to take a whole bunch of filters with you when you leave. A whole box full.

Due to the commercial fishing and cargo shipping, it would be well to have at least one other pair of eyes aboard.

Finally, I'd suggest examination of the water tanks. Another skipper on this forum found water contaminated, and he and the crew became ill from it. At the very least, empty and re-fill with fresh. Or, if you're interested, send weavis a PM: he wrote a very thorough explanation of how to get rid of bacterial contamination in one's fresh water system.

Ann
Old 22-01-2015, 10:49   #12
Marine Service Provider

Traveling only a daylight in the shakedown. Yes I will have tons of filters. We are bringing bottled water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
mackconsult,

The sea state in the Pacific will be larger than the waves in the bay, so your shakeup attempt for the fuel done in the bay may not reveal adequately the state of grunge in the bottom of the tanks. It would be prudent to take a whole bunch of filters with you when you leave. A whole box full.

Due to the commercial fishing and cargo shipping, it would be well to have at least one other pair of eyes aboard.

Finally, I'd suggest examination of the water tanks. Another skipper on this forum found water contaminated, and he and the crew became ill from it. At the very least, empty and re-fill with fresh. Or, if you're interested, send weavis a PM: he wrote a very thorough explanation of how to get rid of bacterial contamination in one's fresh water system.

Ann
Old 22-01-2015, 10:59   #13
Marine Service Provider

Tickets are booked and title is in hand. I am flying down to Oakland with a 35 lb CQR anchor in one of my bags. Will spend the afternoon of the 18th changing the engine oil and filter. Then will make sure I am prepared to change a fuel filter, and Thursday morning start making my way down the Sacramento river. Friday I will cross the bay, and spend the weekend at St. Francis. My uncle bill the commercial fisherman who spawned my marine skills will come meat me and look at the boat. Sunday afternoon will motor over to Sausalito and anchor the boat up with the 35 lb CQR and full chain rode. I have good friend who just bought a sailboat and lives on right there in Sausalito. He told me to anchor it just off his place and he will keep an eye on it for me, even board it every now and then to check on it and make sure the transients see him on board.

The plan is coming together nicely. I am doing work for RBS battens right now and so they will set me up with battens to get the new full batten main all set up. Sailing anarchy is going to do a spot on us when we get back to Portland.
Old 22-01-2015, 12:08   #14

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Best of Luck to you. . . If you end up in Tomahawk Bay look me up @ H24
Old 22-01-2015, 12:15   #15
Marine Service Provider

I will keep an eye out for yah. If you see me .... flag me down and say Hi.

You won't be able to miss the boat.

To begin with the boat will be hopefully moored up at Mark's Marine service in support of the project I am working on. http://www.eco-auger.com/. Then I am not sure where it will end up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
Best of Luck to you. . . If you end up in Tomahawk Bay look me up @ H24

Tags
columbia