Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2021, 00:09   #76

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: New sailor looking for boat in Australia/NZ

NevilleCat that looks like a nice yacht, she is Australian registered as well so that saves a few dollars if you want to take her offshore.
Cheers
https://www.amsa.gov.au/vessels-oper...apphire-dancer
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 00:48   #77

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Only GST I think, I sailed a US boat over and there was no duty so I doubt there's duty on NZ boats. Cost about $1200 to register and you can start online. They're happy once the $$$ been paid, you then have quite a few months to get it over here.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 22:31   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevilleCat View Post
Justin be aware that you will either need to get the boat to NZ Cat1 to take it offshore...research that, quite intense...or alternatively you might be able to register it in Aus (if this is where you want to end up) and I imagine it can be done but not sure, as you will have to "import it" and pay the duty and GST so factor that in.
Really you could probably just buy this little Jarkan in Vic...already in the Gippsland Lakes which is a great place to learn and get the boat sorted before popping out to the Bass Strait Islands and Tassie (in summer).
This is great advice and something that a lot of people would be aware of. I will start researching this right away. And that Jarkan is indeed a nice and tidy looking boat. Though I am in fact heading back over to NZ permanently next week so my search will continue over there but thanks again for that valuable info.
Justin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 22:45   #79

Quick update, thank you all for the advice you have shared in this thread a lot of it could save me thousands without it. I have been to NZ and looked at the Ray Beale and indeed it was just as tidy and well maintained as the description. Actually physically looking at my first boat has taught me a lot and spending the day with a great owner was valuable. It's not for me and I've decided to increase the budget because actually being on the boat I have learned a lot more of what my needs/wants are so it was worth travelling there even if it was just to chat to the local boat builder and the owner and gain more insight. The Jack Taylor I had firmly in my sights next looks like it could be sold but they will get back to me if anything changes. Which leads me to being back in Aus for a few days then heading back to NZ indefinitely. There I can walk the docks, check any for sale signs and check out these boats too:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/b...2?bof=futZzjWY

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/b...6?bof=cBChJXJr

1986 Bruce Roberts 37 - Vining Marine Picton & Nelson

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/b...0?bof=DDrsQ4ZY

The Roberts seem to have a good reputation and I'm intrigued by the Baltic 35. Anyway, I really appreciate all of the help, by most peoples metrics I'm still rushing into this but... what the heck! with all of the advice from you guys and speaking to local boat builders like I did in Tauranga and a thorough survey hopefully I don't buy a complete potato on water, but the house is already sold and its getting expensive living in hotels lol. I will definitely keep you posted and after I have a boat hopefully in some years I can contribute to these forums and help out someone else. Cheers.
Old 04-05-2021, 23:46   #80

Justin I am not keen on the Sea Glass, looks like a H28 on steroids and just as Pokey. The Baltic looks interesting for sure, the only thing I didn't like is the long step before the companionway entrance. In my experience it involves your knee touching your chin as you try to duck under the dodger and get into the yacht. Its just a matter of practice and I am sure in the end you do not notice doing it. The Roberts link was not working and the Jeanneau looks just like a standard production yacht. Neither good nor bad.
Cheers
Old 05-05-2021, 00:14   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Justin I am not keen on the Sea Glass, looks like a H28 on steroids and just as Pokey. The Baltic looks interesting for sure, the only thing I didn't like is the long step before the companionway entrance. In my experience it involves your knee touching your chin as you try to duck under the dodger and get into the yacht. Its just a matter of practice and I am sure in the end you do not notice doing it. The Roberts link was not working and the Jeanneau looks just like a standard production yacht. Neither good nor bad.
Cheers
Cheers, the Jeanneau is not the top of the list but I will still look at it. This Roberts and the Baltic are what I’m really interested in. There’s several new listings everyday so in between now and then there will most likely be something else but I’m close to just making a decision(and I won’t be pestering you guys so much anymore lol) Cheers.

