Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2018, 10:47   #1

New sail boat owner with a hole

Hello all, my name is Chris and i am a recent new owner of a Starwind 19 sail boat which i am extremely excited to get set up and sailing. I picked this boat up as a project for my kids and I. Hopefully we can get it out on the water soon.

I did just find a hole in the bottom of the hull, beside the keel and right next to the hole for the onboard sink (which seems to be siliconed up for some reason) and I'm worried it's not supposed to be there. Anybody have ideas or experience on what it could be?

Looking forward to being a member of the forum and I'm planning on doing a lot of reading through the posts. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0927181242.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	178060  
chris1gorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 14:21   #2

Boat: Starwind 223
Re: New sail boat owner with a hole

If by "hole for the sink" you mean the tru-hull for the sink drain, that should be above the waterline, not on the "bottom of the hull"?

In either case, I would clean out all that silicone first, then buy proper tru-hull fittings (Should be 3/4 diameter for the sink drain on the Starwind). Actually seems the tru-hull for the sink drain is already there, you can leave that alone after cleaning the silicone from it. That other hole may have been from some other drain, like a bilge pump, or something of the sort. The easiest repair would be with a properly installed tru-hull fitting and a plug, that way you don't have to mess with a big tapered fiberglass repair job, and you can actually use it at some point.
rwaters71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 14:34   #3

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1gorrie View Post
... a hole in the bottom of the hull, beside the keel and right next to the hole for the onboard sink...
Since it’s next to the onboard sink and below the waterline, I would venture a guess and say that they are holes for two thru-hulls. One for the drain and one as a source of seawater for the sink.

Of course, that’s just a guess...

Enjoy the project!
Old 27-09-2018, 14:59   #4

Boat: Starwind 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRocinante View Post
Since it’s next to the onboard sink and below the waterline, I would venture a guess and say that they are holes for two thru-hulls. One for the drain and one as a source of seawater for the sink.

Of course, that’s just a guess...

Enjoy the project!
Great guess, considering they don't have water tanks
rwaters71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 18:29   #5

Depth sounder?
PLANET EXPRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 18:37   #6

How big is this hole?

If it's only 1/2" or so and is at the low spot of the hull, I'd guess it's a drain to let rain water out for when the boat's on a trailer. Technically called a "garboard drain". A screw in plastic plug would go in there before you launch the boat.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 04:19   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Chris.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 05:29   #8

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Best way to find out what it is would be to go inside the boat and see if there is anything attached to it or any near by hoses unattached. Should be pretty obvious I would think.

Enjoy!

Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 06:23   #9

Boat: Privilege 435

Chris, whatever that hole turns out to be, it's not something for you to be concerned about. It was obviously put there for a reason and sooner of later you will find out what it is. Of course, your only concern is that it doesn't let water in the boat once you have put the boat back in the water, especially as one of them has silicone in it. As others have mentioned, you could fiberglass the hole closed but the chances are that you'll discover a need for the thru hull once you get used to your boat. For peace of mind, if I were you, I'd buy two bronze thru hull fittings and two gate valves which you can get from any online marine store. They are easy to install and will last many years.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 07:36   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
New sail boat owner with a hole

Put a water hose over the hole with someone inside of the boat.
I’ll bet you’ll discover where that hole goes.
Just me, but I would not launch until I was sure about that hole, and why there is silicone on the other. It may have had it hose removed and siliconed shut, if so then removing the silicone may not be a good idea.
If that is correct, then a more permanent repair is needed, like replace the hose.
Boat may have sat on a trailer and filled with rain water and some nut drilled a hole to drain it.
Don’t launch until you’re sure, I’d hate you to sink your new boat.

On edit, never put silicone on fiberglass. Reason is it has oil or some kind of chemical in it that prevents anything else from sticking to fiberglass, so future adhesives and repairs are difficult.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 07:52   #11

Thanks for all the great replies. I stuck a flashlight in the mystery hole and went into the cabin to see where it's at. Strangely it seems that the hole is drilled through the first layer of fiberglass but not a second layer that is covering it. I like the idea of drilling it through and putting a proper fitting in there, to use for the sink. Right now the sink just goes to a little water tank which seems strange as there's no pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20815.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	406.1 KB
ID:	178129  
chris1gorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 08:33   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I know nothing about your boat, it’s not water ballasted is it?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 08:46   #13

Boat: C-26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
How big is this hole?

If it's only 1/2" or so and is at the low spot of the hull, I'd guess it's a drain to let rainwater out for when the boat's on a trailer. Technically called a "garboard drain". A screw in plastic plug would go in there before you launch the boat.
LOL. This brought back memories. Has anyone else ever been so excited about getting underway that they forgot to put the drain plug in before launch?
Lionshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 09:31   #14

Boat: Norseman 400

All boat owners - especially sailboat owners - have holes. I know, I am one.

Holes in their heads (where all the common sense drains out) and holes in their wallets!

Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 09:43   #15

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwaters71 View Post
The easiest repair would be with a properly installed tru-hull fitting and a plug, that way you don't have to mess with a big tapered fiberglass repair job, and you can actually use it at some point.
To fill a small hole you do not need to do a "big tapered fiberglass repair job" All you need to do is grind the inside of the hole to clean fiberglass and fill it with alternating layers of epoxied glass and mat. A big tapered repair is for holes that are large enough to be structural issues. I filled a few holes by my method over 20 years ago and they are still good.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail