Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2017, 05:09   #31

Boat: no boat any more
Re: New Sailboats

& fwiw: imho a 54' boat should be able to take ANY weather being thrown at it, any!
Old 24-05-2017, 07:47   #32

Boat: Pogo 10,50

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
& fwiw: imho a 54' boat should be able to take ANY weather being thrown at it, any!

Lol that's a bit general, as many purpose-built 54 ft boats can't take rough weather. And many 60ft IMOCA class boat got wrecked in the southern seas storms, yet I would assume these are offshore qualified.
CbroTheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 09:02   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
without wanting to offend you, AJPT, "wood workmanship was very high class" disqualifies you. The quality of a sailboat is first & foremost determined by the quality of it's mouldings, hull & deck - & how are you going to judge that at a boatshow? You either have to be a composite technichian & be present during moulding (remember: temperature, humidity,...is critical!) or do some destructive testing.
as former basemanager at a charterbase I can assure you, that we never judged boatquality by moulding, but by what broke down during charters & how quick & easy it was to fix. this meant quality of installations, accessability, reliability of components like fridges, engines, windlasses, cookers,...
& regarding Wauquieuz: an old friend of mine had the yard-crew come several times during the warranty period & still did not manage to fix serious delamination & moulding-quality issues. his verdict was damning!
No offense taken. It was very high better than being very poor.

Yeah your right, dont bother going to a boat show, pointless.

Funny you say that, I'm qualified to CSWIP 3.2u non destructive testing.

I'll book my appointment for hull thickness testing with Hanse right away, dig out my Cygnus thickness meter and acfm portable probe I'm off to the boat builders to examine their hulls, try and hold me back!

Why stop at Hanse, might as well do a tour of all the boat yards in Europe and when I find the hull with best integrity I'll buy it there an then, even if I can't stand the look of the interior of the boat.

I can sit in it smuggly knowing that my hull will never delaminate or be affected by osmosis and to extend upon that I'll tell everyone I know at the marina and show them with my probes and thickness meters. "Hey guys, come look at this, wanna be my friend!?"

Without wanting to offend you, the other option is buy whatever one likes and not be a massive snore about it.
AJPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 09:37   #34

wouldn't want to live in an "insufferable" interior myself, but now you write it yourself: there are priorities, & the quality of carpentrywork is not no.1.
a lot of different interiors can be livable though, from an 80ies Swan to a Pogo class 40
in some other thread a hanse-owner himself states that his is not an "offshore" boat, btw...
in your previous posts you made it sound that your Hanse-verdict was from boatshow look-sees..no offense, didn't know you are a true expert, thickness testing & all
Old 24-05-2017, 09:59   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CbroTheDude View Post
Lol that's a bit general, as many purpose-built 54 ft boats can't take rough weather. And many 60ft IMOCA class boat got wrecked in the southern seas storms, yet I would assume these are offshore qualified.
...cruisers was what I meant...
Old 24-05-2017, 09:59   #36
cruiser

OP,

While these other fellows argue about hull quality, let me enlighten you to another aspect which becomes very important if you plan to live aboard.

VENTILATION

Look for a boat with plenty of flow trough ventilation which translates to forward opening windows and ports. I've provided a picture of our boat to give you an example. Unless you want to just bake in the heat or sit dockside with the a/c on all the time, opening windows... as in many opening windows with flyscreens is a must-have.

I'd estimate that those two front windows remain open 90% of the time during summertime daylight hours. This photo was taken in October, and notice how it's open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0766.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	424.4 KB
ID:	148325  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 23:18   #37

Boat: Jeanneau 45,2

I own a 45.2 Jeanneau (2003 production year) I bought from the charter company i was working for 70.000 at 20010..
I had some choices back then because the company was on total renewal of her fleet,
I choose the Jeanneau because comparing with the (similar type and age) Bennettau/bavaria they had , it was the boat with the less problems
We are living onboard with family of 4 from day one for 330 days per year ..
I had made all the necessary refit and maitence by my self except some problems with the engine (4.500euro )
I had spent about 20.000 from 2010 including new sails +the 4.500 for the engine +200 per year to haul out for a month to let the boat dry.
The boat is in excellent contrition, without any construction issues and that I think it's fair for a "ex charter production boat" and for the money I had paid for it
For sure it hasn't the ouality of amel or oyster , halberg etc ... but it is a honest boat.
I keep reading that there aren't capable boats for circumnavigation and heavy wheather situations !!
I think the majority of sailingboats are capable but their captains aren't !!!!
Stakaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 05:32   #38

