Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2021, 20:36   #16

Boat: Heavenly Twins 26
Re: New sailor looking for boat in Australia/NZ

For a broad range of available yachts in Australia look at Yachthub and Boatsales.com.au Once you find a model you like, try googling the boat to find the ads on other agent pages.
Save yourself some travel and look at the Brisbane boats before you move to Melbourne. If you’re going to be in Victoria you’ll need to consider heating (ask me how I know...)
Insurance is an issue. Insurers are increasingly declining boats over 40 years age if they’re being insured for less than $1000 per foot length. Also keep in mind that insurers require standing rigging to be less than 10 ears old especially when you commence a new policy - that a significant cost you have to add to many prospective purchases...
Screw Loose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 02:59   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw Loose View Post
For a broad range of available yachts in Australia look at Yachthub and Boatsales.com.au Once you find a model you like, try googling the boat to find the ads on other agent pages.
Save yourself some travel and look at the Brisbane boats before you move to Melbourne. If you’re going to be in Victoria you’ll need to consider heating (ask me how I know...)
Insurance is an issue. Insurers are increasingly declining boats over 40 years age if they’re being insured for less than $1000 per foot length. Also keep in mind that insurers require standing rigging to be less than 10 ears old especially when you commence a new policy - that a significant cost you have to add to many prospective purchases...
That is really good advice, it's these finer yet very important details that might have caught me by surprise after buying a boat. That could be tragic finding a boat is not insurable after I purchase it. Thanks for the advice.
Justin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 16:31   #18

Hi Justin, park up with a cubba and watch how Free Range Sailing did an Oz circumnavigation in a 30 foot Clansman.
Lot of costs slowly upgrading a tiny home, most homes, actually!
Yoty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 17:31   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoty View Post
Hi Justin, park up with a cubba and watch how Free Range Sailing did an Oz circumnavigation in a 30 foot Clansman.
Lot of costs slowly upgrading a tiny home, most homes, actually!
He said the yacht was less than the price of a new car.
Yoty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 18:11   #20

Hi Justine.
There are 3 Mottle 33 s for Sale in oz...
https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...cockpit/259942
thierry58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 19:12   #21

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_ View Post
Hey guys, thanks for looking at my post. I've been really enjoying reading some of the threads and stories here which has really just confirmed my decision to join the cruiser lifestyle. A little about me, I've grown up by the ocean and consider myself a waterman and have been around powerboats growing up, spearfishing offshore and living the typical ocean lifestyle.

I've always had a boat licence, anyway I've recently sold my house and am looking to move onto a yacht and start travelling solo (gradually increasing my radius as borders open) I will most likely hang around the marina for a while doing small trips and trying to make friends with experienced sailors as I've never sailed before.

So at the moment, there doesn't seem to be a lot available in the way of boats that would suit a solo newbie that's not to say there aren't any though. My price range is around AU50-60k. So far I have found what looks to be a nice 1976 Westsail 32 for around AU50k and it's a tiller, also a 1978 Islander 34 sloop for around the same price and a good looking (in the pics) 1990 Jeanneau 31, that's around AU70k. Also there is a 2001 Roberts 30 foot sloop for around AU50k but it has a steel hull and I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

I know I have not provided details on condition etc. I will be getting a survey done before I purchase, I'm more looking for your opinions on these boats in general. While I've got you if there is anyone here who is from AU or NZ and have a something in the above price range or have any contacts I would so appreciate that. Anyway thanks for reading and safe travels.

Justin, when I was shopping for this boat, around nine years ago, it was normal for boats to be advertised at a price about 50% greater than what the owner really expected to get. Or in other words, the real price was about two thirds of the advertised price.

Now I know things have changed as a result of some spare cash sloshing around the system here in Australia, but I suspect the situation is not all that different now.

