Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2018, 20:27   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
New to me Catalina 30

I just took possession of a 1977 Catalina 30. I can sum up my boating experience as 92 -95 I had a jetski, 2012 - 2018 a 14' kayak. I have about 2 hours experience on a Sunfish, and about the same on a Flying Scot. I might be stretching things a bit to call myself a sailor.

I need to re-bed the portlights, and there is some rotted wood due to the leaking port lights. I am no at all concerned about the woodwork since I do build furniture. But I have read some posts about compression being an issue with the mast. What the hell is that?

The boat has an atomic 4. I am regretting selling my dwell meter and timing light 8 months ago. Am I screwed on finding those tools again? Is there a solution to points for the Atomic 4?

The steering wheel is smack in the middle of the cockpit and the traveler is aft. All of the pictures that I have seen online are aft steering and traveler is on the cabin top. Did I get a Frankenstein?

I have restored 3 classic cars and 2 old houses, so I am not a refurb newb.

looking at the electrical system this weekend. Where the heck is the ground on a boat?

Arrgg,did I screw up getting a free boat?
Uturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 20:48   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: New to me Catalina 30

The placement of the wheel and mainsheet traveler seem to be a big plus to me. You should be able to trim the main from the wheel.

Used the Catalina kit to rebel my ports. It's a two person job to get the plexiglass in the frame but pretty straight forward following their instructions.

Compression issues with a mast usually involve rotted wood at the keel where the mast support rests if the mast is deck stepped. Also sometimes rot in the mast step in the deck if water gets in as it's undoubtedly stiffened using plywood. Don't own a C30 so not familiar with how the mast is stepped.

Think I've still got my timing light somewhere if you need one. Moyer marine are the go to people for everything Atomic 4. They sell everything including electronic ignition and whole rebuilt engines for the old lump. https://moyermarine.com

Seem to remember there is an issue with the keel on C30s but don't remember the details. An owner will undoubtedly pipe in as there were a ton of them built.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 21:54   #3

Would suggest buying a copy of Don Casey’s excellent book - This Old Boat. https://www.amazon.com/This-Old-Boat...=this+old+boat

Good luck with the refit!
shaunno71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 03:07   #4

One thing to note .
On the cat 30 the leaking windows may not actually be the windows . On the c30 it could potentially be a deck fitting or 2 that leaks and the water runs inside the hollow core and manifests it’s self by looking like a window leaking .
Check your keel bolts too plus make sure you’ve no Catalina smile too.
woodyapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 03:44   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and belated welcome aboard the CF, Uturn.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/catalina-30

https://www.practical-sailor.com/rev...30-1151-1.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 10:45   #6

They made more than 6,200 Catalina 30s.

There is an information-filled C30 website, International Catalina 30 Association. It has tons of information, but not much new activity. There is also a relatively new Catalina 30 WIKI. Google for it.
A4 info: www.moyermarine.com

While it is nice to see you here, those resources will give you more than enough info to answer all your questions.

Welcome aboard.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 11:25   #7

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard Uturn! I doubt you screwed up. There are a million Catalinas out there and most are still sailing. (that means there is plenty of spare parts, replacement parts and free advice!) As far as the mainsheet being behind the wheel, not a problem at all IMO. I'd prefer that, if she were mine. I can go into the why of that later when you get familiar with sailing her, but it is not a Frankenstein, it is the way they first came out. The post that is under the mast takes the compression force the mast exerts downward. If there is some rot at the bottom, where in rests on the hull, the mast may have pushed down on the cabin top and cracked it. Take some pictures of it. Do a search here and you'll find quite a few threads here about Cat 30 issues to help you too. And BTW, even buyers who get a well-surveyed boat go through a period of "oh-my-God-what-have-I-done?" so welcome to the club!!
If you are used to building furniture, you may already have many of the tools and much of the skills to take care of the issues that may come up.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 12:27   #8

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Hi Uturn,

Welcome to the rather large club of Catalina 30 owners! I've had mine almost 7 years, hull #825, just a bit newer than yours. The steering and sheeting were optional for at least the first several years, mine is end-boom sheeted, but with tiller steering, which was probably more common with the end-boom.

On the International Catalina 30 Association site mentioned above, check out the technical library, they have the original factory parts catalog: C30 Parts Manual
Resealing/bedding the portlights is a two person job, I've done it and my first attempt flying solo was a big mess. They are glass, however, not plexi as stated above.

As to the mast, the post at the end of the bulkhead between the salon and head is the compression post, but there's apparently also a block that was glassed in below the post and transfers the load to the keel, made of white oak. While it's possible for that to rot, I don't believe that's common. The "smile" was a common issue.
On the A4, as mentioned, Moyer sells a pointless kit for it, and they have a wealth of other fixes for common issues with cooling, etc. It's a very simple engine (no oil filter, for example), and once I cured a recurring cooling problem, I've had no trouble from mine.

Your A4 is most likely raw water cooled, don't believe there was an option on that, so you need to make sure your thermostat works properly. It should start to open at 140.
Moyer also sells a fresh water cooling conversion, and best of all they host a forum like this, populated by other A4 owners, it's a great resource!

To be fair, another site http://www.atomic4.com/ sells electronic ignition, fresh water conversion kits, etc. They also have a prop designed for the A4 power band.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 13:48   #9

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

What Brewgyver said. Congrats on your first sailboat, you picked the perfect one. Mine was a tiller steered ‘85. With the number of boats built and the internet/Catalina Owners Association, If you have a question or problem, the answer is out there. Join the association and get on the CatalinaDirect.com mailing list. Have fun.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 03:07   #10

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Congratulations! You bought an excellent boat. Its a common and well loved model, so you should have no trouble finding other owners happy to give advice. The A4 is a great engine that will run forever if treated well (oil changes mostly). Despite everything you have said, if the engine runs and the mast is standing, quite likely you can go sailing. Your best bet would be to find a knowledgeable local sailor to go over the boat with you, and maybe take you out your first time. The C30 is an easy to sail, forgiving boat. You chose well.

As for the layout, you may be comparing your older model C30 with a newer model layout. Or your boat may have been tiller steering originally, with an add-on helm installed later...these were all the rage in the 70's. Forward sheeting (on the coach house) did not become popular until the 80's. Aft sheeting has some real advantages and was standard on most boats in the 70's. I'm sure a few searches on google and you will have all your answers.

Good luck with you new boat and your new adventures!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 03:18   #11

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Take a look at your turnbuckles on the side stays. If they are done up all the way (or almost) then you likely have a problem with the mast step or compression post. This is not a fool proof indicator, but its pretty easy to check.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, catalina 30