Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2017, 09:55   #1

Boat: S2 9.2A
New Mainsail S2 9.2A

So I need a new Mainsail for my 30' S2 I sail in Buzzard's Bay, MA. Original mainsail was high aspect with 4 partial battens and slotted foot. Intended to sail with a 100+ genoa. Current blown out sail is low aspect with 4 full battens and slotted foot. I can't sail with anything on the headsail above a 100 or I'm overpowered due to the main shape, which I can't flatten. I want more sail control so I'm going loose-footed. But the question is: do I stay with the small roach, partial-battened original shape or move to a more modern 2 full on top, 2 partial below, with a bigger roach? I'm thinking the original designer had a reason for what he chose originally as a sail plan, but I would love more power in the main to continue to use the 100 unless the wind dies. But would that mess with the balance originally intended and built into the hull design? Any thoughts much appreciated!
Tim

Tags
mainsail, sail