Think this link works.

http://www.vinings.co.nz/index.php?m...nid=78&page=78
Old 05-05-2021, 01:00   #82

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
NevilleCat that looks like a nice yacht, she is Australian registered as well so that saves a few dollars if you want to take her offshore.

Cheers

https://www.amsa.gov.au/vessels-oper...apphire-dancer

There’s no way the ON meets the marking requirements.

Just saying.
Old 11-05-2021, 21:44   #83

Boat: Formosa 56

For living aboard and cruising out in the open ocean a bigger boat is better, the cost of the navigation and other equipment is the same (in the marina/harbor and boat yard, smaller is cheaper).

If you cannot find a boat in New Zealand, perhaps Hawaii is an option.
There are boats for sale in Hawaii and the prices are in my opinion very reasonable compared to elsewhere.
The exact travel restrictions can be found at https://www.hawaii-guide.com/hawaii-...sting-partners.
Generally one can find crew to take a trip down (once New Zealand opens up for cruisers, which you probably know more about than I do).
sailingdutchboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 19:38   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdutchboy View Post
For living aboard and cruising out in the open ocean a bigger boat is better, the cost of the navigation and other equipment is the same (in the marina/harbor and boat yard, smaller is cheaper).

If you cannot find a boat in New Zealand, perhaps Hawaii is an option.
There are boats for sale in Hawaii and the prices are in my opinion very reasonable compared to elsewhere.
The exact travel restrictions can be found at https://www.hawaii-guide.com/hawaii-...sting-partners.
Generally one can find crew to take a trip down (once New Zealand opens up for cruisers, which you probably know more about than I do).
Thanks for the advice its much appreciated, I am still looking in NZ and have a couple lined up so will see how I go before considering purchasing further abroad. Cheers.
Old 15-05-2021, 19:54   #85

Quick update, here in NZ and have looked at a couple of boats. Unfortunately they have been far from the pics and descriptions so have walked away. Still searching and am looking at a nice looking Hardin Sea Wolf ketch only because it is close by but looks nice as a live aboard for cruising around NZ.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/b...3?bof=09M8yPwX

Also checking out an Owen Woolley 40 which looks like it needs some work and a Ted Irwin 42 which is a beast with absolutely everything equipped for offshore cruising but a price to match so that will be a bit of a Hail Mary offer lol.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/b...9?bof=DtPINY9d

Anyways will probs be last update until I purchase and will let you know what I end up with. Cheers.
Old 25-05-2021, 23:25   #86

Quick update, so I’m sure a lot of you saw this coming.. Another new sailor in a rush to get out into the Bluewater, “can’t be that hard to find a boat right”?? Well after two flights to NZ and a lot of brokers trying to sell me anything in stock.. even if it didn’t even suit my needs and I was clear what my intended use was. I’ve finally put a deposit on this beauty

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...orth-43/262356

The engine is tired and the paint faded apparently with some very minor osmosis. The out of water survey is getting done Friday so not a done deal. Really want to thank you all especially PicklesAndJesse for the help. The members in this forum are an absolute wealth of knowledge. I really love this boat but will see Friday, I was also pretty keen on a Swanson 40 so there’s a backup plan anyways. Cheers will keep you posted.
Old 25-05-2021, 23:28   #87

Sorry meant Swanson 42 in last post.
Old 05-06-2021, 23:49   #88

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

I admit I am biased, but did you look at any?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_ View Post
Sorry meant Swanson 42 in last post.
Old 07-06-2021, 01:23   #89

New sailor looking for boat in Australia/NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I admit I am biased, but did you look at any?

I nearly put an offer on “Pelagian” she is a Swanson in Sydney she was actually surveyed by fore and aft and was a strong well looked after boat. The Cape North 43 came up and I chose the Cape North but I agonised over the decision I really love the look of the Swansons.
Old 07-06-2021, 01:34   #90

Justin I think you chose the better boat by far. Certainly better interior and probably newer motor? Nothing wrong with the Swanson 42 just some of the interiors can be a bit hit and miss.
Good luck with the new boat, could also be time to change that toilet outlet hose as well?
Cheers

Tags
Australia, boat, sail