Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2016, 04:55   #46

Boat: no boat any more
Re: New to boats; help me understand this one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
If you've never bought and owned a boat over 25', don't get a "blue water" boat because you dream of sailing around the world.

For every story you hear about a total newbie who buys a boat sight unseen and goes round the world. there are hundreds of broken dreams.

Get a boat close to home that meets your current needs. If you do that for a few years, you will be far better equipped to pick out a boat for the big trip in the future and more likely to get a boat that meets your current needs better.

Adding in a long distance purchase of a boat that likely has major problems is just piling bad news on top of bad news.

FYI - there is no such thing as a "blue water" boat. It's a marketing term.
print this out & hang it on your wall!
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 05:09   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbogie View Post
but you wouldn't buy a 1977 car. sorry. couldn't help myself.
Did once screaming deal bought a kw w900 for 3k . 3 months later I spent 6500 on an engine rebuild , two weeks later both drive axles blew . Pulled and sold the engine for 4k and gave the rest to the salvage yard. But I had fun and learned a lot doing the engine. Now I just fix that new fangled stuff for other ppl.
Old 25-10-2016, 05:23   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pygmalion View Post
I'm not going to pretend I know anything........'. I like this one,.....

1977 Formosa Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
be clear about one thing: as long as your knowledge (about boats in general & "blue-water" in particular) is, as you state yourself, lacking, "liking" a boat is an absolutely, utterly meaningless emotion & sentimentalism (akin to "liking" a bicycle without ever having ridden one)
Old 25-10-2016, 06:21   #49

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I know nothing about this particular boat. What I do know is that $5,000 for a 34' sailboat without major problems is just too good to be true. It looks good in the photo. It is either the buy of a lifetime, stolen or in truly awful condition. Being a cynic I lean towards the last two possibilities. Proceed with caution.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 07:06   #50

" Proceed with caution." - in my experience in "marine matters" one is rarely wrong in being cautious
Old 25-10-2016, 08:08   #51

Again, thanks for all the comments! I definitely feel like I've learnt quite a bit from reading what everyone has to say and I appreciate the variety in opinions.

I do like the boat ( basically the layout and center cockpit with room to walk around on deck) and I'm certainly not scared of work, however I think we'll pass on this particular boat. If anything, because it's in Hawaii and everything is more expensive there.

I'll keep looking around for a (cheap) boat closer to home that I can work and learn on. Though if I could score on finding one that we'd be happy on for long voyages, so much the better. Probably won't find one for a while.

I also feel like I must clarify that while circumnavigation is the dream, I'm certainly not planning on sailing straight into the Atlantic/Pacific with no experience. That would be very foolish. This is a long term goal for us.

I'll go check out the surveyor's thread for tips. Thanks again!
Pygmalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 08:48   #52

Lots of good advice here, but I would see if you can find a sailing club in your area. Racers are always looking for crew and you can learn a lot racing small boats and meeting people. Sail with as many different skippers as you can, since being a captain does not make an owner skilled. Compare boats, captains, other crews and learn what will work for you. My EX and I used to deliver boats and did several from Hawaii to Calif. The last one was with our 18 month old son. We took an extra crew so that the wife could take care of the baby. By the end of that trip the wife was wishing we had taken a baby sitter rather than another sailor, so that she could have had a break from the boy. A child at sea is a 25 hour a day job. Many family cruises have worked, but I suspect that many, many more have failed due to the added stress of sailing and raising a child on a boat. Start small and work your way up. Just my 2 cents worth. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 10:46   #53

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pygmalion View Post
Is it OK to condense and translate the general consensus to "Only consider this boat if you're broke and willing to work your butt off"?

I would say only consider it if you have a place to keep it while you restore it.

That boat is a Formosa model, a little smaller but similar to the ketch in the movie "Captain Ron". And just like in that movie, it could be a hell of a nice boat with some hard work. But it looks like even the sails are missing - you need sails for a sailboat, and those would cost over 5000 alone. I think that's one reason it's so cheap.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 14:22   #54
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: C&C 33 MKII

Pigmalion. After reading all these responses I hope you understand that your dream is a grand one, and if you want to actually achieve it stop looking at POS boats on the internet and buy a small 24ft sailboat, learn how to sail, have fun with the family and get some experience.

In a few years you will have a much better idea of what you want.

Btw. I wouldn't touch that boat. Even if the owner paid me 5k to take it.
Hamish_ct is offline   Reply With Quote