Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2021, 17:13   #31

Re: New sailor looking for boat in Australia/NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Pretty well respected boat from a reputable builder and, I think, designed by the very highly respected Bob Perry.

I seem to remember leaky decks are an issue for them by this age.

Interior will probably be very nice but rather dark.
I will keep an eye on this one to see if it sits on the market for a bit longer then. Thanks for your reply.
Justin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 17:27   #32

Hey guys, I'm also looking at this Westsail. Also keeping in mind at this price range I would have 10k or so leftover to spend on the boat.

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...sail-33/258959

Thanks again and let me know if I'm not following proper forum etiquette.
Old 17-04-2021, 17:50   #33

Justin,
Regarding the Tayana 37.
I have a 1982 aft cockpit cutter.
Paid 30k usd.
Spent around 7k getting it sea worthy by my definition.
There are over 600 of these boats around and a pretty good owner forum to offer support.
It is a strong boat and the interior is not a cave.
Good luck with your search.
Take your time, but go.
DUNCANMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2021, 01:01   #34

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone would be opposed to the Westsail 33 above? I'm thinking of contacting them, I don't want to rush into anything and I also don't want to waste anybodys time so would like to really drill down on any boats before even contacting sellers. From what little I know so far Its obviously a subjective experience and also I'm starting to realise that regardless of the technical side of deciding on a boat there is also an emotional side so to speak, because they can have a lot of character. Without getting too deep I seem to be drawn to boats like the Westsail and the Tayana, both tillers. As I have mentioned a survey is a must for me anyway and I will check out some Westsail owners forums but I feel like this one has potential.. Unless there is any glaring issues or if it's not suited as a first yacht. Cheers.
Old 18-04-2021, 01:26   #35

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

There might be another Westsail 33 for sale in WA, not formally on the market yet. I know that boat very well (no, I have no interest in that boat formal or informal).
As I said before, these boats have increased in price over last 12 months. and wondering what else you can get for that price. I would suggest slightly larger boats and boats that sail better, but..... those Westsails are very comfy, seakind, and ooze tradition.
BTW that boat you refer to, has no VHF, just a 27MhZ radio. That is in itself no dealbreaker, but wondering if there has been any money spent on the boat last 15 years. Yes, I noted a near new engine.
Not knowing your plans, but if you were to return to where you live now, that is a trip down the bottom of Oz, or over the top, either way quite an undertaking.
Old 18-04-2021, 01:52   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
There might be another Westsail 33 for sale in WA, not formally on the market yet. I know that boat very well (no, I have no interest in that boat formal or informal).
As I said before, these boats have increased in price over last 12 months. and wondering what else you can get for that price. I would suggest slightly larger boats and boats that sail better, but..... those Westsails are very comfy, seakind, and ooze tradition.
BTW that boat you refer to, has no VHF, just a 27MhZ radio. That is in itself no dealbreaker, but wondering if there has been any money spent on the boat last 15 years. Yes, I noted a near new engine.
Not knowing your plans, but if you were to return to where you live now, that is a trip down the bottom of Oz, or over the top, either way quite an undertaking.
Thanks for the reply, I might let the Westsail sit for a bit longer on my watchlist. If it sells then it sells. Besides NZ, the borders are not looking like reopening to international travel anytime soon and as I've sold the house already with the intent on travelling I guess it is what it is as far as the inflated prices go. So no one thinks I'm crazy the sale of my house was arranged before March last year but the settlement took forever and ended up settling smack in the middle of the pandemic lol. My accommodation is just temporary now, in regards to the location of a boat when I purchase one, let's just say I can consider that my first destination and I can hang around for a while and work/learn to sail it. Thanks again.
Old 18-04-2021, 14:21   #37

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
My accommodation is just temporary now, in regards to the location of a boat when I purchase one, let's just say I can consider that my first destination and I can hang around for a while and work/learn to sail it.
This really opens up your vista, Justin. Basically means that you can entertain purchase anywhere in Oz without worry about getting the new boat "home". I think it improves your odds a great deal.

Carry on, and good luck!

JIm
Old 19-04-2021, 14:05   #38

Boat: Van de Stadt "YM Seahorse" 10m

This is the bloke you need (https://openoceanmarine.co.nz/contact/). Sam Cannel has been selling and finding ships for people here a number of years, a very experienced sailor himself and works out of Marsden Cove Marina. New Zealand is a buyers market at the moment, most have ridiculous prices and soon drop them because the place is saturated with people who simply don't want the expense of maintenance, marina berths and moorings and a wife who can't stand being on that "ridiculous boat" anymore. Only trouble is NZ is covid free and getting in here requires a few hurdles plus 2 weeks managed isolation but then you have one of the best cruising boat friendly countries in the world to travel around....and no mask.
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 16:54   #39

https://au.yachtworld.com/boats/1978...er-34-3663432/

Hey guys quick update, I’ve started contacting a couple of sellers(Tayana and Westsail) also wondering if I could get your take on the above Islander 34? I’ve already noticed that I’m drawn to this similar style boats. Keeping in mind at this price I will have around 10-15k left in the budget to spend on the boat. Anyway I’m not one to rush such a big decision however like I’ve said I am ready to go. Cheers.
Old 19-04-2021, 17:16   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New sailor looking for boat in Australia/NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_ View Post
https://au.yachtworld.com/boats/1978...er-34-3663432/

Hey guys quick update, I’ve started contacting a couple of sellers(Tayana and Westsail) also wondering if I could get your take on the above Islander 34? I’ve already noticed that I’m drawn to this similar style boats. Keeping in mind at this price I will have around 10-15k left in the budget to spend on the boat. Anyway I’m not one to rush such a big decision however like I’ve said I am ready to go. Cheers.
Nice looking boat, great interior and the water maker will give you greater independence and range while the heater will keep you cozy in winter..
I like her better than the Westsail.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 19:12   #41

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

There's a Davidson 31 for sale in NZ, listed yesterday for 44k Aust$ with a new Yanmar 200 hrs. Sweet looking boat and looks good in photos at least. You can find it on Trademe NZ Yachts.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 19:52   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
There's a Davidson 31 for sale in NZ, listed yesterday for 44k Aust$ with a new Yanmar 200 hrs. Sweet looking boat and looks good in photos at least. You can find it on Trademe NZ Yachts.
Probably sell very fast this one. Set up for singlehanding too.
Old 19-04-2021, 21:11   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
That looks like it’s been exceptionally well maintained wow. I’ve contacted them, NZ was going to be the first country to explore so this would be perfect. I will try to line up a couple of boats over there to make the most of a flight. Thanks for keeping an eye out and again I appreciate the offer in your earliest post.
Old 19-04-2021, 21:25   #44

There's a Peterson 10mtr (33ft) on the same site for 41.6k Aust with a near new engine that looks good too. Has a transom hung rudder which is good for easy repair too. Kiwis really know how to build cold moulded (molded for US) boat too. Peterson designs are well thought of. The Peterson has been on the market for a few months and might take a low offer coming on winter. Good luck. If you sail back to Aust you'll need to register it in this country first to avoid all the Kiwi restrictions on vessels leaving the country, that's quite easy to do.
Old 19-04-2021, 21:56   #45

Boat: Volkscruiser

How about a Valiant 40? Needs a bit of work.
Cheers

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/b...4?bof=6UlJOhfB
https://www.boats.com/reviews/a-legend-in-its-own-time/
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, boat, sail