Finally, your budget would get you a decent Swanson in the size you are thinking of. I am biased, but I do believe they are very good boats, particularly for their price.
Old 16-04-2021, 19:31   #22

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Hi Justin, there's a Currawong for sale on Yachthub, just listed for 27.5k which is a reasonable price for one of these. Has a Flemming self steering gear that you'll need for singlehanding and these things cost thousands plus you have to fit etc. Also in Melbourne. If you spent some time on it and gave it some love it would be hard to lose. These are very good boats and can take some weather. They have encapsulated keels too which is a sign of a quality build. I doubt it will last long in this current market although with winter coming who knows?? You might get a good deal on it.
You can get liability only insurance which you'll need for marinas etc for about $400 a year. Try Youi and they should fix you up there. A lot of cruisers self insure these days especially the ones that actually go places as insurance companies place many restrictions on you once you go offshore.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 01:10   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Justin, when I was shopping for this boat, around nine years ago, it was normal for boats to be advertised at a price about 50% greater than what the owner really expected to get. Or in other words, the real price was about two thirds of the advertised price.

Now I know things have changed as a result of some spare cash sloshing around the system here in Australia, but I suspect the situation is not all that different now.

Finally, your budget would get you a decent Swanson in the size you are thinking of. I am biased, but I do believe they are very good boats, particularly for their price.
Thanks for the advice, I've added Swansons to my watchlist. Looks like there is a couple out there. Patience seems to be key especially since I've not sailed before but I'm more confident that I will find something now. Cheers
Old 17-04-2021, 01:16   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
Hi Justin, there's a Currawong for sale on Yachthub, just listed for 27.5k which is a reasonable price for one of these. Has a Flemming self steering gear that you'll need for singlehanding and these things cost thousands plus you have to fit etc. Also in Melbourne. If you spent some time on it and gave it some love it would be hard to lose. These are very good boats and can take some weather. They have encapsulated keels too which is a sign of a quality build. I doubt it will last long in this current market although with winter coming who knows?? You might get a good deal on it.
You can get liability only insurance which you'll need for marinas etc for about $400 a year. Try Youi and they should fix you up there. A lot of cruisers self insure these days especially the ones that actually go places as insurance companies place many restrictions on you once you go offshore.
You weren't kidding when you said it won't last long lol, it's under contract but your advice has led me to another name to add to the watchlist. Also I don't mind something that requires a bit of work as I was a chippy in a past life so I would like something I can work on. I will have the time before I'm competent enough to set off. Again thanks for looking out for me.
Old 17-04-2021, 01:23   #25

Does anyone have an opinion on the Tayana 37?

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...yana-37/256708
Old 17-04-2021, 03:20   #26

Quote:

Pretty well respected boat from a reputable builder and, I think, designed by the very highly respected Bob Perry.

I seem to remember leaky decks are an issue for them by this age.

Interior will probably be very nice but rather dark.
Old 17-04-2021, 03:21   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Pretty well respected boat from a reputable builder and, I think, designed by the very highly respected Bob Perry.

I seem to remember leaky decks are an issue for them by this age.

Interior will probably be very nice but rather dark.

No rocket-ship but sails ok.
Old 17-04-2021, 03:34   #28

Boat: Volkscruiser

I see that Tatyana has the original wooden mast, which will need a thorough inspection. No mention of engine hours, lots of these older Taiwanese yachts I survey have osmosis as well.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 04:18   #29

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
You weren't kidding when you said it won't last long lol, it's under contract but your advice has led me to another name to add to the watchlist. Also I don't mind something that requires a bit of work as I was a chippy in a past life so I would like something I can work on. I will have the time before I'm competent enough to set off. Again thanks for looking out for me.
Shame it sold, good boats can go very quickly in any market. That's the best deal I've seen on one of these for a long time. Will let you know if I see anything else. Good to know you have skills, it will save you heaps long term. There's a larger version of this and was Jouberts own boat, a 34ft Magpie, asking 85k but been a long time on the market. Maybe 20/30k overpriced. You'll see it on Yachthub in Qld. They've kind of stuffed the boat with that crap some people hang on the stern, will make it hobbyhorse to weather but some are willing to sacrifice a bit in order for the gains. Bit ugly though.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 17:11   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
I see that Tatyana has the original wooden mast, which will need a thorough inspection. No mention of engine hours, lots of these older Taiwanese yachts I survey have osmosis as well.
Cheers
Thanks for the advice, a survey will be a must for me being new to sailing. But hopefully I can find something that is as close to a sure thing before spending the money on a survey too. I will keep the Tayana on the watchlist but will check out some of the other recommendations from all of you guys first. Thanks again for your reply.

Tags
Australia, boat, sail