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Wow. Everyone missed the point. The OP is planning to move aboard and introduce two teenage girls, 12 and 15, to life aboard at the same time.

I doubt any manufacturer has built a boat to take the kind of storms that are gonna hit that ship.

To the OP, let us know how THAT works out for you.
Old 25-05-2017, 05:49   #39

Wow. Everyone missed the point. The OP is planning to move aboard and introduce two teenage girls, 12 and 15, to life aboard at the same time.

I doubt any manufacturer has built a boat to take the kind of storms that are gonna hit that ship.

To the OP, let us know how THAT works out for you.

GILow, as the OP himself, now that was funny. Girls will be 10 and 13 when we plan to go but same issue. My wife and I could live aboard forever starting now with zero issue. It is our girls that are the wildcard and that is the primary discussion other than which boat.
JonCharles66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 06:00   #40

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
New Sailboats

Well, call me a whimp, but we aren't moving aboard until our son has finished high school and moved in with his university pals in a rented house.

I know the limits of my seamanship.
Old 25-05-2017, 06:04   #41

As the the original poster, I want to thank everyone posting. I have been reading and taking notes. Thank you all for taking time to reply and give your opinions. One thing we realize from many of the posts, in the words of Chief Brody in the movie "Jaws" we are going to need a bigger boat. We have concluded 53-55 ft.

I also feel Kenomac is my father in spirit. Grabbing me by the ear, dragging me to the Oyster dealer, and saying: "Now sit down and write the nice man a check. Do the right thing or I am going to be very disappointed in you." Unfortunately, when I walk from the office, I also want a reasonable amount of money put away to put my girls through college since once I walk, I am not going back. So there are limits to what I am willing to spent (my apologies Kenomac).

So here is my disconnect on the thread. These are sailboats for use on the water by humans. People like me with a family. This is serious business. Lives are at stake. You make a crappy boat and people could be stranded at sea and die. Improperly designed/placed sea cocks resulting in boats sinking? How is that even possible. I simply cannot fathom that a Beneteau or Hanse is not fit for extended sea use.
JonCharles66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 07:18   #42
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonCharles66 View Post
I simply cannot fathom that a Beneteau or Hanse is not fit for extended sea use.
Once you acturally leave and go cruising you will find that these type of boats are everywhere and are "out there doing it". And when you talk to the owners you will find that the owners don't have all these issues of how the boat has failed, unlike on internet forums.
Old 25-05-2017, 07:54   #43

Boat: a sailing boat

I think you could be very happy with a HR43 MkIII or an Amel 55 or perhaps a Rustler42. If you prefer US boats there are the Morris yachts built to very high standards. Etc.

If you want a racy boat, get a J-boat, X-Yacht or something alike.

Choices are countless. Just grab what you like. Boats are like cars.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 08:39   #44

Boat: 2010 Andrews 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
I would take a Hanse over a beneteau/Jeaneau/catalina/Hunter Any day. Hanse has always been considered to be a level or two in quality ABOVE the BJCH crowd!!!
I can speak from experience. I purchased a 2006 Hanse 370e new and have just started my 12th season. It's been a great boat for both cruising and racing. In addition to having excellent accommodations it has a touch of speed that is really appreciated. I wouldn't trade my Hanse for any of the other production boats. Take a look at their web site and design your own configuration. Take delivery in Europe and save lots of money. If you are shopping in the Great Lakes area, send me a PM and I can recommend a dealer.
silversailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 15:24   #45

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversailor View Post
Take a look at their web site and design your own configuration.
Can I "design" a 45 footer with a 5 foot draft?
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat