Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2020, 07:29   #46

Boat: Beneteau Oceania 41
Re: New or nearly new

Without a moments hesitation I encourage you to buy new.

A used boat will never bring the same smile to your face.

Yes, you are going to have snags but they'll soon get sorted.

I'm not in the 50 foot price bracket but I bought a fully loaded 41 foot Beneteau 6 years ago. Not regretted it for a second.

For a long term purchase, and in your situation, the money is of secondary importance.

Plus, you get to chose a name without recourse to asking Neptune for permission to change one
Skylark UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 07:39   #47

Boat: Mariner 38 Pilot House

Buy a used boat if theres one thing I've read in this thread thats absolutely spot on its the break-in period of a new boat.

I used to sell larger power boats and almost without exception they left the facility with some issue. It could be a wiper motor that never worked or a leaky port thats going to take a dozen service calls to correct. Worse it could be transmission or engine issues associated with the initial build. All of this stuff gets corrected but the process is exhausting for the first owner. Often these problems are known but the boat will be sold without correcting them because the process favors this approach.

For an example in the $300-$400k range there are a ton of NEW boats to choose from and its easy to end up with the $300k boat thats loaded with the same features as the boat priced at $400k. Its the quality of the hardware used to fit out not the added resin that you're paying for and you should inspect it closely. The two brands (not going to name them) that I'm using for this example prove this point if you look at the resale market ten years on. The hulls of both manufactures are still fine and the engine packages are wearing as expected but the hardware on the cheaper boat is falling apart.

I've helped people part with similar amounts of cash and I would really go with a used boat from a high end manufacturer that would be outside your budget new. Take a deep breath and hit the pause button on any of the mass produced major brands and look around. The two choices you have in front of you will definitely be available again you won't miss the deal of a lifetime. Also I'm definitely not stating that a mass produced boat is the wrong choice. I'm just trying to put myself in your shoes and spend the money for maximum enjoyment.
mcon12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 07:45   #48

Boat: Oyster 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock1 View Post
Firstly, I consider myself to be be very fortunate as having worked hard all my life I am now in a position to purchase a boat for my retirement. I am looking to buy a 50 to 60 foot vessel and have been doing the usual trawl of yachtmarket to find a suitable vessel.

I have now narrowed my decision either buy a brand new boat (Bene 51.1) or a low engine hours nearly new vessel (Bene 55.1 70hrs 2018). Both are coming in at the same price point and both have the spec I want for extensive med cruising.

The broker for the new boat is offering a very decent discount on the new boat and the nearly new boat is at the same price point from depreciation and a desire by the owner to sell.

I understand that the Bene 55.1 is now being discontinued and it looks like the 51.1 is heading to be one of their best selling models yet.

Interested in your thoughts on this as I am really struggling with the pros and cons (nice problem to have I admit) and want to know if anyone out there has been in the same position and what decision did they made and why.

Thanks
AS the owner of a 49 foot yacht, I would say don't get the bigger boat.
In the Med, the marinas charge by length.
Boat handling for you and Mrs get more challenging as size goes up.
You will find quite a lot of harbours will not accomodate the bigger length and draft.

Ts
Tudorsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 09:45   #49

If the used boat only has 70 hours on it, have all the niggles been found and fixed? With the new boat, there's a warranty period to fix what's not right. With the used boat, you are hoping that the previous owner found them and had them fixed. Hopefully that's true - but 70 hours is not much actual usage...
penguin6429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 09:54   #50

Boat: Bavaria 35 Exclusive

I agree with Demonious, a new boat loses the VAT value immediately after purchase and new boats tend to have a number of annoying things to be set right during the first period of use.
Hence I would definitely choose the nearly new one.
As you say layout and finish are the same, the bigger the better in my opinion, as room is never enough.
The only other consideration may be the marina mooring costs.
Just make sure the 55 is not requiring a far larger mooring slot which may add up excessive costs over the years.
Kinpa_1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 10:48   #51

Buying a boat is rather like buying an airplane: expensive to buy; expensive to maintain. Unlike a boat, a plane can hold its price on resale. The finances of boats are more like cars - a leaden drop as soon as you leave the lot. This is why I am offering you the best possible advice BAR NONE (as a prior boat and plane buyer). Are you ready?

Rent it first; several times in fact - then consider your options again.
betwys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 21:12   #52

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinpa_1951 View Post
I agree with Demonious, a new boat loses the VAT value immediately after purchase
What, no?

For people outside of the EU, who could buy a new VAT free, then yes. But for the EU market, I don't see any logical reason why that would happen?

The differences in VAT rates will affect the value, sure. If a resident of state A could buy a new for VAT 19% but I paid VAT 24%.