Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2021, 23:23   #1

New sailor looking for boat in Australia/NZ

Hey guys, thanks for looking at my post. I've been really enjoying reading some of the threads and stories here which has really just confirmed my decision to join the cruiser lifestyle. A little about me, I've grown up by the ocean and consider myself a waterman and have been around powerboats growing up, spearfishing offshore and living the typical ocean lifestyle.

I've always had a boat licence, anyway I've recently sold my house and am looking to move onto a yacht and start travelling solo (gradually increasing my radius as borders open) I will most likely hang around the marina for a while doing small trips and trying to make friends with experienced sailors as I've never sailed before.

So at the moment, there doesn't seem to be a lot available in the way of boats that would suit a solo newbie that's not to say there aren't any though. My price range is around AU50-60k. So far I have found what looks to be a nice 1976 Westsail 32 for around AU50k and it's a tiller, also a 1978 Islander 34 sloop for around the same price and a good looking (in the pics) 1990 Jeanneau 31, that's around AU70k. Also there is a 2001 Roberts 30 foot sloop for around AU50k but it has a steel hull and I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

I know I have not provided details on condition etc. I will be getting a survey done before I purchase, I'm more looking for your opinions on these boats in general. While I've got you if there is anyone here who is from AU or NZ and have a something in the above price range or have any contacts I would so appreciate that. Anyway thanks for reading and safe travels.
Justin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 01:23   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: New sailor looking for boat in Australia/NZ

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Justin.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 01:38   #3

Thank you, it's great to be here. I'm really enjoying reading through the forums there is a wealth of knowledge and experience here.
Old 15-04-2021, 03:13   #4

Boat: Lightwave 38

Hi Justin, where are you based? I have been told user “Fore and Aft” on here can be a valuable contact as far as sourcing vessels yet to be advertised. He is based in south east Queensland.
Old 15-04-2021, 03:43   #5

Oh wow, I'm actually in Brisbane for the next few weeks, thanks for the reply I think I will chase that up. Cheers.
Old 15-04-2021, 09:42   #6

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_ View Post
Oh wow, I'm actually in Brisbane for the next few weeks, thanks for the reply I think I will chase that up. Cheers.
Hi Justin, my boat is currently in Yamba on a mooring. I've done lots of singlehanding and had 28 boats over the years. I might be able to shed some light on a suitable vessel for you. Can take you for a sail any time, depending on the weather. You can text or call anytime. 0435040703. rgds John
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 11:02   #7

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Hey guys, thanks for looking at my post. I've been really enjoying reading some of the threads and stories here which has really just confirmed my decision to join the cruiser lifestyle. A little about me, I've grown up by the ocean and consider myself a waterman and have been around powerboats growing up, spearfishing offshore and living the typical ocean lifestyle.

I've always had a boat licence, anyway I've recently sold my house and am looking to move onto a yacht and start travelling solo (gradually increasing my radius as borders open) I will most likely hang around the marina for a while doing small trips and trying to make friends with experienced sailors as I've never sailed before.

So at the moment, there doesn't seem to be a lot available in the way of boats that would suit a solo newbie that's not to say there aren't any though. My price range is around AU50-60k. So far I have found what looks to be a nice 1976 Westsail 32 for around AU50k and it's a tiller, also a 1978 Islander 34 sloop for around the same price and a good looking (in the pics) 1990 Jeanneau 31, that's around AU70k. Also there is a 2001 Roberts 30 foot sloop for around AU50k but it has a steel hull and I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

I know I have not provided details on condition etc. I will be getting a survey done before I purchase, I'm more looking for your opinions on these boats in general. While I've got you if there is anyone here who is from AU or NZ and have a something in the above price range or have any contacts I would so appreciate that. Anyway thanks for reading and safe travels.
Yes, hanging around marinas and getting on other people's boats would be your best place to start. The east coast of OZ would probably have the most opportunities. Given that you're coming from a house,, size may be a real transition issue for you (I lean toward getting the biggest boat you can afford). You should stick to sailing on other people's boats until this pandemic eases and you'll have a larger and better search area. Malaysia, the PI and Indonesia often have good deals on sail boats but you can't go there at the moment. Soloing a boat once under sail is not that big of a deal. Where you might consider needing an extra hand will be anchoring, sail handling and night watches for longer passages.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 13:18   #8

It is not Australia but Langkawi in Malaysia often has some good deals.
bill99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 14:44   #9

Boat: Viking, 9.4m,

Justin, I'm surprised you are finding it so difficult. Presumably you've done the Google search, where you'll find Boatpoint, Yachthub, South 38, Gumtree, Ebay, etc.
I just sold mine last year for a lot less than 50K. I would have thought it's a buyers market at the time. When I bought it (many years ago) I looked at the adds for almost a year, then bought a clutch of airline tickets up and own the East Coast, and bought one in Mooloolabar (and I'm in Melbourne). Had it trucked down - much safer if you don't know the boat, but a shorter trip is OK by sail. In fact the buyer of my boat sailed it back to Sydney the day after the sale! Not something I'd recommend.
Old 15-04-2021, 15:32   #10

