Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 13-02-2010, 02:23   #1

New Najad Hull Shapes: Are They Good for Cruising?

In the past I appreciated a lot the Najad building, both in term of construction and hull shapes. Because I'm now looking to change my boat, I put on the radar the Najad 440 CC but - targeting a cruising use in couple which to me means easy manouvering and stability on rough seas - I'm a bit concerned by the new hull shape made by Vrolik(Spade runner, deep and thin keel, S-Drive on a 75hp). Is there someone which experienced small crew bad weather navigation for a long time on these models? Because the use I'm definetely closer to Hallberg Rassy construction but not necessarly I'm right. I look forward hearing yours comments and experiences. Many thanks. Nilo
Nilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 06:04   #2

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
Hey!

All I can give you are my personal views, being a Swede and seing a lot of these boats. I've never owned or sailed a Najad, but been aboard a few. I have owned a very early Hallberg Rassy though.

I really liked the early HR and Najad, they were well designed, well built and nice to look at. 25 years ago, they were the boats everyone wanted for cruising but few could afford. Today I'd never buy a new HR or a Najad. Looking at the design, who designed them and the way they look they are just like any other boat today. Possibly better built and definately more expensive than most. To me, they are no longer what they used to be, they are just too mainstream. Remember that this is my personal opinnion.

I'd recommend you to look at either Malö Malö Yachts or Fantasi Fantasi Yachts - Fantasi Yachts - kundanpassning och gediget hantverk är vår tradition

The Malö yard is situated right between the Najad and HR yards, on the same Island and the Fantasi Yard is right across the bay from them. Malö has always kept to their own designers and their own ideas, building boats that the customer can customize to his own specifications if he likes. Malö just has a more solid, down to earth and personal feel than Najad and HR.

Fantsi is a family business and used to design and build small series. Now I think they only build one off or on order. Boats are built solid, make great cruisers and are oh so lovely to look at.

Just my 2 cents...

/Hampus
Old 19-02-2010, 07:23   #3

Boat: Najad 34D Aurora III
Hampus,

I was very interested in your comments re: the old Najads (and HRs). I have a Najad 34D, built in 1982. If you looked at the old Najad website, they have removed this information from their new website, the Najad 34 series ceased production in 1980. A previous owner advised me that this boat was made by Najad employees in their own time as that was the only way they could afford a Najad. I love this boat, even if it is now 28 years old. The new Najads just seem different, built for for speed rather than sailability which in my terms, means crossing oceans. Spade rudders!. Mine has a 3/4 length keel with a skeg hung rudder. Just handles marvellously well. Interested in just why you are less than impressed with the new Najads and HRs. Same reasons as myself? Other reasons? I had looked at the Malo, but it's AC, I prefer CC.

Thanks
Old 20-02-2010, 05:34   #4

Boat: gozzard 44
Concerning Fantasi 44 Pilothouse:
I saw it a few years ago at the Annapolis Show. We were very impressed with the design, particularly the interior layout. It's one of the best Raised Deck/Pilothouse designs available whereby while sitting in the saloon you look out the large side windows. Piloting can also be done from the nav station. Very high quality throughout. I don't know if any have been sold in the US but with the dollar's fall they are expensive.

Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 06:15   #5

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
Again. This is just based on my own observations and has nothing to do with facts

I do have the same view re: rudders and keels that you do. I also think that the new N and HR are built to the standards demanded by the wider market. I.E. weekend and vacation cruisers. They pretty much look like well built versions of the European production boats like Bavaria, Beneteau etc. They even use the same design offices. Nothing wrong with this.

Malo has kept to their own philosophy. They are still geared towards the more serious cruisers and they stay away from the large design offices. Their boats are still more traditional (even though they are moving away from long keels and skeg hung ruders too) than N and HR. Without having seen any statistics, I think that Malo sell fewer boats but the people who buy them really know what they want out of a boat and wouldn't just settle for anything. If I were to choose I'd go for the Fantasi first, Malö second and then look at something else third.

/Hampus
Old 20-02-2010, 06:19   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo1 View Post
Concerning Fantasi 44 Pilothouse:
Interior photos of a few of the interiors found on recent pilothouse yachts:
Pilothouse Yachts - Pilothouse Interior photos

More ➥ Pilothouse Yachts - Worldwide Directory of Pilothouse and Wheelhouse Yachts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fantasi44PH.2.jpg
Views:	2143
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	13368   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fantasi44PH.jpg
Views:	2272
Size:	326.9 KB
ID:	13369  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 13:14   #7

Boat: Buizen 48 - Equinox
Crising Hull Shapes

Bizen yachts is a family owned builder, located in Sydney, Australia.
The Buizen 48 may be of interest. Built and fitted out to the highest standards (Yacht of the year in Australia 2008), the Buizen 48 pilothouse is a low volume semi-custom vessel with substantial winged keel, 1.8M draft, good sailing and motoring performance (up to 150 HP), outstanding heavy weather performance proven in the 1998 Sydney/Hobart and 2000 Millenium around the world (winner) races, choice of a 3 or 4 cabin layout, etc.
View images and specs on the website www.buizenyachts.com.au
A new 48 is currently being prepared for shipment to a customer in London and a number are cruising the Med and Asia.