Boat: SS34

Quote:

I would suggest stepping back for a moment and consider what your really after. Most of the vessels in your short list are particularly slow and while suitable for singlehanded sailing are not ideal. I would suggest spending sometime on other peoples boats first or buy a cheapy off eBay or Gumtree and get a feel for what you need. The market is tough at the moment with all the good boats snapped up and all sorts of dross dragged out at sometimes ridiculous asking money. In a few months time when overseas travel is again available there is going to be a sea of extraordinary buys out there.
In the meantime if your keen to buy now stick with fibreglass and buy a stock boat from the seventies and eighties in the 32 to 34 foot range. Be prepared to travel.
Ramona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 16:58   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
Hi Justin, my boat is currently in Yamba on a mooring. I've done lots of singlehanding and had 28 boats over the years. I might be able to shed some light on a suitable vessel for you. Can take you for a sail any time, depending on the weather. You can text or call anytime. 0435040703. rgds John
Thanks so much for the amazing gesture John, I am from Scotts Head, well that's where I was from until I sold up. I am travelling to Vic soon so if I can get a chance to take up your offer I will definitely keep your number. Again thanks, I am quite surprised at just how welcoming this community is. Safe travels.
Old 15-04-2021, 17:08   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Nankervis View Post
Justin, I'm surprised you are finding it so difficult. Presumably you've done the Google search, where you'll find Boatpoint, Yachthub, South 38, Gumtree, Ebay, etc.
I just sold mine last year for a lot less than 50K. I would have thought it's a buyers market at the time. When I bought it (many years ago) I looked at the adds for almost a year, then bought a clutch of airline tickets up and own the East Coast, and bought one in Mooloolabar (and I'm in Melbourne). Had it trucked down - much safer if you don't know the boat, but a shorter trip is OK by sail. In fact the buyer of my boat sailed it back to Sydney the day after the sale! Not something I'd recommend.
I think maybe part of not finding anything yet is my lack of knowledge, I may have scrolled past numerous good boats because I'm still not yet familiar with the different manufacturers. I'm basically just looking for the most popular recommendations from google eg. Catalinas, Jeanneau, Westsail etc. Hopefully here I can learn to recognise more brands. Thanks for the advice, I will look at all of the transport options maybe find a seller that is willing to help out with sailing it etc. Great advice. Cheers.
Old 15-04-2021, 17:24   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona View Post
I would suggest stepping back for a moment and consider what your really after. Most of the vessels in your short list are particularly slow and while suitable for singlehanded sailing are not ideal. I would suggest spending sometime on other peoples boats first or buy a cheapy off eBay or Gumtree and get a feel for what you need. The market is tough at the moment with all the good boats snapped up and all sorts of dross dragged out at sometimes ridiculous asking money. In a few months time when overseas travel is again available there is going to be a sea of extraordinary buys out there.
In the meantime if your keen to buy now stick with fibreglass and buy a stock boat from the seventies and eighties in the 32 to 34 foot range. Be prepared to travel.
I will admit, it's definitely hard to keep the excitement at bay lol, but you are right I will step back and be patient. Like you said there are good boats that come along but because of my lack of knowledge by the time I do my research a more experienced person has already recognised it and snapped it up. I will keep browsing the forums here and researching as much as possible though I am ready to buy now. Thanks for the advice. Safe travels.
Old 15-04-2021, 17:40   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
Yes, hanging around marinas and getting on other people's boats would be your best place to start. The east coast of OZ would probably have the most opportunities. Given that you're coming from a house,, size may be a real transition issue for you (I lean toward getting the biggest boat you can afford). You should stick to sailing on other people's boats until this pandemic eases and you'll have a larger and better search area. Malaysia, the PI and Indonesia often have good deals on sail boats but you can't go there at the moment. Soloing a boat once under sail is not that big of a deal. Where you might consider needing an extra hand will be anchoring, sail handling and night watches for longer passages.
From the response I've received already from this community I feel that it wont be as hard as I thought to find a mentor or at least do a couple of trips on other boats. The community here seems more than helpful. Coming from a house is not so much an issue, I'm an outdoor person and am quite comfortable in all conditions. I will definitely increase my boat search to include S/E Asia just in case I'm still looking when the borders open again. Thanks for the advice, safe travels.
Old 15-04-2021, 18:00   #15

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Buying in SE Asia is still off limits, at least traveling to and from is, due to Covid issues.

It seems that Covid is also a reason that prices of boats are strengthening, alongside motorbikes, 4WDs, campervans, and now housing.

Over a year ago, a good Westsail 33 could be had for $30-$35k, and there was one sold in WA for around $20k; now the asking prices are around $50k.

Hehehe, I should sell my boat...just kidding.

Yes, go out sailing on other people's boats, like there was one offer upthread. Talk and listen to others when types of boats are discussed.
Have a look at https://sailboatdata.com/ at the boats been discussed. Ask questions, compare boats, and try to establish what is important to you: size, speed, comfort, ease of handling, reliability, self-sustainability, bling . I am sure you know that all these things in one boat comes at a price!

Tags
Australia, boat, sail