I am the proud owner of a 2002 model and feel it compares very favorably with the HR.

Buying a yacht in Australia and sailing it home to Europe would be a great shakedown cruise, alternativey use yacht transport option.

Fair winds, Rowley
Rowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010, 04:56   #8

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Najad se 37' rudder design?

Ahoy, does anyone have some drawings or pictures of the hull shape of the 1981 Najad SE 37'? Does she have a skeg hung rudder and a longish bolt on lead kee held in place by 13 s/steel bolts? How do these boats point into the wind, are they considered a motor sailer like the early Nauticats? This one weighs 9.2 tonnes and has a 65 hp engine.
Cheers from Keith.
Old 27-11-2010, 06:18   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
You might contact:
Najadvarvet AB
Box 10, 473 21 Henan, Sweden
Telephone: +46 (0) 304 692 300 Telefax: +46 (0) 304 692 301
Email: info@najad.se
or
Najad Yachts UK Ltd
Hamble Point Marina, School Lane, Hamble, Southampton, SO31 4NB
Telephone: +44 (0) 2380 455 555 Telefax: +44 (0) 2380 455 450
Email: najadsales@btclick.com

A little about the Najad SE 37'

NAJAD 37 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com

Evidently, similar to the later 371
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=6033

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010, 10:45   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Just an observation, no experience, but in reading Jeanne Socrates blog of her around the world attempts I was surprised at the number of problems she has had with her new Najad.

Sailing Vessel Nereida - Welcome to my journeys

I also am disappointed at the new hulls on the HR and Najad.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010, 16:03   #11

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Thanks Gord, I am looking at a Najad se 37' as a replacement for Eloise, appears that it does have a fully supported skeg hung rudder,has teak decks and the original volvo (puegot) MD21B engine, 2200 hrs, one big concern with any boat is the ability to weigh anchor without having to lay the chain in the anchor well, looks like this Najad has about 4' of free fall for the chain into the locker and should be ok, what do you know about them in this regard? Old motors can be refurbished! Teak decks are a minus?
cheers from Keith.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2701404.jpg
Views:	870
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	21507   Click image for larger version

Name:	_autoimageCAC79OIO.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	21508  

Name:	_autoimageCARL5B4O.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	21509  
Old 22-11-2011, 09:58   #12

Re: New Najad Hull Shapes: Are They Good for Cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilus View Post
In the past I appreciated a lot the Najad building, both in term of construction and hull shapes. Because I'm now looking to change my boat, I put on the radar the Najad 440 CC but - targeting a cruising use in couple which to me means easy manouvering and stability on rough seas - I'm a bit concerned by the new hull shape made by Vrolik(Spade runner, deep and thin keel, S-Drive on a 75hp). Is there someone which experienced small crew bad weather navigation for a long time on these models? Because the use I'm definetely closer to Hallberg Rassy construction but not necessarly I'm right. I look forward hearing yours comments and experiences. Many thanks. Nilo
I visited this boat , this year in Dusseldorf Boat Show, but i think it was the AC, above all others boats it was in the range of 40 footers my favorite .

See this video :

And this one for the AC :

They are amazing !
boggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 10:00   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemejc View Post
Hampus,

I was very interested in your comments re: the old Najads (and HRs). I have a Najad 34D, built in 1982. If you looked at the old Najad website, they have removed this information from their new website, the Najad 34 series ceased production in 1980. A previous owner advised me that this boat was made by Najad employees in their own time as that was the only way they could afford a Najad. I love this boat, even if it is now 28 years old. The new Najads just seem different, built for for speed rather than sailability which in my terms, means crossing oceans. Spade rudders!. Mine has a 3/4 length keel with a skeg hung rudder. Just handles marvellously well. Interested in just why you are less than impressed with the new Najads and HRs. Same reasons as myself? Other reasons? I had looked at the Malo, but it's AC, I prefer CC.

Thanks
I agree with you, i prefer the CC.
Old 22-11-2011, 10:03   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Just an observation, no experience, but in reading Jeanne Socrates blog of her around the world attempts I was surprised at the number of problems she has had with her new Najad.

Sailing Vessel Nereida - Welcome to my journeys

I also am disappointed at the new hulls on the HR and Najad.
Didin't she tried to be an hero ? And took many risks, is she prudent?
Old 22-11-2011, 11:06   #15
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

wait a minute. I thought najad went out of business.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, najad